Map of Counties in Ca.

Started by XpHoBiaX, February 23, 2009, 12:49:48 AM

XpHoBiaX

Okay, so I was a little peeved and decided to look up counties. It drove me insane to not know where humboldt was. No offense to anyone who lives in the circled counties. If anything, I just want to educate people. I was just wondering where the hell people are located.

I live in Amador, wich is the red circle, next to sac.

I've had a few people turn down invitations to visit me, becuase they didn't know where Amador was, and that it was too far. Yet the same people will drive waaaaaay farther then where I am located, or to the neighboring counties. Mostly not knowing the county I lived in was right there. ;) I hope this helps others, and adds some clarification.

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

Gatsby

O_o I didn't know you were in Amador. I live in Tuolumne! Lol. I'm sorta close.

Kazuko

I used to live in the San Joaquin Valley (Tracy, Stockton, Manteca, ect) and alot of people still dont know where it is sdgdffd

Jun-Watarase

Amador... Geez, that's ridiculously far!

Mikey and I are in the San Mateo county-- half an hour away to San Francisco...

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

BrightHeart76

Adjusted for my own enjoyment.   :D

I live up by the red dot inside the purple mess that is Washoe County.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

XpHoBiaX

BrightHeart +Darth

You do realize, that you guys are only a 45min-1hr drive away?

I live not too far from the Calaveras county line as well, so it's a shorter drive to Tuolume. XD

Going past the backside of Sac on 99 towards SF is a cool drive. Long an borring though. I usually just go through Fresno...cuz that is where my Mom lives.

2010 cosplay...?

PyronIkari

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on February 23, 2009, 07:10:20 PM
BrightHeart +Darth

I live not too far from the Calaveras county line as well, so it's a shorter drive to Tuolume. XD

Going past the backside of Sac on 99 towards SF is a cool drive. Long an borring though. I usually just go through Fresno...cuz that is where my Mom lives.

You realize a 45min-1hr drive is a pain in the ass right? A 45min-1hour drive means 1:30 or 2hours of driving. As someone who has done many socal->norcal and vice versa trips, anything over an hour drive sucks.

Now, reasons also are kinda important. Bright and Darth are two people from the internet that hardly know you, even if you've met and maybe even hung out. YOU ARE RANDOM INTERNET ACQUAINTANCES. Driving that much to see someone like that, isn't really... worth it. Especially for "no good reason".

Really, boohoo, you live kinda far, and people don't want to go visit you, that sucks. But whining about it just makes it look worse and more pathetic on your part. Besides, don't you have local friends?

Me and Jun live in San Mateo county. By public transit, we live around 1 1/2 to 2 hours away from a lot of our friends. Mizuki takes about two hours to come here. He rarely comes out here. Travel sucks, and costs money. Here's a thought... why don't you go out to see people? Before you say, you don't drive, there's public transit. You can train to the bay area.

Why aren't you making the effort, you expect others to make? Money? Time?

Others all have those issues too.

BrightHeart76

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on February 23, 2009, 07:10:20 PM
BrightHeart +Darth

I'm somewhat familiar with the area.  I had a lot of family in Soulsbyville (Sonora) growing up and my aunt lived in Modesto.  We would stop at both places on the way to visit my Grandparents in Campbell.  I haven't gone over Sonora Pass in forever!  

The thing is I'd go to a lot of gatherings or go meet up with people if it wasn't for the geographic issues.  The Sierra's can be a real pain in the rear to get over if there are any storms.  
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

XpHoBiaX

Quote from: PyronIkari on February 23, 2009, 07:20:57 PM
You realize a 45min-1hr drive is a pain in the ass right? A 45min-1hour drive means 1:30 or 2hours of driving. As someone who has done many socal->norcal and vice versa trips, anything over an hour drive sucks.

Now, reasons also are kinda important. Bright and Darth are two people from the internet that hardly know you, even if you've met and maybe even hung out. YOU ARE RANDOM INTERNET ACQUAINTANCES. Driving that much to see someone like that, isn't really... worth it. Especially for "no good reason".

