What to expect at the fairmont?

Started by xOchiix, February 21, 2009, 09:28:48 AM

xOchiix

So I was late, and am booked into the Fairmount. Anything I should expect?

Mod edit: title hotel name

Kyra_Maverick

I personally have never stayed there, but a friend of mine who has told me it was a really classy place, but still very polite to everyone.

morgaine

I'll be staying there, as well.  Does anyone know if it's within walking distance?
Fanime 2019
TBD

Tsubasa

I was there last year.

The Fairmont is the furthest hotel from the con center, but that isn't saying too much.  It's still within a 10 minute walk.  If you can deal with this, you'll probably enjoy your stay.  The room I was in was spacious.  I found the decor elegant and attractive.  The staff was responsive and courteous.  And the elevators didn't get as crowded as any of the nearer hotels.  All in all, probably the most pleasing hotel experience I've had @a Fanime hotel.

With that in mind, I greatly missed the convenience of the Marriott.  Normally during the con, I'd pop into and out of my room to drop off stuff and/or just rest.  Because of the extra distance, many times I found myself saying "screw it," carrying my stuff, and resting in the con center and/or a friend's room in the Marriott/St. Claire.  That's why this year, I'm back in the Marriott.
-Tsubasa

Member of the SPCPWRFLDTDPR

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Tsubasa on February 21, 2009, 12:32:35 PM
I was there last year.

The Fairmont is the furthest hotel from the con center, but that isn't saying too much.  It's still within a 10 minute walk.  If you can deal with this, you'll probably enjoy your stay.  The room I was in was spacious.  I found the decor elegant and attractive.  The staff was responsive and courteous.  And the elevators didn't get as crowded as any of the nearer hotels.  All in all, probably the most pleasing hotel experience I've had @a Fanime hotel.

With that in mind, I greatly missed the convenience of the Marriott.  Normally during the con, I'd pop into and out of my room to drop off stuff and/or just rest.  Because of the extra distance, many times I found myself saying "screw it," carrying my stuff, and resting in the con center and/or a friend's room in the Marriott/St. Claire.  That's why this year, I'm back in the Marriott.

I was very tempted to stay at the Fairmont, but being a chaperone for my younger sisters for the 3rd year in a row now, I couldn't see myself letting them walk through downtown SJ to get to the con late at night like they sometimes do. We're at the hilton, but still...the convenience is key.

That being said, the Fairmont is a very nice place. You'll enjoy your stay, just go there a week before the con and walk the route back and forth like 10 times to get used to it lol.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Raymei

I stayed there last year as well.
There are lots of great restaurants and the convention isn't that far, so you feel like you're in the center of everything you need, which was nice.  The hotel itself was nice, but if you took anything out of the mini-fridge, it automatically charged you  (so you basically have no mini fridge for your own food/beverages  :(  ).  The rooms were really comfortable, although we did have an incident where our smoke detector randomly went off.  When they came up and took care of it they said it was because it had too much dust in it.

RadioactiveKitty

OH MY GOSH i was SO angered when The Crowne Plaza which is where we normaly stay was all booked up. Than i saw pictures of the Fairmont, and a friend who is familiar with that place AND is also going themselves to stay there with us told me it was nice... so i think it is ok to say WHO EVER IS GONNA STAY AT THE FAIRMONT CAN EXPECT GREAT THINGS. From what I understand it is a classy place. NOT so much as say The Sainte Claire. but that is ment to have an older nicer feel to it.

roth14

It is a VERY nice hotel but you feel out of place since it just seems so posh. It is also two blocks away from the convention center. Yet all this means that you aren't doomed though if you stay there. The beds are comfy, the rooms are nice, and it isn't too far away. My mom and I also never had any problems with the workers or attitude problems from them like i have heard other hotel had. Since it is such a fancy hotel they treat you very nice. Ar least in my experience. Though I did book at room at the Marriott this year so I could have a connecting hotel.

Raymei

Quote from: roth14 on February 22, 2009, 01:54:03 PM
It is a VERY nice hotel but you feel out of place since it just seems so posh.

I felt the same way!
Funny, I even used the word "posh"  lol

Moonblossom

As for the distance - I was staying at the Hilton last year and I walked by the Fairmont at least twice a day, just wandering around, looking for food, running errands, etc. It's really not far at all.

