Fanime Swap Meet 2009

Started by Keys, February 05, 2009, 06:42:05 PM

Eurobeat King

Keys: Maybe you can help with a question I have.  Previous years, it was said that those who pre-reg. didn't need to be there until before it was time to go in, where they would call your # and you would go in.  We were told this last year, to show up like 30 minutes or so before the Swap Meet room was open, and have our stuff (and registration-forms) ready to go.  But right before they room opened, they told EVERYBODY to line up against the wall, and then they'd call people by their #'s.  So even if you were in the #1 spot, you still had to stand in-line, even if it meant going allll the way down the line with all your stuff, and when your #'s called (if you could hear it), you had to take your stuff alllll the way to the front and then you could go in.  That was a hassle last year, i have to say. 

Since the swap-meet doesn't start til 8:30pm that night, does this mean I have to get there at 5:00pm (or earlier) and line-up, if it's going to be like last year?  I have cosplay photography plans all day until the swap-meet begins, and I don't want to get there too early if it means having to show up and wait in-line.

i have a suggestion but i'll wait for your reply first.  Thanks!
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

Keys

As long as I've been participating or volunteering in this event, we've -never- called people by their numbers. That would really slow down the process. The numbering indicates where your spot is and makes it easier to keep track of which spaces are no-shows/empty which comes in handy when we get to the stand-by. We do the pre-registration line first in the order they are in line and then the stand-by line.

I know standing in line is tedious, but we've generally processed the whole pre-registration line in under an hour, and that was with a cashier bailing on us last year. (This year: more back-ups!) We're also going to do more form checking while in line so the cashiers really only have to deal with the money and space checking - and based on feedback from last year, we're adding a few more documents to hopefully make that go faster. Of course, we welcome any suggestions you might have too. We're always looking for ways to make the process better!  :)

Back before their was pre-registration, we would indeed get people who lined up super early, but there was more of a need back then because if you didn't get there early, you might not get a spot at all. Now with pre-registration, you at least know you don't have to line up at 5pm just to make sure you get a spot. If you want to be the first person in the room to setup, then you could line up early, but honestly I don't think so much more selling is done in the first half an hour that it's worth putting off other things you want to do at con. (Other people feel differently of course.)

We could abolish spot numbers all together, which would help out a lot of people who I know don't care about where they are in the room - they rather just be next to their friend who is five spots down on the list. However, I fear this might cause more of a line panic for those who do care, but they might be those who are inclined to line up early anyway. How do you guys feel about it? We have no rule anywhere that says that the spot numbers mean anything, we just happened to have been using them that way for the past 2-3 years.

Eurobeat King

Quote from: Keys on March 26, 2009, 11:10:49 AMWe do the pre-registration line first in the order they are in line and then the stand-by line.

I know standing in line is tedious, but we've generally processed the whole pre-registration line in under an hour, and that was with a cashier bailing on us last year. (This year: more back-ups!) We're also going to do more form checking while in line so the cashiers really only have to deal with the money and space checking - and based on feedback from last year, we're adding a few more documents to hopefully make that go faster. Of course, we welcome any suggestions you might have too. We're always looking for ways to make the process better!  :)

One suggestion I have would be for the pre-reg. line would be similar to how SouthWest Airlines lines up their passengers before boarding.  They have a Section A, B, and C, with 1-15, 16-30, 31-45, and 46-60 in each section.  So my suggestion would be that the people who are pre-reg. (since there's only only group they'd be Section A) would line-up outside the room according to their spot #.  I don't know if you can tape any #'s on the wall outside to make it easier for people to know where to stand, else a staffer could help line up people by #.   Else, the line could look like this:   26, 17, 16, 6, 12, 19, 2, 45, 37, etc.   One line in-order would mean everyone moving ahead smoothly. 

Again, it's just a suggestion, and up to you how you want to do it this year.  Thanks for listening!

Chloe

Quote from: Eurobeat King on March 26, 2009, 04:38:51 PM
Quote from: Keys on March 26, 2009, 11:10:49 AMWe do the pre-registration line first in the order they are in line and then the stand-by line.

One suggestion I have would be for the pre-reg. line would be similar to how SouthWest Airlines lines up their passengers before boarding.  They have a Section A, B, and C, with 1-15, 16-30, 31-45, and 46-60 in each section.  So my suggestion would be that the people who are pre-reg. (since there's only only group they'd be Section A) would line-up outside the room according to their spot #.  I don't know if you can tape any #'s on the wall outside to make it easier for people to know where to stand, else a staffer could help line up people by #.   Else, the line could look like this:   26, 17, 16, 6, 12, 19, 2, 45, 37, etc.   One line in-order would mean everyone moving ahead smoothly. 