Really, boohoo, you live kinda far, and people don't want to go visit you, that sucks. But whining about it just makes it look worse and more pathetic on your part. Besides, don't you have local friends?

Me and Jun live in San Mateo county. By public transit, we live around 1 1/2 to 2 hours away from a lot of our friends. Mizuki takes about two hours to come here. He rarely comes out here. Travel sucks, and costs money. Here's a thought... why don't you go out to see people? Before you say, you don't drive, there's public transit. You can train to the bay area.

Why aren't you making the effort, you expect others to make? Money? Time?

Others all have those issues too.

Mikey, mind your business. We're not planning on randomly seeing each other. What I choose, or we choose to do, is none of your business. I was just making a remark about how close Tuolumne really is to me. And the possibility of being within driving distance of Brightheart.
Maybe if we do end up meeting at fanime, we'd have our own little clique to hang with, since we're closer to each other then you are.
Not only that, other things aside from fanime go on in Nor Cal. Per Say, celtic fests, scottish games, and other deals.

I do go out. I have to drive 30min-1hr to get anywhere to begin with, so it's not that much of an issue to just jump on the highway and split for a day. Infact, I have to get on a highway just to get anywhere. You wouldn't understand what that is like, since you have a problem with driving longer than an hour. You don't know what it's like living out in the country, either. I assure you, it's a grand pain in the ass, just to get to a damned walmart.

I don't have local friends. I didn't grow up in Amador. Most of my friends happen to be these people I met at fanime. I grew up with some of you, I went to school with a few of you. I roomed with several of you at Fanime, and have gone on trips with you. So it won't kill me to go and visit them 'for no good reason'. I miss the people I met, is that bad to want to see my friends?

So again, ask me some more stupid questions.
Do I have a car?
Yes.
Can I drive it?
Yes.
Do I have money to drive it?
Yes.

It'd be cheaper to just drive all the way to the Bay, instead of stopping in Sac or Stockton to bus or train all the way down.

I don't like people poking their nose into my business (That is what it seems you are doing), all I simply wanted to do was point out where I am at in regards to everyone else. So I could meet those that I knew. Simple. I have the time and the money. I drive through a few counties without even realizing I may know someone there.

Don't counsel me on who and what you think I am. I am a big girl, and I am well capable of taking care of myself, and I don't need you to be lecturing me on what the hell I do. (I thought you gave that up anyways?)
With the exception of right now; I don't lecture you, I don't get technical with you, and I leave your happy ass well enough alone. So leave mine alone.

Now if you don't have anything productive and constructive to add to this topic, leave it alone. It's quite obvious that you are not interested in it. Derailing is not necessary. 

2010 cosplay...?

G.I.R

And, if I might ad, the question posted in the original post was about where people were located, not about how far someone was willing to go to visit someone.

I'm way down in the south end of L.A. county near the Orange County line.

Gatsby

I have a reason to see Phobia, tattoos! Lol.

Jun-Watarase

To be honest, your initial post did come off a bit whiny... that people don't go out of their way to see you. Even if you may be willing to drive over an hour to see someone, even if people are willing to put up with it, it's still is "going out of their way" to do so. You seemed a bit upset that people would go longer distances, or go somewhere nearby... but people may have other things to do than to make the effort, especially for those who barely know you. It would be better if those made the effort because they want, rather are pushed to or guilt-tripped to. This post may help people map out counties and acknowledge their options to see yo when traveling, but what you had said after that left a bit of a bitter taste afterward.

Being alone and not having people to hang out with, sucks. I'm sure you don't like your position, and I am fairly sure that a lot of people and a lot of your friends would want to go out to see you. But sometimes it's harder for others to travel great distances. I mean, Mikey and I take hours upon hours of effort from time to time to see our friends (via public transportation), and even though we did it because we wanted to, it was still a pain to do it. It isn't something we can really do on whim... it normally takes some planning in advance.

