WonderCon Anyone?

Started by codex biblio, January 30, 2009, 09:51:30 PM

Mister_E

3 of my friends went during the weekend, they mainly wanted to go for the Watchmen panel and to buy comics.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

lyricaldanichan

Yeah a lot of cool watchman posters and buttons, I also seen them giving out those Wonder Woman headband. The Alien Trespass posters were awesome especially how the campy 50's look.

Quote from: codex biblio on March 02, 2009, 10:41:34 PM
It was very crowded on Saturday. Does anyone know what they were giving out at the DC booth? By the time I got there, it was totally cleared out. I'm assuming it was something Watchmen related.

Raymei

Quote from: Mister_E on March 02, 2009, 10:50:05 PM
3 of my friends went during the weekend, they mainly wanted to go for the Watchmen panel and to buy comics.

Yeah, we went to see that panel but it was filled WAY before they even started letting people in.  "Con Nazi" was just telling people to turn around and go back downstairs (after the people at registration had told us to go up this way)  so I walked up to the guy (the entire time him telling me to turn around XD ) and asked him "Is it full?"
"Yes, it is full, turn around."
"Then say that, thank you."

He was an ass.  T_T

Jerry

sorry to hear u had a bad experience, with WonderCon being the baby version of Comic Con, expect lines for form anywhere between 2 to 4 hours BEFORE the event even starts.

Big draws last year at Comic Con - Heroes, Watchmen, Terminator Salvation, Kevin Smith and a few others, ppl CAMPED out the night before the day of the event.

THAT was hardcore. :P
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Mister_E

Oh and another thing is my friends saw Mark Hamill!!! I would of killed to meet Mark Hamill!
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

codex biblio

Quote from: Mister_E on March 04, 2009, 09:46:33 PM
Oh and another thing is my friends saw Mark Hamill!!! I would of killed to meet Mark Hamill!

No need for killing. Just $100. I heard that's what he was charging for autographs.

I was surprised there was no killing in the Watchmen line. I was picking up my pass at 9:30am and the Watchmen line was already insanely long. (And I don't think that panel was due to start until 11:30am)

Mister_E

Yeah my friends during the Watchmen panel said they were saving seats fo the "important" people or something like that and they sat in the far back in you strech out your arm and pinch your finger to the size of a...small pea, maybe smaller that's how big their heads were to them.

And for the $100 thing I would maybe MAYBE pay the money me being a huge Star Wars fan and all.

Jerry

$100 for mark hammil?

really he was free at comic on. to meet and get autographs with... i think.   ... weird. :P

Raymei

Quote from: Jerry on March 04, 2009, 10:25:21 PM
$100 for mark hammil?

really he was free at comic on. to meet and get autographs with... i think.   ... weird. :P

Kerry Fisher (in the same booth) was $35.
I was on a "no spend" bind, though, so I got neither.  I *did* score in getting a pathetic shot of Mark Hammil (but I GOT it!).  I almost got a photo of Kerry Fisher too, but a guy leaning to the left stood straight again just as I snapped the shot.   T.T;;;  dang.

And Jerry, the trip itself wasn't bad  :)   I just left it feeling a little misanthropic by the end of the day with all the unattended childrens and ankle-destroying strollers around   lol

Rette

I got Gigi Edgley's autograph! I really wanted to get David Franklin's too but he left by the time I got back from the ATM.
Also got the signature of the author of the new Farscape comic books!
Also checked out the Starship Smackdown on Sunday which was pretty fun.
All in all an awesome weekend!

Though there was someone who said my Death (from the Sandman) costume looked like it was from Sweeney Todd. I was confused.

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Member of Three Dollar Laugh Cosplay

Jerry

Quote from: Raymei on March 04, 2009, 10:57:47 PM

And Jerry, the trip itself wasn't bad  :)   I just left it feeling a little misanthropic by the end of the day with all the unattended childrens and ankle-destroying strollers around   lol

yeah its tough getting those shots, at Comic Con celebrities KNOW theyre getting pictures taken so they purposely move around alot to purposely mess up photos unless u have a high speed lens :P

and NOT all kids attack your ankles... heres my awesome example:

^^^  attack stroller park here -  but this was the coolest mini storm trooper of them all!

and look its a sweet little girl. proving that not all troopers have to be boys.

and NO - i did not stalk her at all. okay maybe a little. :)

Raymei

OH!
*THAT* is awesome!

Yeah I didn't see a whole lot of kids in costume at all, let alone seemingly voluntarily.  See, that kid looks like she wanted to be there.  My biggest problem with the kid-parade was that so many of them were crying and looked absolutely miserable.  Their parents weren't happy because they wanted to look at stuff and the kids were fussy, the kids weren't happy because there was nothing for them to do and they were bored, and *I* wasn't happy because they brought their downer-syndrome to a place of Wonder (no pun intended lol).

It looked like very few parents were trying to include their kids, like show them stuff and introduce them to the world of comics, games, anime and more  (it was more like "we can't afford a babysitter in this economy but we can afford to buy a whole bunch of swag  T_T;; )

Bah.
I just kept thinking of the lady with 14 kids  lol

Shinsengumi

Quote from: Jerry on March 04, 2009, 10:25:21 PM
$100 for mark hammil?

I heard he was there, damn it, I would like to him if I only had some cash to go :'(
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Mister_E

I heard Adam West was there also.

Jerry

Quote from: Mister_E on March 06, 2009, 01:02:57 PM

the mayor of Quahog? nice. :D

Hakaru_chan

another comment i have to make about wondercon this year was the fact that... i duno, besides it being too overwhelming, it also felt cramped up and unspacious. i had to bring my little sister and it was even difficult for her to walk around without being able to move her arms freely. i was so afraid of her getting stepped on too. it could have been because they moved the registration on the bottom floor and instead of using the whole entire space of that room for stuff they basically used only half. i was thinking that maybe when the peak hours of registration are over, they can reduce the space of all that empty stuff but i guess that could be too difficult.
Backstage Personality for CWF - Cosplay Wrestling Federation
www.twitch.tv/cwfnetwork

Jerry

hence that is why you take the little ones and place them on your shoulders

like thus:

It worked for Raymei and im sure it will work for you. :)

maybe I'll try it at Fanime with one of my friends. :P

Mister_E

Quote from: Jerry on March 06, 2009, 02:06:23 PM

Well more so Batman than the Mayor.

Runewitt

you should have taken him taffy.

Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

Mister_E

Quote from: Runewitt on March 06, 2009, 06:29:21 PM

you should have taken him taffy.

I might of if I went there but that would dented my Fanime funding like no other.