To GLOMP someone...

Started by PassingTheBuck, January 22, 2009, 09:02:46 AM

PassingTheBuck

I was under the impression that it was a new word, being GLOMPED, created by Anime Fans to express or to do something.  Hence the phrase 'To Glomp' someone, but it turns out that a little research it's actually a very old word.

The original word was GLOM.

To glom on to someone - In Jack London's novels, the word "glom" means  "to steal" in the sense of grabbing something and running away with it.  The Scottish original, pronounced the same but spelled GLAM, means "to bolt down a bit of food."  Both uses are a touch different from the 1960's slang phrase "glom on to someone (or something)," which means to attach oneself to that poor person or thing in an obsessive, pesky way.

I guess all old words come back around to be used by a new generation for their own slang.  But you got to love the idea that glomping is an obsessive and pesky way of touching someone else.

C.
Craige Howlett
Finance Director
FanimeCon/Clockwork
2003-2016

RaddaX2

I always thought "glomp" was just moonspeak for violently molesting others with a big smile with a big smile on your face.
It ain't the meaning of life but the feeling of it.

Jerry

Hmm.. ironic how www.urbandictionary.com had this entry:

1.  Glomp 
verb, to glomp
NOT sexual, it is the action of one person lovingly (and dramatically) attacking another with a hug.
A glomp is often preadatory and lies somewhere in the grey area between a caring embrace, and a flying leap to tackle someone.
The term is used extesively in anime culture, as well as online in text form (anime because many anime characters do this often, and online because it is short and descriptive).

real life:
A runs at B as if to bowl her over, but instead picks up B and spins her around while squeezing her tightly.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

AnimeEmperor

Quote from: Jerry on January 22, 2009, 02:19:54 PM

1.  Glomp 
verb, to glomp
NOT sexual, it is the action of one person lovingly (and dramatically) attacking another with a hug.
A glomp is often preadatory and lies somewhere in the grey area between a caring embrace, and a flying leap to tackle someone.
The term is used extesively in anime culture, as well as online in text form (anime because many anime characters do this often, and online because it is short and descriptive).

real life:
A runs at B as if to bowl her over, but instead picks up B and spins her around while squeezing her tightly.

Yes in my opinion a glomp isn't a glomp unless you get some air time in the process.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: AnimeEmperor on January 22, 2009, 02:46:31 PM

1.  Glomp 
verb, to glomp

real life:

Yes in my opinion a glomp isn't a glomp unless you get some air time in the process.
2nd

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Gatsby

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on January 22, 2009, 09:38:28 PM
Quote from: AnimeEmperor on January 22, 2009, 02:46:31 PM

1.  Glomp 
verb, to glomp

real life:

2nd
3rd

But the definition
Quote from: PassingTheBuck on January 22, 2009, 09:02:46 AM
"glom" means  "to steal" in the sense of grabbing something and running away with it.
makes sense since most glomps are stolen hugs.

Kanzake

Glomping is dangerous and can lead to prop/costume damage :<

Pl0x to glompers to ask first kthx~
Fanime Rovers Department 2nd - Ku

Hodge Bodge

and for me a glomping event usually ends in a bloody something, usually the lip and great pics and videos.  Yet I never get tired of it, do I have a problem?
100% glomp friendly, Bring on the pain!  :X

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: ewu on February 12, 2009, 06:15:38 PM
FDA approves anti-glomping drug.

http://tinyurl.com/anti-glomping
Wow.
So they now have anti-happiness pills...
I was unaware that happy people are a "problem".

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: ewu on February 12, 2009, 10:02:16 PM
pls also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Onion
I new it was too retarded to be true.
Never heard of the Onion before. Intresting.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Ayanami Rei First Child

Well I feel a glomp isn't a glomp without airtime.

I also believe that it's SUPER important to ASK first...or AT LEAST give warning to try to dodge or catch the person.

Also jumping up to grab someone's neck is a good way to cause injury to that person and possibly you as well.

Personally I LOVE glomps from women. If they want to glomp me then the answer is almost always "yes". I miss that one Mithra that was there during my first Fanime. She gave GREAT glomps <3

TC X0 Lt 0X

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Ayanami Rei First Child

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on February 19, 2009, 12:25:36 AM
Quote from: Ayanami Rei First Child on February 19, 2009, 12:10:45 AM
Personally I LOVE glomps from women.
Don't we all...
Not everyone...but I'm sure with enough brainwashing we can change their minds >=)

TC X0 Lt 0X

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Ayanami Rei First Child

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on February 19, 2009, 06:36:30 PM
Quote from: Ayanami Rei First Child on February 19, 2009, 06:25:16 PM
Don't we all...
Not everyone...but I'm sure with enough brainwashing we can change their minds >=)
Yes...
Now it begins...
*Insert evil laughter* Now who shall we show the error of their ways to first...?

PyronIkari

Don't we all...

Yeah, who doesn't love ugly overweight women you don't know touching you inappropriately.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: PyronIkari on February 20, 2009, 01:37:46 PM
Don't we all...

Yeah, who doesn't love ugly overweight women you don't know touching you inappropriately.

Hey hey hey!

Ugly overweight men do it too...
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: PyronIkari on February 20, 2009, 01:37:46 PM
Don't we all...

You don't?

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.