Again, it's just a suggestion, and up to you how you want to do it this year.  Thanks for listening!

I agree with Al.  That would definitely make things go faster, and everyone could get into their spots ASAP.

I participated last year, and it was pretty okay, although with that suggestion, it would seem much more efficient.
Cosplays for '10?  WHO KNOWS!?!

ewu

its up to Keys...but I would say that 1) we don't really have the space 2) the staff and 3) the cool ass PA system
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Eurobeat King

Quote from: ewu on March 26, 2009, 06:39:56 PM
its up to Keys...but I would say that 1) we don't really have the space 2) the staff and 3) the cool ass PA system

true, it's up to Keys.  :)  But i will say that the sellers usually bring paper, pens, and tape for their goods, and can easily make signs with #'s to post on the walls, showing people where to line-up.  And as for staff, when it comes time to announcing the #'s, you'd just need someone with a LOUD voice.  :D

Keys

Quote from: Eurobeat King on March 26, 2009, 04:38:51 PMElse, the line could look like this:   26, 17, 16, 6, 12, 19, 2, 45, 37, etc.   One line in-order would mean everyone moving ahead smoothly. 
Here's where I don't think we're following each other. The way it should work now, it doesn't matter what order the people are in as long as pre-reg is separate from stand-by. It wasn't matching people with numbers that was the rate limiting step last year, it was time at the cashier table. Part of the reason Southwest is so fast is that everyone has paid and done form/check-in work before they get past security.

Again, we are not taking people in order by number at con.

We have been taking them to spaces matching their numbers, but that isn't something we need to be doing either. We could change the list to bullet points and alphabetical order right now and it should work the same way. We can look you up by last name (which is good because sometimes people forget their number, but hopefully not their last name - at least not that early in the con! :))

As Eric pointed out, the Southwest system would be a bit hard to implement with our resources, especially at this stage in the game, though it is something we'll keep in mind. Hopefully though, we'll see a good speed up this year with what we have.

Also, in general, I'm pretty sure we can't tape things to the convention center walls. Please don't do this for any Fanime event. :)

ewu

heads will roll if things are taped anywhere. that includes staff and attendees......but seriously, Fanime will prob be fined big time if anything is taped.

Our tech mantra...if it is not yours don't tape it.

Is the wall yours? Don't tape it
Is the floor yours? Don't tape it
Is the table yours? Don't tape it
Is your arm yours? Feel free to tape it
Is the convention center yours? Don't tape it.....

BTW, Keys is AWESOME...but you cant read this...
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Keys

Quote from: ewu on March 26, 2009, 08:28:37 PM
Is your arm yours? Feel free to tape it
Caution though. I did this once while running an event in high school. It left a nasty bruise when I removed it.  ::)

Eric luv 4eva!

Eurobeat King

again, that was just a suggestion.  I figured since nobody can tape things inside the swap meet room on the wall, the same can be said OUTSIDE the swap meet room also.  Rest-assured you won't see me taping anything up on the walls.  I treasure the spot that I was able to get.  :)

Quote from: KeysAgain, we are not taking people in order by number at con.

So if #60 were to line up at 3:00pm, wayyy ahead of everyone else, you would let him/her go in first when you open the doors?  I'm just trying to follow.  Looks like i will have to get in-line early then on Friday.  (sorry, cosplayers.. my picture-taking ends early on Friday)   :-\

Keys

Quote from: Eurobeat King on March 26, 2009, 10:18:02 PM
again, that was just a suggestion.  I figured since nobody can tape things inside the swap meet room on the wall, the same can be said OUTSIDE the swap meet room also.  Rest-assured you won't see me taping anything up on the walls.  I treasure the spot that I was able to get.  :)
No worries. That's just my staff-ly automatic reminder to everyone in internet-shouting-range when tape is mentioned for any reason. :)

Quote from: Eurobeat King on March 26, 2009, 10:18:02 PMSo if #60 were to line up at 3:00pm, wayyy ahead of everyone else, you would let him/her go in first when you open the doors?  I'm just trying to follow.  Looks like i will have to get in-line early then on Friday.  (sorry, cosplayers.. my picture-taking ends early on Friday)   :-\
Short answer: Yes, that's right.

