Re: Hotel Deposits

Started by Moonblossom, January 30, 2009, 02:01:53 PM

chanocular

Quote from: WaffoCellist on April 15, 2009, 03:30:57 PM
I did my homework...staying at the Marriott this year.

The Marriott charges a $100/per day deposit fee.  So if you spend 3 nights at the Marriott, expect to make a deposit of $300 on top of your daily rate charge.  If you use cash or debit, they will automatically charge you for the deposit fee and expect payment up front (yes, this will show up right away on your debit card).  Best bet is to charge on a credit card - the deposit just ends up as a hold on your account and clears after you check out - pending of course there are no damages to the room since you checked in.

There is also a $2/day convention charge for the hotel, 10% city tax and a low.0007% tourist tax on top of your nightly charge.

Hope this helps those checking into the Marriott. Lay those ground rules to your roomies so they don't go rock star in your hotel room and you get left with the hefty fees.

Also, you can't request roll-away beds in a double/double (fire hazard)...only in King bedded rooms only.

If you are staying at other hotels...don't be afraid to call and ask them for info.  They are really nice....score 1 for Marriott for taking their time to answer my questions.

I too will be staying at the Marriott Hotel this year. You saved me time, I was about to call regarding the whole deposit thing. >.<

Anyway, last year was kind of hectic because I was not expecting them to charge me the deposit fee. So I had like $20 to spend during my time at fanime, but luckily I was able to borrow money from my friends and then pay them back after checking out of the hotel. Supposedly the money they hold will get applied to the cost of your stay after you leave, at least from my experience last year. Funny thing though, I don't remember them doing this in 2006.  ???

BrightHeart76

It's been my experience at the Hilton that you can use the deposit for things like eating at the restaurant.  My sister actually plans that into her budget.  Instead of missing money, it's just allocated as part of her food budget.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

elley

Well...having stayed at the Marriot last year, I'm not sure if they charged me the deposit. If they did, it cleared after I paid at check-out.

Now, is this $2/ day convention charge and tourist tax a new thing? It's not automatically included into my hotel cost from what I can see in the Fanime hotel confirmation e-mail. However, last year I was not charged these two items at check out either, it was just the total 3 night cost plus 10% city tax.

Kyra_Maverick

Quote from: elley on April 23, 2009, 09:46:24 AM
Well...having stayed at the Marriot last year, I'm not sure if they charged me the deposit. If they did, it cleared after I paid at check-out.

Now, is this $2/ day convention charge and tourist tax a new thing? It's not automatically included into my hotel cost from what I can see in the Fanime hotel confirmation e-mail. However, last year I was not charged these two items at check out either, it was just the total 3 night cost plus 10% city tax.
I'm staying at the Hilton this year and in my confirmation all these extra charges are itemized. I cant remember if its a new thing or not, I dont have the email from last year anymore to double check.

WaffoCellist

Quote from: elley on April 23, 2009, 09:46:24 AM

The tourist tax has always been there when you travel to big cities...but it is such a minute cost that you don't really notice (on my confirmation it states that Tourist tax is $0.10 per room/per night). 

As for the $2 convention charge...the SJCC has the adjoining hotels to the SJCC charge a use for a "Hotel Business District Assessment" fee.  I'm sure you can read into that. 

And don't forget the hotel tax...10.07%
It's a convict...it's a felon...NO! It's a Fanime Logistics Staffer coming your way!!!!

macaulayman

The Horel impression of you may come from different sources, AKA " everyone at the con is wierd". I used to be a dealer and had a suite reserved and confirmed for me but when they found out I was with the con they "lost " all my info. I pressured them ( I had all my info with me, who I spoke to  , etc.) and eventually they found a suite with a 1400 dollar deposit AND I had to sign a contract specifing what could happen in the room and things that would terminate my stay ( this included trying to dive into the pool from my 12th floor hotel balcony). And when I left they didn't have my deposit ready for me, it had to be mailed at a later date.

caskaslyrk

The fairmont is going to charge $100 per night deposit so beware..LOL >:(

starchildrose

so at the fairmont, we can pay the deposit in cash???

YoureMyHiro

The Marriott charges a $100/per day deposit fee.  So if you spend 3 nights at the Marriott, expect to make a deposit of $300 on top of your daily rate charge.  If you use cash or debit, they will automatically charge you for the deposit fee and expect payment up front (yes, this will show up right away on your debit card).  Best bet is to charge on a credit card - the deposit just ends up as a hold on your account and clears after you check out - pending of course there are no damages to the room since you checked in.

I'll have to call them direct because last time I checked with them they told me there was a $50/Night incidental deposit, meaning 3 nights would be a deposit of $150 and it's been that way for the last 4 years that I stayed at the Marriott however if they have recently adjusted their policy by twice the amount, I would need reevaluate the room the split I have going. Still, I appreciate this heads up.

chanocular

Quote from: YoureMyHiro on May 06, 2009, 02:03:51 PM

I'll have to call them direct because last time I checked with them they told me there was a $50/Night incidental deposit, meaning 3 nights would be a deposit of $150 and it's been that way for the last 4 years that I stayed at the Marriott however if they have recently adjusted their policy by twice the amount, I would need reevaluate the room the split I have going. Still, I appreciate this heads up.

According to the Marriott staff, its $100 per night if you pay cash. Its $50 dollars a night if you use a debit card.

WaffoCellist

Quote from: chanocular on May 07, 2009, 12:58:41 PM
Quote from: YoureMyHiro on May 06, 2009, 02:03:51 PM

According to the Marriott staff, its $100 per night if you pay cash. Its $50 dollars a night if you use a debit card.

Thanks for clarifying this.  Now I don't have to cry :'( as much when they put that deposit on my credit card.
It's a convict...it's a felon...NO! It's a Fanime Logistics Staffer coming your way!!!!