question about artists alley

Started by izy, January 24, 2009, 05:10:36 PM

megamoth

ewu

Quote from: Hirotona on February 26, 2009, 09:26:20 PM
When do you think you'll have a confirm/deny on additional tables then? Not to be inpatient, but since I'm working hard canvassing my artist friends to come and sell I don't want to be giving them a false impression they'll be space open for them when there might not be.

Also when might you know if people who registered for this year last year might not be able to make it this year, thus freeing up their table for someone else?

We really can not give you any firm date. Rest assured, even without your e-mails and forum posts, there is substantial pressure for us to get things squared away, but some things we have no control over and can not predict. We are working to our best ability and will let you know as soon as we hear.

Most artists do not inform us that they are not showing till the day of. Historically we have a 90% show rate, but in 2008, nearly all the artists claimed their tables. So in short, we can not tell you till the first day AA is open.

I understand that artists would like to produce items for this event specifically, but ultimately this event is not established for that purpose. It is to help artists practice their trade, share their creations and improve their work. The items sold should be produced already in the course of a year's work as an artist. This event was established to be a community and not a business proposition.

We will let you know when we know.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Hirotona

Alright thank you. I didn't mean to give the impression they'd only sell at this con, far from it in fact. These are artists who have sold at other conventions, such as AE, AN, and even Comic World in Korea, who do have a body of work all set to sell. Trust me the AA community at Fanime is the main reason I even attend in the first place, and I'd only work to further grow and strengthen it.

ewu

heh not pointed at you, but a general statement in response to e-mails and posts i have seen.

Changing AA for the better? sure!:) Plans are in the works!
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

sunrise-oasis

kay new question...a huge one!
I noticed everyone is submitted the june 2008 contract but back then the site is very very, """!Simple!"""
My question is, are you guys accepting the 2008 contract which is posted here http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/thefirmt/contract.jpg  or the one that was supposed to be here! http://www.fanime.com/registration.html#artists

Another question is what where the days that was release for the 2008 Contracts..
another is what days were release for the 2009 contracts (meaning how long did you put those links as an active link before you close them down [(temporary)]

Another one is how would you considered Table sharing!???I mean, is that allowed? (seriously i never knew you can share a table)

another big question is the wait list! if NO one shows up for the first day and decided to show up on the second day later on...do They STILL have the privalage to obtain the table???
I wont ask for the third day since that begins to die down and I know Friday and Saturday are the only days that are highest Artist alley peak moments!

yes this is for fans by fans alone, but was'nt this also comfirmed that most of them are there for volunteering for obtaining a free pass for fanime by doing some certain hours?....
its not an insult or a threat, its just hard to tell whos a fan and whos taking advantage of it!? very concern here!

My final hope question is..::
IS there any way to get notified that the site will have the contracts release? or how does the wait list works????

I know these are alot of questions but its mostly dirrected towards the audience or Web viewers here instead of the AA staff! I want to know who is really serious on taking a huge step on making their dreams a reality and those who are just.....uhm..... obtaining a certain acheivement for their succession.

its strange how you can register easily from early winter but then all of a sudden it was shut down around jan because of the new site update! not only that but findining the contract from the old site was very hard and un mentionable from before.. Not only that but half the boards of messages from the 2008 threads were completely Pinned or Locked!.
I am not hear to judge or be harsh but im here making a statement to find out how such a demand has increased!
I fear next year is going to be sold out from the very start so if I cannot obtain a table for this year, I might have to camp out for 2010's Fanime A.a Registration !

****its okay if you cannot answer most of those questions, but at least one is already answered..right now I guess the best thing I can do is cross my fingers and reload both my Cellphone and my Computer and hope for the best v-v.****

darkkako

I honestly can't understand most of your post, but Eric stated in the FAQ that using the 2008 contract is not acceptable. You'll have to wait for the 2009 one to go back online.

sunrise-oasis

Quote from: darkkako on February 28, 2009, 06:03:50 PM
I honestly can't understand most of your post, but Eric stated in the FAQ that using the 2008 contract is not acceptable. You'll have to wait for the 2009 one to go back online.

oh thank goodness...
(yeah that one i was very very worried......so maybe there can be a big slim chance...)
although i fear that Febuary 16th might be the last one to be submitted to this.....

\thanks for the infor^_^! i feel relieve!

Pimpstress Rei

To get a staff badge, you must put in a minimum of 24 hours of volunteer work for Fanime.

Say minimum wage is $7/hr.

24 x 7 = $168 dollars you could have made.

It would be much cheaper to just work those hours on your own and buy a weekend badge than to staff for a weekend badge.

Keep in mind the higher up the staff chain you are, the more hours you put in. I can honestly say that I personally volunteer a few hundred hours for Fanime.

It is not in your best interest to continue making insensitive comments toward the staff and yet still expect to purchase a table on your terms. Be courteous to our staff as well as other volunteers. Again, this convention is run by fans, for fans and we all want to have fun before and during the convention.
Marie F.
Vice-Chair 2009-2011
Assistant Director of Marketing 2008
Publications Manager 2006, 2007
Con Mom forever o.O

Oniko

uh I've seen people share tables before if you mean two people to a table.