Long answer: We're aiming to minimize the difference between the front and end of the line. Note that while lining up crazy-early will get you in as soon as possible, at the same time, someone pre-regged can probably wander in after we've started processing the line and have less of a wait. Our goal is to minimize wait time for everyone by 1) processing the line faster and 2) giving the majority of participants (pre-regged) a guarantee of space so they don't have to wait only to be turned away. It's like when someone pre-regs for the con on March 31st - they can still choose to pick up their badge any time registration is open.

satoraifu

May you take me off of the pre-registration for the swap meet?

Name: Julie Nguyen

idontknow

I have a suggestion but I've never done (or actually seen) the FanimeCon swap meet so I'm not sure if my suggestion should be taken to consideration:

1. After getting the first 60 people that pre-registered (assuming that the cut-off is 60) send an e-mail to those people with a seating chart and ask for the spot they would want, their second choice, and their third choice. Set up a deadline for everyone to turn in their seating choices.

2. After the deadline do the "first come first serve" method thingamajig: Anyone that e-mailed back their "seating choices" first get first priority. As soon as possible send everyone back their potential seating charts.

3. After sending the seating charts send another e-mail indicating where they should send their information, seller's fee, agreement, etc. and should have it postmark by a certain deadline.

4A. On the day of the swap meet have a table set up with 2 or 3 lines. "Sign-ins" for the swap meet should start around 7:30PM or 8PM. The first line should be those who preregistered AND sent in items needed (indicated in #3). All they do is check-in pretty much.

The second line should be those who preregistered and didn't send in items indicated in #3. This line can be combined with the first line.

However, if anyone that pre-registered doesn't check in by 9PM they give up their spot to any "drop-ins" aka anyone that didn't preregister (or any other time preferred. 9PM might be too late/early)

4B. The second/third line should be a line of "those who haven't pre-registered". Technically this is the line of "drop-ins". The drop-ins must sign the agreement, pay seller's fee, etc.

Another suggestion is to increase the seller's fee (by a small amount, around $5) for drop-ins and those who pre-reg but didn't follow #3. Although I personally think it's a good/bad idea (it has its pros and cons)

Of course, since we can't "tape" anything I would advise having someone show them where their assigned spots are. You can also try putting "appropriate-sized" blankets but, of course, it would be kind of pricey to buy 60 blankets. But hopefully something else would suffice ... ?

Okay, I think I've written too much ^^

Keys

Some of what you've suggested we're already doing :) : We do start processing people at 8pm, as stated on the "Procuring your spot" page. Once the pre-reg line is depleted, we go to the stand-by/drop-ins. With much help from the higher ups on Fanime staff, Swap Meet staff also has permission for a very specific sort of floor-taping for the event and we do have volunteers to show people to their spots.

We have considered taking fees ahead of time but we determined the cons outweigh the pros. It would take extra support from other departments to process the mailed in materials and it would decrease flexibility in terms of fitting people as we can. (Since Artists Alley has tables, their layout is more rigid.)

Thanks for your input. :) I hope you enjoy your first swap meet!

Keys

satoraifu - done! You've been removed from the pre-reg list.

Xeluu

*flail* I totally forgot to sign up in time. >_<

So, I have a question: I know I'm going to be there Thursday, that's first come, first serve on spots, no?

And I've been a customer of the swap meet before, but not a seller. Are you usually able to get anyone who was NOT able to reserve a spot in to sell things? Just trying to decide if it's worth it to pack the stuff if I'm potentially only selling one night.

Thanks in advance for the answers.
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

Keys

Yes, Thursday is first come, first serve.

Last year we were fortunate enough to able to fit everyone who was in the stand-by line but it's not a guarantee. (This may have been in part due to some people giving up because they didn't think they had a shot with our more conservative estimate last year.) This year we have a little less space to work with and it's hard to gauge until we're all set up and have an idea how long the stand-by line is.

Also, keep an eye on the pre-registration page. When reminders go out closer to con, sometimes kind folks give us the heads up that it turns out they can't make it, so a spot or two may open.

kixies

Hello~

I won't be able to make Fanime this year, so please take me off the pre-registration list for someone more worthy XD

40. C, Stephanie.

Thank you so much!

Keys

Quote from: kixies on March 31, 2009, 11:14:02 AM
Hello~

I won't be able to make Fanime this year, so please take me off the pre-registration list for someone more worthy XD

40. C, Stephanie.

Thank you so much!
Sorry to hear you can't make it to Fanime. Thanks for letting us know. It's been removed.

Kokuu

Quick question for the swap meet: I noticed that it said second hand cosplay items were acceptable (got some of that I'll probably be selling in addition to all the manga I have), but what about raw fabric for others to create cosplay costumes?  I have TONS of interesting fabric I've picked up for costumes I never made, and was wondering if that would be ok.