Fanime Swap Meet 2009

Started by Keys, February 05, 2009, 06:42:05 PM

abcbadcat

Okay, just to confirm...

I want to sell on Thursday and I have my form filled out and my stuff ready but I didn't sign up for a spot

So I can just go, wait in line, and for sure get a spot for Thursday's swap meet?

GokuMew2

Quote from: abcbadcat on May 20, 2009, 10:20:59 AM
Okay, just to confirm...

I want to sell on Thursday and I have my form filled out and my stuff ready but I didn't sign up for a spot

So I can just go, wait in line, and for sure get a spot for Thursday's swap meet?

There is no sign-up list for Thursday's swap meet. It's first come, first serve.
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

abcbadcat

Quote from: GokuMew2 on May 20, 2009, 10:48:52 AM
Okay, just to confirm...

There is no sign-up list for Thursday's swap meet. It's first come, first serve.

Awesome :3

When do the con doors open so we can line up to get our badges?

Keys

Okay, just to confirm...

It is first come, first served. We may run out of spaces though, so you won't 'for sure' get a spot. It depends on the demand and how many people are in line before you.

milkmandan

Quote from: Keys on May 20, 2009, 11:54:44 AM
Okay, just to confirm...

It is first come, first served. We may run out of spaces though, so you won't 'for sure' get a spot. It depends on the demand and how many people are in line before you.
judging from previous years, how early must one line up to get a spot?
is swap meet usually pretty big demand?

Keys

Quote from: milkmandan on May 20, 2009, 12:47:20 PM
Okay, just to confirm...

In previous years we didn't fill up on Thursday. This year I'm sensing more demand based on the volume of messages I've been receiving. I don't know when the line has started. It wasn't too early though because badge-pick up doesn't happen until the evening.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: milkmandan on May 20, 2009, 12:47:20 PM
Okay, just to confirm...

I'm going to the convention center pretty early in the afternoon, like 2PM or something to get a spot in the pre-reg line and then get in line for swap meet.

Will I be there for a long time? Yes. Will I care? Not really, lol.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

milkmandan

i missed out on the registration for the main day (friday).
i dont even have that much to sell.
beginning to think its not even worth it for me to participate.
:(

Keys

Since we're off to the convention center, forum and email access will be limited. I may not get to check either until after Thursday night Swap Meet and again I probably will have limited access for all of Friday.

Participating or not, I hope all of you have a lot of fun at the convention! :)

Keys

Hey everyone! This is your Swap Meet head live from Fanime. Our staff just got done marking off spaces in Exhibit Hall 2. We were able to scrounge up approximately 75 spaces, which is less than last year (Arcade has quite an impressive setup this year!), but more than our pre-registered 60. Unless that floor space ends up being needed for something else, I intend to use it all to hopefully accommodate as many of you as possible on Thursday and from the stand-by line on Friday.

Once again, while I'm here I won't be able to check these boards or my email as frequently, so I can't guarantee any responses until after tonight's event. If you have questions about Friday you would like to ask tonight, I request that you please wait until after we've placed everyone on Thursday, so we can get everyone set up as fast as possible.

See you here!

idontknow

this question might've been answered already but i think it's buried deep within the forums .__.;;

is it $20 per day (thursday or friday) or $20 for both days

Eurobeat King

Quote from: idontknow on May 21, 2009, 03:38:53 PM
this question might've been answered already but i think it's buried deep within the forums .__.;;

it's $20 per-day, if you plan to buy a full-space.  :)  If you plan to buy a half-space, then it's $10 per-day.
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

idontknow

Quote from: Eurobeat King on May 21, 2009, 03:53:31 PM
Quote from: idontknow on May 21, 2009, 03:38:53 PM

it's $20 per-day, if you plan to buy a full-space.  :)  If you plan to buy a half-space, then it's $10 per-day.

thanks a lot!!

GokuMew2

WATCH OUT FOR SHOPLIFTERS!!!

I had three items (that I'm aware of) stolen from me tonight: 2 shitajiki and a poster.
I even saw the person who stole the shitajiki holding them, but since they were looking at my other stuff, I thought they just weren't ready to pay yet. I made a mental note to keep an eye on them but the next thing I knew, they were gone.

The poster I realized was missing as I was packing up.

Yeah.... I'm really pissed about it but nothing I can do at this point.
A friend suggested that next time I hang on to the merchandise the person is interested in buying and set it off to the side while they check out the other stuff. Sounds like a good idea and I'll use it tomorrow.

Keep your eyes on your merchandise, everyone!
< Mew >

abcbadcat

Thursday night went pretty well for me but I really didn't need more than a half spot but oh well.

:3

Roguethe

Quote from: GokuMew2 on May 22, 2009, 01:59:52 AM

I had three items (that I'm aware of) stolen from me tonight: 2 shitajiki and a poster.
I even saw the person who stole the shitajiki holding them, but since they were looking at my other stuff, I thought they just weren't ready to pay yet. I made a mental note to keep an eye on them but the next thing I knew, they were gone.

The poster I realized was missing as I was packing up.

Yeah.... I'm really pissed about it but nothing I can do at this point.
A friend suggested that next time I hang on to the merchandise the person is interested in buying and set it off to the side while they check out the other stuff. Sounds like a good idea and I'll use it tomorrow.

That sucks!
I didn't have anything stolen tonight, but it was really hectic when it began.
Right when I opened my cases, people swarmed like crazy, and it was hard to keep an eye on everything.
@_@
Luckily it sold okay. I didn't sell everything, but I made over $300.

I draw sometimessss

LordKefka

Swap meet was better on Thursday for me than Friday. Still a very good haul this year. Still at con so can't upload pics :3
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

GokuMew2

I actually found the poster I thought was missing, so yay for that at least.
Friday was muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better for me. I mean, I still have tons of stuff left but that's because I came with tons of stuff, LoL.
< Mew >

Chun

Quote from: GokuMew2 on May 22, 2009, 01:59:52 AM

One of the things that really bothered me was the island. I specifically asked for a wallspace due to this reason alone; if you're an independent seller without backup keeping your eyes open during transactions and bartering makes things difficult. Though in the future it's better if you put up a sign that says "Please let me assist you" or something along those lines.

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

FiliKlepto

I only did swap meet on Friday, and oh man, I made a real killing this year!  :D  I couldn't have done it without my awesome two friends who assisted me: I handled all transactions, while another friend handled all the money.  Then I had another friend standing with the crowd, looking like she was shopping, to keep an eye out for shoplifters + straighten the goods when needed.

It was really hectic but I sold pretty much everything I brought with me!
I want death to find me planting my cabbages.
-----------------------------------------------------
Hey, you know Mop Head?  At the Fanime '04 Saturday gameshow?  I so totally named her.  ^^"