Industry Guests

Started by Sheepy, February 02, 2009, 08:56:14 PM

Sheepy

Hi everyone, this is Yang from GR.

I'd like to see if people are interested to see Industry Guests at Fanime, being more specific company representatives as Guests.
It seems like people had fun watching ALL of Gainax show up in 2008...

It's always cool to meet the production crew of our favorite things!

So, any ideas?
Animation companies, game companies, anything relevant is fair game for discussion!

EX: Capcom, ArcSystem Works, Studio 4C, Madhouse, etc etc.
I'm just throwing whatever is coming up in my head for now.
Fanime Guest Relations Head

May our drills pierce through the skies!
...and please give me a larger budget Q_Q.

Fanime '09 -

PyronIkari

The only Industry guest I would think would be really interesting to see would be people from SHAFT. In terms of industry industry. Though, having the people from Overflow(18+) would be awesome.

It'd be more to hear about the artistic nature of what they do and see how they come up with what they do. Most studios are usually just quality. They don't put that extra bonus or that boost to make it something unique.

Mantaray3000

If you could get people form Square Enix, Capcom or Konami that would be awesome!

Chun

Online Gaming Planet (OGP) has been interested in a venue since last year of being able to hold a booth in the dealer's room and promoting their games.

They also tie in with a possible third year Pangya panel that I have in mind.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

FanFicGuru

BONES studio would be interesting to see, what with the release of Sword of a Stranger and the latest Afro Samurai movie.

Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

puyo_pop

gainax~~~ come back!
i'm still bummed i missed them

can we get anyone from nintendo or square enix?  or even people who are in the gaming magazine industries like nintendo power, playstation magazine, etc

Hakaru_chan

i second that! it would be nice if they came back...  ;D
Quote from: Sheepy on February 02, 2009, 08:56:14 PM
Hi everyone, this is Yang from GR.

I'd like to see if people are interested to see Industry Guests at Fanime, being more specific company representatives as Guests.
It seems like people had fun watching ALL of Gainax show up in 2008...

i was already nervous coming in that room watching them WATCH US  :)

anyways i agree with the afro samurai thing since that game just recently came out and its already getting popular with the hollywood scene. i was thinking along the lines of video gaming industry companies that are local or within california (for their convience) atlus (tho i think i read in another thread that this could be a problem), namco etc. also manga publishers like from viz media and such etc.
Backstage Personality for CWF - Cosplay Wrestling Federation
www.twitch.tv/cwfnetwork

PyronIkari

Quote from: Hakaru_chan on February 15, 2009, 04:35:11 PM
i second that! it would be nice if they came back...  ;D

i was already nervous coming in that room watching them WATCH US  :)

anyways i agree with the afro samurai thing since that game just recently came out and its already getting popular with the hollywood scene. i was thinking along the lines of video gaming industry companies that are local or within california (for their convience) atlus (tho i think i read in another thread that this could be a problem), namco etc. also manga publishers like from viz media and such etc.

"Atlus" came, no one cared. We gave out a bunch of phone straps.

LordKefka

Oh man...let's see..

Bones
Madhouse
Studio 4C

I would mention Gonzo... actually, yeah, Gonzo... if possible... :V

Seriously, if you can get any of these to come... n (_ _) n
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Sheepy

Thanks for the info guys :).

...btw, how come I didn't know about Atlus at Fanime -_-lll.
Fanime Guest Relations Head

May our drills pierce through the skies!
...and please give me a larger budget Q_Q.

Fanime '09 -

PyronIkari

Quote from: Sheepy on February 16, 2009, 12:17:31 PM

Because it wasn't "officially" ATLUS. It was 3 people that worked at Atlus doing a gaming panel. 4 people showed up. The panel also had employees from EA, and 1Up.

slifertheskydragon

invite 4kids for wincakes. :D

Personally if you could get MADhouse... i'd love fanime forever. XD

isn't bandai getting gundam 00? i think it'd be great for them to come

Hakaru_chan

Quote from: PyronIkari on February 16, 2009, 04:18:29 PM
Quote from: Sheepy on February 16, 2009, 12:17:31 PM

Because it wasn't "officially" ATLUS. It was 3 people that worked at Atlus doing a gaming panel. 4 people showed up. The panel also had employees from EA, and 1Up.