Hirotona

It's at the most five minutes away, I never got the big deal about the distance really. It offers the most space and it costs the same as the other hotels, there was no reason for me to not pick it. The classy "posh" feel is just another positive in my book. I'm a Fairmont club member so I benefit from a few other perks as well, which pretty much seals the deal.

starchildrose

All of these comments make me feel good about booking at the Fairmont  :) ih ope this will be a very pleasant experience  ;)

RadioactiveKitty

distance is a problem for me coz i DO have knee problems, i cracked them pretty bad and one knee cap like went kapoohff (another one of my words)... earlier on in my life i took ballet and landed wrong so yeah my knees bother me really badly.

not to mention i am gonna be wearing heels lol-
bad knees+heels=Kitty in pain

mod edit: title hotel name

Jerry

Quote from: RadioactiveKitty on March 18, 2009, 08:52:26 AM
distance is a problem for me coz i DO have knee problems, i cracked them pretty bad and one knee cap like went kapoohff (another one of my words)... earlier on in my life i took ballet and landed wrong so yeah my knees bother me really badly.

not to mention i am gonna be wearing heels lol-
bad knees+heels=Kitty in pain

mod edit: title hotel name

if you have an existing medical condition [i had a roommate like that last year] and if you notify the hotel in time you might be able to request a lower or a handicap-able room which usually means [free upgrade or semi larger room] and or request to see if they are able to loan out a wheel chair... course i dont know whether or not they'd let you out of the fairmont with it. but it would be a nice way to have ur friends cart you all around Fanime without having to ur legs much. :)

hopefully despite the walking distance, the Fairmont is a very "posh" hotel and managing your travel time I'm certain you will still get the most of out Fanime.

Happy adventuring. :)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Moonblossom

Kitty, if you're worried about the walk maybe this will help you. I am legally disabled. I have chronic pain issues and connective tissue failure as well as suffering from tachycardia and bouts of syncope. I walk with a fairly pronounced limp most of the time, and am prone to fainting for no good reason. And even with all that, I still wandered by the Fairmont several times a day last year just going to and fro.

RadioactiveKitty

Quote from: Moonblossom on March 19, 2009, 12:57:31 PM
Kitty, if you're worried about the walk maybe this will help you. I am legally disabled. I have chronic pain issues and connective tissue failure as well as suffering from tachycardia and bouts of syncope. I walk with a fairly pronounced limp most of the time, and am prone to fainting for no good reason. And even with all that, I still wandered by the Fairmont several times a day last year just going to and fro.

thanks ppl <3

well its not that i am handicapped but i think maybe i should get my knees checked out coz they HAVE been hurting a lot... i mean i think it is bone against bone. like it feels the way i did when i broke my wrist, that painful scratchy feeling like a shocking pain. thats how my knees feel when i walk. so its not that i am handicapped it is pain. i use this shot my doc gives me like once a month in the back of the knee and it stopps it just for a month.

but extensive walking causes the pain to come no matter if i got the shot or not lol-but i dont need a handicapped room or anything im all good from that AS LONG as there is elevators that i can sit in XD

no seriosuly lol if its only 5 minutes tops im ok

blancoisma

I think everyone pretty much covered how the feel, stay, etc. to the Fairmont was last year. I personally liked it too. Although I did want to share that on my way into the hotel one day, all dressed up in my cosplay ( mind you, I have a huge hat, and I'm jingling cause I have a bunch of beads bounding around ) there's this circle of rich looking women having drinks in the main hall, when one gets up and goes

"WOOHOO! Look, it's one of those costumed people!"

And waves her arms at me and her girlfriends do the same. Getting reactions isn't all that rare considering how people dress up at these things, but considering it was the Fairmont and it's all classy and having these older rich ladies call out to you, it kinda sticks XD
"Well, I'm already going to hell for kissing you so I may as well take the scenic route."

-Aaron Davis, Latter Days

Roguethe

Wow, people who say it takes 10 miniutes to walk from the Fairmont to the Con really need to pick up the pace.
I stayed there last year, and it takes about 5 miniutes or less to walk to the con.
It's a very nice hotel, and my room was very spacious and the bathroom was perfect and big. It even had a make up counter and big mirror outside of the bathroom, with a bench.
Perfect for getting ready and not hogging the bathroom if you're staying with another person.

I draw sometimessss

aarondirebear

Quote from: xOchiix on February 21, 2009, 09:28:48 AM
So I was late, and am booked into the Fairmount. Anything I should expect?

Mod edit: title hotel name

Oh it's a beautiful place. The lobby is full of comfy chairs and some times they have a piano player creating an atmosphere.

abcbadcat

I'll be there this year for sure

:D