What does your name mean to you?

Started by L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu, February 02, 2009, 12:49:08 PM

XpHoBiaX

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on February 04, 2009, 09:15:25 PM
Quote from: XpHoBiaX on February 04, 2009, 08:57:24 PM
For a loooooong time I hated my name. I loathed it. My middle name is Mary. I don't know what it stands for, but I wouldn't mind looking it up later. Sometimes I wished I could have been called Mary.

I don't really know what to say about my name, for a long time I haven't really put any thought to it. I don't 'feel' like a Christina.  Nor do I think I look like one. I feel its too fancy for someone like me. To me it's long, unexciting, and the kids can't pronounce it. >:/ 

Someone who can somewhat relate.

Not being able to identify with your name is a pretty bad feeling, and having an "overly fancy" name has a sort of pressure a lot of people don't understand. I rarely actually used my first name on most occasions for most of my life, since I was always referred to either my middle name or a nickname. (I've had several nicknames in my life, and my family primarily calls me Niu-niu.)

But you know, can't go without a name. People have to call you something.

You said it Jun. I go by my nickname more then anything else. But that doesn't soothe the fact of how I feel about my name. Many people tell me it's a beautiful name, don't get me wrong it is, but it's not for me. It sort of feels like I am not a human, since I don't have a name.

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on February 04, 2009, 10:00:55 PM
For a loooooong time I hated my name. I loathed it. My middle name is Mary. I don't know what it stands for, but I wouldn't mind looking it up later. Sometimes I wished I could have been called Mary.

I don't really know what to say about my name, for a long time I haven't really put any thought to it. I don't 'feel' like a Christina.  Nor do I think I look like one. I feel its too fancy for someone like me. To me it's long, unexciting, and the kids can't pronounce it. >:/ 

Not being able to identify with your name is a pretty bad feeling, and having an "overly fancy" name has a sort of pressure a lot of people don't understand. I rarely actually used my first name on most occasions for most of my life, since I was always referred to either my middle name or a nickname. (I've had several nicknames in my life, and my family primarily calls me Niu-niu.)

You said it Jun. I go by my nickname more then anything else. But that doesn't soothe the fact of how I feel about my name. Many people tell me it's a beautiful name, don't get me wrong it is, but it's not for me. It sort of feels like I am not a human, since I don't have a name.

Heh, yeah. I don't think any of my names are particularly bad, either, but not being able to identify with them feels pretty empty, and it feels inhuman to be nameless. If I were to find something new for myself, though, it wouldn't particularly fancy, nor will it be plain enough for me to be confused with someone else on a regular basis.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

XpHoBiaX

Same. But I think I'll just stick with what I got. Why change it now, you know? People know me not just by the name, but who I am. I wouldn't know what to do with a brand spankin' new name. That would mean I'd either have to start over or be completely different too. You wouldn't know who you were/are at all then.To me at least. Talk about a personal identity crisis. lol

It's just to me a name is something quite personal and very important to have. People should be secure with themselves and their name. It should identify who they are, and should 'match' them. Not something they should 'live up too' or chose because it sounded cool. I feel a lot of the time when I tell people my name, I am judged on it. Looks, personality, intelligence. Especially over the phone. It's like I have to live up to the decor and frillyness the name suggests.

Maybe I should just call myself BOB. >:/ Regardless of meaning, sexual preference, and common usage.

2010 cosplay...?

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on February 04, 2009, 10:49:46 PM
Same. But I think I'll just stick with what I got. Why change it now, you know? People know me not just by the name, but who I am. I wouldn't know what to do with a brand spankin' new name. That would mean I'd either have to start over or be completely different too. You wouldn't know who you were/are at all then.To me at least. Talk about a personal identity crisis. lol

It's just to me a name is something quite personal and very important to have. People should be secure with themselves and their name. It should identify who they are, and should 'match' them. Not something they should 'live up too' or chose because it sounded cool. I feel a lot of the time when I tell people my name, I am judged on it. Looks, personality, intelligence. Especially over the phone. It's like I have to live up to the decor and frillyness the name suggests.

Maybe I should just call myself BOB. >:/ Regardless of meaning, sexual preference, and common usage.

I'm all about identity issues, so choosing to change my name isn't a huge stretch. :U

I do, however, feel that it's important. It's because I have such a hard time identifying with the ones I have, and how difficult it is to find one to use instead is the reason why I put such a big deal in having a name. It is a personal thing to have, and it's what others identify with to you, too.

I'm actually pressured to find something soon, though. It's cheaper and more convenient for me to do so now that I'm still 18. Haha.