Take the initiative when you can, and point it out to others how much easier it is to get to you by showing the information you've given us.... without being whiny. Since you can drive, and you can afford it... why not take the time to do so? Also, do you have any options to possibly move? Maybe find a roommate, so you're closer to everything else and out of the country? It'd be nice to explore your options, because being as lonely or bored as you are stuck in the country may be damaging if anything. If you could plan out how you could change that, I think you should.

But for now, why not spend the time to talk it over with the friends you want to see, rather than crying out to a public forum full of random people who may or may not want to see you... I think talking it out with your friends, personally, would be more productive than this. Like Darth, for instance-- talk it over with him, and directly plan out a way that you can hang out. Maybe invite some mutual friends, and plan out a trip over there, or where you are, or somewhere else you all can get to. Anything that would make something actually happen.

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

LordKefka

I'm in Boston and I'm lonely. The only people I hang out with are dental or medical students...;-;

Where are all my animu friends! T__T
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

PyronIkari

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on February 23, 2009, 08:37:23 PM
Mikey, mind your business. We're not planning on randomly seeing each other. What I choose, or we choose to do, is none of your business. I was just making a remark about how close Tuolumne really is to me. And the possibility of being within driving distance of Brightheart.
You made it my business by creating this thread. I only used those two as examples, you can replace their names with anyone's and the point still stands.

This entire thread was created so you can whine about how people don't want to come out and visit you, and you pointing out "well they drive further than where I am!" I merely explained why it isn't that simple. You even made it worse by trying to make people guilty into not seeing you and making it seem that you are such a victim and that no one loves you, so they should come out and see you. If anything what you did was more than whiny, it was really childish.

QuoteMaybe if we do end up meeting at fanime, we'd have our own little clique to hang with, since we're closer to each other then you are.
Not only that, other things aside from fanime go on in Nor Cal. Per Say, celtic fests, scottish games, and other deals.

I do go out. I have to drive 30min-1hr to get anywhere to begin with, so it's not that much of an issue to just jump on the highway and split for a day. Infact, I have to get on a highway just to get anywhere. You wouldn't understand what that is like, since you have a problem with driving longer than an hour. You don't know what it's like living out in the country, either. I assure you, it's a grand pain in the ass, just to get to a damned walmart.
Oh, I know very well how it feels. I DON'T have a car, so getting to work takes me over an hour and a half everyday. The return commute is just as long. Going virtually ANYWHERE meeting up with virtually ANYONE takes time. This just pushes my point even more. Doing stuff takes quite a lot of effort and work so you shouldn't blame others for not wanting to do that to meet up with you, especially people that hardly know you.

QuoteI don't have local friends. I didn't grow up in Amador. Most of my friends happen to be these people I met at fanime. I grew up with some of you, I went to school with a few of you. I roomed with several of you at Fanime, and have gone on trips with you. So it won't kill me to go and visit them 'for no good reason'. I miss the people I met, is that bad to want to see my friends?
That's strange, I was born in Iowa, and grew up in Southern California, but I have plenty of friends up here... but that's besides the point...

You're willing to put out more effort than others, good for you. Not everyone else is willing to do so. Some of my friends are only a 20 minute drive away, and they rarely come out to see me, because they work a lot and don't really have the time to do so. While others live an hour away and I see them almost every other week... because they have more time to do so. The point still stands, you're whining about people not wanting to go out and see you, who don't want to drive for an hour+.

QuoteSo again, ask me some more stupid questions.
Do I have a car?
Yes.
Can I drive it?
Yes.
Do I have money to drive it?
Yes.

It'd be cheaper to just drive all the way to the Bay, instead of stopping in Sac or Stockton to bus or train all the way down.

I don't like people poking their nose into my business (That is what it seems you are doing), all I simply wanted to do was point out where I am at in regards to everyone else. So I could meet those that I knew. Simple. I have the time and the money. I drive through a few counties without even realizing I may know someone there.
This makes it even easier. Instead of whining about them not going to see you, go see them.

PROBLEM SOLVED. Once more, I'm not poking my nose in your business. You made a public thread whining about people not going to see you. How is replying to said thread, and pointing out things "poking my nose in your business". It's not like I looked up private entries in your journal only to chime in and criticize you. You opened your issue up in the public, to the public. Don't bitch at me for replying.