umm... maybe it just wasn't advertised properly? like if you made a panel with the title " how to get a job in the .... business" im sure people will come because of this current economy...

actually... what i want to hear is someone that really works behind the scenes in the anime industry... like those animation editors, video editors, translaters, inbetweeners, even interns... because i plan to get into the industry myself so knowledgeable panels that give out information would be interesting for people like me who want to get into this industry
Backstage Personality for CWF - Cosplay Wrestling Federation
www.twitch.tv/cwfnetwork

PyronIkari

Quote from: Hakaru_chan on February 17, 2009, 10:05:43 PM

umm... maybe it just wasn't advertised properly? like if you made a panel with the title " how to get a job in the .... business" im sure people will come because of this current economy...

actually... what i want to hear is someone that really works behind the scenes in the anime industry... like those animation editors, video editors, translaters, inbetweeners, even interns... because i plan to get into the industry myself so knowledgeable panels that give out information would be interesting for people like me who want to get into this industry

The description was something along the lines of... "An open Q&A panel about the video game industry with employees from Atlus, EA, and other gaming companies and sites. Come join and talk about the industry, the trends and current states of the video game world, past and present" or something.

Once more, 4 people showed up.

The thing with industry panels that I have noticed, are that people don't know what to ask. People don't really know why they want to see Industry as they have nothing to really gain or know what they can gain from it.

Quick question to everyone that replied to this thread. WHY do you request the people you do, and what would you ask them/hope to gain from it?

LordKefka

Hi-mit-su

But honestly, I have a few questions with some of their works I've seen in the past. Don't have the questions in front of me but it's something to think about when things are official (I guess if even any of the things I mention happens to begin with O.o).
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Yukari Kaiba

I'd love to see reps from Capcom, Nintendo, Square Enix, Bandai, and Udon Entertainment =D
FANIME '14 COSPLAY
-Gundam Tanaka (Super Dangan Ronpa 2)
-Tetra (Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
-Levi (Attack On Titan)
-Wanderer (Journey)

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Yukari Kaiba on February 19, 2009, 07:58:02 PM
I'd love to see reps from Capcom, Nintendo, Square Enix, Bandai, and Udon Entertainment =D

But pyron's question is still valid: Why? What would you ask them? Especially with names like Nintendo and Square Enix they don't want to come out to be greeted by like, 6-12 guys with dumb questions for an hour. There should be a real desire and goal in them coming out...not just as a cool little sidebar thing.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Supershoe

hmm... I guess Valve? Maybe Namco or Bandai?

Loreax

I didn't know about the panels, I didn't even know about the fanime forums until this year....

I think the problem is both poor notification and figuring out what to say...
If you want to meet people in the gaming industry then you should go to one of the game developers conferences http://www.gdconf.com/

I'd like to meet anime and manga insiders just to meet them, hear their personal stories...

Like this person
vvvv

PyronIkari

Quote from: Loreax on April 25, 2009, 04:53:24 PM

Like this person
vvvv

Hearing personal stories is amusing, but that's not means to spend thousands to bring them to the US for them to tell 2-3 stories.

Translators have a boring horrible job for the most part, talking to them is like talking to a programmer. "I sit behind a computer and translate text, and talk to other translators when we have concerns how something should be translated. Then I give it to the editor who changes all my translations to how he sees fit..."

What questions would you actually have, or would you like to know? Frankly, I could answer most of them, and if I can't, I'm an IM/Gchat away from someone who can. It's nice knowing artists/character designers for major studios and projects. I'll tell you in advance though, you won't gain any amazing knowledge that will help you. If you plan on getting into the industry, your best bet is to learn the trade... legitimately. Learn to be a good video editor, learn to be a good artist, learn to write, etc... and apply. Funny thing is, with those skills, you could go into a much better position than into the anime/manga world. You either have to have a lot of passion for it(considering how I know manga artists have weekly deadlines of 20 pages that work about 80 hours a week, and spend up to 5 days straight in the office while having higher ups breathing down their necks) and not care about the poor pay... or be rich already and use it as a hobby.

If you're talking about the American industry involving translation, localization, etc... it's just like any other job in that field...

Once more, I wonder what people actually want to get out of this, and what they think they will.