Also for the record or Fri/Sat being peak hours I dont agree.  I sold a lot of sunday as well, close to or maybe even more than the other days.  Sunday is the day you get people running around with ones and fives burning holes in their pokect and they are just inching for a quick buy before they leave.
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

sunrise-oasis

oh never new that...
but then last time I sold more items on friday and saturday.. sunday felt abit slow...

on to more questions:::
There was an art auction from different artist (mostly from the table regis). Do youhave to be an artist alley member to post an auction artwork?

darkkako

Honestly, Sunrise, everything you said has sounded pretty aggressive and rude to me. But I'd rather avoid drama, so I won't elaborate. Just try to be a little more careful with what you say, the AA staff is working as hard as they can and aren't going to do any better with us constantly stressing them out. ):

As far as I know, the Art Show is a completely different event from the AA and you do not need to be part of the AA to put art in it. It has a seperate page dedicated to it, which has yet to be updated. I'm sure that it's being worked on, though, and the information will be up with plenty of time to spare before the convention.

ewu

Remember people, Fanime is not a right. None of the events and programming that Fanime puts on is mandated by any moral, legal or religious obligation. Furthermore Fanime has reinvested all profits, if any, back into the convention. There is no monetary motivation for the convention to happen. The only reason the convention happens is the passion and love that the staff have for the convention. The only reason con happens is because the staff of Fanime choose to give hundreds or even thousands of unpaid hours a year PER staff member to plan con. (yes, I do spend more than 100 hours a month on Fanime)

Quote from: Pimpstress Rei on February 28, 2009, 08:24:37 PM
It is not in your best interest to continue making insensitive comments toward the staff and yet still expect to purchase a table on your terms.

This is important to note because if Fanime is not a right, there is the tiny, minute, and nearly infinitesimal chance that the privilege of the event or the entire con can be denied. And more important to note is that the staff do this cuz its fun, and if its not fun anymore then there will be no staff to run the event. When frustration outweighs passion, staff do not return to work the con. What seems to be the rule @ Fanime is that this passion is so strong but frustration so persistent that people end up burning out and not being ABLE to return as opposed to not wanting to return.

So please inquire if you have questions. Please also check if the question has already been answered. Please respond to a post if you have the answer (if you are a little off, I will be here to correct it). And please educate your fellow posters about whats up.

I love Fanime, but its kicken my ass. My second in command regularly threatens to take away my forum access:) So, your cooperation, help, and patience is appreciated!
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

ewu

Quote from: sunrise-oasis on February 28, 2009, 05:34:47 PM
yes this is for fans by fans alone, but was'nt this also comfirmed that most of them are there for volunteering for obtaining a free pass for fanime by doing some certain hours?....
its not an insult or a threat, its just hard to tell whos a fan and whos taking advantage of it!? very concern here!

Each year there are 2-10 tables reserved for those that design and create the images on the badges, the characters on the program guides, and the designs you see on Fanime media. The tables are part of the compensation for their work to create pieces of unique art that are to become the property of Fanime. Aside from those handful, everyone is a paying member/attendee of the convention.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

ewu

*sigh* when I am known as Eric and not Ewu on the forums.....I have posted too much:P
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Steve.Young

Quote from: ewu on March 01, 2009, 12:40:24 AM

*sigh* when I am known as Eric and not Ewu on the forums.....I have posted too much:P

*looks at your signature*

*Ahem* You sorta do it to yourself.

Just saying.

On topic: I put in a lot of hours just managing a department, imagine running an entire division.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

sunrise-oasis

Thank you so for much, now I understand how the department of the adminisrations work. I am going to enjkoy fanime con when I arrived there even if I dont have the table registtration. thank you for all your cooperation and your answers!....

I really am kinda relieved and I want to apologized for asking so many questions and frustrated alot of users..Im not flaming nor being very Dramatic! I just want these important questions to be answer!..
Thank you very much..and hope to see you all at fanime con!

-White domino!

imoto

Hay guys,
just as a side note i dont mind people sharing tables just please be aware: if you are an artist selling your work you need your own sellers permit. If we come around and see two diffrent artists selling there work at one table and we only have one sellers permit listed you will be removed from AA. Yes this is a big deal to us all sales must be legal and all that. It is Easye to atain a sellers permit just check out stuff under the events post.
Also if your planing on sharing a table please e-mail us letting us know ( [email protected] ) who you will be sharing with.
Sorry for having to be the evil AA head ^^;;
Forgive me
~ Stacy

(also posted under sharing tables thread )

Oniko

Fanime 08 seems so long ago so my memory is a little fuzzy
I remember signign up for a table in 2008 btu we didnt pay then right?  also I checked the FAQ and saw that if we signed up in 2008 it means we just wait till seating charts are out becuase we dont need to fill out a contract again.  I just want to comfirm all this. thanks for your time.
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

jAded

Quote from: Oniko on March 04, 2009, 08:19:20 AM
Fanime 08 seems so long ago so my memory is a little fuzzy
I remember signign up for a table in 2008 btu we didnt pay then right?  also I checked the FAQ and saw that if we signed up in 2008 it means we just wait till seating charts are out becuase we dont need to fill out a contract again.  I just want to comfirm all this. thanks for your time.

I know I paid, I still have my receipt and the copy of the check that I wrote when I signed up in 08 for my 09 table. So I hope you paid? 8D;;

imoto

if you pre-reged at the 2008 con we did take your money. you had to pay at the time you registered.
And yes just sit tight the seating chart will be coming around

Side note: This year only pre-reg people will get to pick there tables