Octuplets Story

Started by codex biblio, February 09, 2009, 11:35:06 PM

codex biblio

Latest octuplets drama

Does anyone besides me find this story more and more disturbing the more we hear from/about the mother? I don't know whether to believe the mother is delusional, irrational, or just irresponsible. Too upset to post more right now.

Ok, more rational post. Let's discuss medical ethics in this thread since the latest information is about her fertility doctor. I'm sure more information will come out in the future.

How much responsibility does a doctor carry in cases like this? Should the doctor be disciplined in any way by the medical board for their part in this? Or are they just doing their job?

PyronIkari

Why is this in serious business?

G.I.R

I'd like to know how an unemployed mother of six children already that lives with her parents can afford to go to a Beverly Hills fertility clinic.

Steve.Young

I'd like to know what impulsive need compelled her to have 14 children?
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

otakuapprentice

Quote from: Steve.Young on February 10, 2009, 12:18:33 AM
IIRC, she apparently only wanted to have 'one more kid'......looks like that backfired horribly.

Quote from: PyronIkari on February 10, 2009, 12:03:35 AM
Hell if I know.
Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

G.I.R

Quote from: Steve.Young on February 10, 2009, 12:18:33 AM
Or to have any when she's unemployed.

Quote from:  otakuapprentice Quote from:PyronIkari on Today at 11:03:35 PM

Hell if I know.
Medical Ethics isn't serious?

codex biblio

Mea culpa. Should've calmed down before I made original post. I modified it so that if anyone wants to discuss doctor responsibilities and medical ethics, we can.

If anyone wants to throw in your thoughts on the mother, feel free, but I'll try not to comment on her because then I'd go off on a rant and have to start another thread that's more appropriate in byo/b/.

Mizuki

Quote from: PyronIkari on February 10, 2009, 12:03:35 AM

Op fixed the thread to be a little bit more appropriate for the forum. Also if you have a problem with it, PM/Report, I don't have eyes all of the boards.

Sunara Ishi

What pisses me off is that she wants to care for them all with food stamps and student loans.
She's so irresponsible. D:

I do think her and the doctor both need to be held accountable. She shouldn't be having children just because she's lonely.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

codex biblio

I understand the fertility clinic is still under investigation, so we don't know for sure what happened with the doctor yet.

Doctors often do things at their discretion. But during the evaluation process, they often give advice and/or suggestions to the patient. I don't know if this applies to fertility clinics. (I'm assuming so)  And can't a doctor refuse to assist the patient in something like this?

In reading the latest update, the doctor can be kicked off of SART or American Society for Reproductive Medicine, but that doesn't take away his license. "The state medical board cannot close the clinic if it is found at fault, but it can censure the doctor, putting the violation on his record." Censure, that's it? These things seem like slaps on the wrist for a professional who didn't seem to have used any judgement in the matter.