Something I've been curious about

Started by Knightfire, January 27, 2009, 05:15:52 PM

Knightfire

Here is something a good friend and I have been wondering about a good 5 or so years now. Why did the convention move from the Santa Clara convention center to it's current location in San Jose? Not really complaining (hell, the current location is only 5 minutes away from where I live), we just thought that the Santa Clara location felt more "epic".
Starting work for Fanime 2011

PyronIkari

Quote from: Knightfire on January 27, 2009, 05:15:52 PM
Here is something a good friend and I have been wondering about a good 5 or so years now. Why did the convention move from the Santa Clara convention center to it's current location in San Jose? Not really complaining (hell, the current location is only 5 minutes away from where I live), we just thought that the Santa Clara location felt more "epic".

Santa Clara can fit 15,000 people?

The easy answer is just that. Venue was too small for the turnout. Not enough hotels around the area, not a big enough space, etc. etc. etc.

Knightfire

Really? Santa Clara felt bigger than the San Jose convention center. Maybe it's just the architecture, or Nostalgia goggles (First Fanime was at the Santa Clara location). I can overnight rooming being an issue there, though.
Starting work for Fanime 2011

ewu

the cap of SCCC is smaller and not as many ballrooms for panels and vid rooms. The attached hotels arnt much help....

SJCC roughly 40-50,000 cap and serves our needs for rooms:)
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Gwydion

I remember when I worked as part of Con Ops security in 2003 (which became today's Rovers) the hotel was reeeeally stingy about their keycards towards the staff. We had to get a card from a binder that HAD to stay in Ops, unlock our door, THEN come back down and return the key. Really stupid. As if anyone wanted their silly bits of plastic.

Anyways, the SJCC is FAR better than Santa Clara. For another thing, there is more than one single pizza place within a three block walk distance. ^^

M

There's actually many reasons why we moved the convention to the SJCC, but the main reasons were the capacity, location, and what's around (hotel, food, etc.).
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

DomoKun

Does anyone know how many people attended last year?

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

RadioactiveKitty

easier answer... coz my parents live in santa clara, and i live very close to the SC convention center... they knew i was coming lolol JK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i dunno but honestly it is better, coz HONESTLY i think if the convention center was closer they would protest. they have thought about it in the past... protesting, but they figure whats the point, it is out of the way, not like the SC convention center. and plus I LOVE THE HOTELS MORE IN SAN JOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!