P.S. There's a webcomic called "A Girl Named Bob" that I remembered liking when it was still somewhat active.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

questionette

My mom named me after queen Victoria (and my sister after queen Elizabeth xD)
I hated my name growing up...ohhh goddd the things little kids would say
"Icky Vicky"
"Toe (shorter nickname from tori)"
and my favorite
"...so, what's your secret Victoria?"
and I remember in elementary school when we were all learning our alphabet and finding animals that match the first letters of our names,
Penelope was a Pink Pony
Jennifer was a Jumping Jackrabbit
Christina was a Cute Cat
.....and me,
"Victoria the Vacuuming Vulture."
*facepalm*

but I finally started using my full name two years ago, and I'm proud of it now
Victoria = victory
and totally describes my internal drive to accomplish everything I need to

:D

otakuapprentice

Quote from: questionette on February 04, 2009, 11:11:59 PM

"Victoria the Voluptuous Vixen."
fixed.

As for me(personally), my name means I can poke fun at my religion(If you haven't realized it yet, my first name is Jesus); Other than that, there is some significance behind my name and why my mom chose it(If you want to know, ask me in person and I might tell you).
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

SOawesomeness

My first name is too... white... >.> Like, it's okay because I'm used to it, but I'd rather be called something entirely different. To me, if adults don't call me by my full name and I have to call them "Mr./Mrs./Ms...etc," then I get offended. It's a respect thing. And weird, especially when I don't consider them a friend/close enough to nickname me.

My Korean name, 다해, apparently means 'lots of grace' or something. I might have spelled it wrong, actually... but to me, it sounds like "do it all" so.. yeah. >.>
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

Mister_E

That elementary school name game that questionette said all I got was Jerky Joss.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

rude32

DAVID

Usage: English, Jewish, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Czech, Slovene, German, Scandinavian, Dutch, Biblical

Other Scripts: דָוִד (Hebrew), Давид (Russian)

Possibly derived from Hebrew דוד (dvd) meaning "beloved". David was the second and greatest of the kings of Israel, ruling in the 10th century BC. Several stories about him are told in the Old Testament, including his defeat of Goliath, a giant Philistine. Jesus was supposedly descended from him.
This name has been used in Britain since the Middle Ages. It has been especially popular in Wales, where it is used in honour of the 5th-century patron saint of Wales (also called Dewi), as well as in Scotland, where it was borne by two kings.

Whoa apparenlty Dr. O is a descendant of mine.
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

L3sli3_Lov3s_Chu

Another thing with my name is that it blends in with my familys names.... Like, my grannys name is Laura, my mommys name is Angela, my sisters name is Rachel, and my name is Leslie. It would've sucked hardcore if my mom had named me me something out of place like Shaleekwa.

Also, there are lots of Roberts in our family... Like three of four of 'em. Maybe more.

The boy's name Robert \r(o)-be-rt\ is pronounced RAH-bert. It is of Old German origin, and its meaning is "bright fame".

I love my little cousins name, it totally describes him. His name is Aiden, it means little ball of fire. How cute!

Luckily my name isn't too much OR too little. It's just right for me. Alot of people say I have a pretty name... Alot of people also say I have a very "white people-ish" name. But none the less, I love it.

Thanks, Daddy!  ;D

Steve.Young

Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Jun-Watarase

So uh.... what is your secret, Victoria?

FanimaidCafe.com

Barnes

So, according to that site Sunara linked to, my name goes like this:

QuoteKevin
Handsome, Beautiful
Origin: Celtic/Gaelic

What the?
*Looks in a mirror and disagrees to some extent*
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Sunara Ishi

Well... I hated my name for the longest time too. XD; Not so much the last name but the 1st and middle. Being told by your parents in a joke that your name meant "Sandy Jeans", just sucks. Kind of makes you dislike your own name also. D: Not liking your own names leaves a bad taste. D:

@XphobiaX: You know that you can go by your middle name, right? There is nothing saying you can't.

I would have but my middle name sucks. I wish I had thought about the "Jane" pronunciation sooner. O: All I ever knew was "jean" as in "jeans." But this late in the game, I won't bother.

@Jun: Sun is actually one of the abbreviations of Sunara that I like to go by when playing games or online. XD;
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

XpHoBiaX

Quote@XphobiaX: You know that you can go by your middle name, right? There is nothing saying you can't.

lol My b/f's ex wifes' name is Mary... The woman is a real you-know-what, if you get my drift. He's truamatized enough. lol Maybe someday I'll come to like my name. Maybe I still have some changes to go through, you know?

2010 cosplay...?