QuoteDon't counsel me on who and what you think I am. I am a big girl, and I am well capable of taking care of myself, and I don't need you to be lecturing me on what the hell I do. (I thought you gave that up anyways?)
With the exception of right now; I don't lecture you, I don't get technical with you, and I leave your happy ass well enough alone. So leave mine alone.
Uh... what? So... posting and whining on a public forum about people not visiting you is acting like a big girl?

QuoteNow if you don't have anything productive and constructive to add to this topic, leave it alone. It's quite obvious that you are not interested in it. Derailing is not necessary. 

My post DIRECTLY ADDRESSED THIS SUBJECT and was COMPLETELY PRODUCTIVE AND CONSTRUCTIVE. I replied directly to what you posted.

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: LordKefka on February 24, 2009, 12:18:10 AM
I'm in Boston and I'm lonely. The only people I hang out with are dental or medical students...;-;

animu friends suck

FanimaidCafe.com

LordKefka

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on February 24, 2009, 12:22:53 AM

animu friends suck

Lies and slanders! T_______________________T

But anyways, yeah. It's funny cause a lot of my real friends who are "anime friends" don't talk about anime to me at all. It's like.. casual stuff from the talk we do. Liking anime is just something of a common interest that starts the friendship off. It's when you can sit there with your friend and not have to worry about what you need to say next because you are being judged that you know he's a FRIEND... (I feel weird saying this..>.>;; )

Then I also have people who are ANIME friends who just end up being an example of what you see in Otaku no Video..-_-;;
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Jun-Watarase

Quote from: LordKefka on February 24, 2009, 12:24:48 AM

animu friends suck

But anyways, yeah. It's funny cause a lot of my real friends who are "anime friends" don't talk about anime to me at all. It's like.. casual stuff from the talk we do. Liking anime is just something of a common interest that starts the friendship off. It's when you can sit there with your friend and not have to worry about what you need to say next because you are being judged that you know he's a FRIEND... (I feel weird saying this..>.>;; )

Then I also have people who are ANIME friends who just end up being an example of what you see in Otaku no Video..-_-;;

I think you should like what you like, and if you want to talk about anime, then start off the conversation about anime. It's not bad to have other interests, too. :|

FanimaidCafe.com

XpHoBiaX

You know, I've been doing exactly what you are telling me to do. Thanks for your concern, but I'm already there and really don't know why this has to be a personal matter. But just read what I have to say first, before jumping at my neck.

Like I stated, I just wanted to know where people were so I could go out of my way and meet them. The ones that I know, and my potential clients.  I am sorry that I sounded 'pitiful and whiny' I really am, it was not meant to come off like that at all. But we haven't met personaly, so you wouldn't know.

I do admit to being bored. I assure you. Hence why I am looking to travel about, and letting people know.

Most of my friends are on this forum, and I don't think I was 'crying out'. But I digress. I've stated I just wanted to met the people I knew, and kept it open for new friends. I am not targeting anyone for not 'going out of their way'. But that is how you took it, so fine. Have at it.  Like I said, you wouldn't know if you hadn't met me.

I've already shown that I don't like people all up in my business. That is what Mikey displayed. You know how he is as much as I do, and I didn't appreciate him just assuming the type of personality I was displaying that is quite common on these boards. Let's not discuss this here in this topic. If you want you can message me and we can talk through that. This is not the place.

2010 cosplay...?

LordKefka

Quote from: Jun-Watarase on February 24, 2009, 12:34:29 AM
Quote from: LordKefka on February 24, 2009, 12:24:48 AM

animu friends suck

I think you should like what you like, and if you want to talk about anime, then start off the conversation about anime. It's not bad to have other interests, too. :|

Yeah, lol. It's really whatever you both feel like, whatever comes natural I guess. But with this recession, everyone has an interest in economy xD

Then again, I haven't always been the perfect friend and end up pissing a few off "unintentionally"... I make up though ...>.>;

ps. If anyone, blame me for derailing anything...-.-;
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

JTchinoy

I can derail this thread further if necessary.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X