Racist Music Just a Download Away on Mainstream Music Sites

Started by deonchan, February 25, 2009, 03:34:29 PM

deonchan

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,500104,00.html

QuoteSchoep, who said his label has seen a recent "uptick" in sales despite a worsening economy, said the songs distributed by his label are no different from those of more popular acts like Rage Against the Machine.

"If you're going to be able to carry that hard-core Marxist stuff, what is the problem with someone saying, 'White pride, worldwide?'" Schoep asked.

"You can't have a double standard. If pro-white voices can't be heard, what about rap artists who say it's time to kill cops and drag them through the streets?"

Quote"The racist right is really taking advantage of the room Amazon is giving them," Flanagan said. "We're not talking about a First Amendment issue here. They're a business and they have a right not to sell whatever they want. It's a business decision they're making ...

"It's absolutely their right to sell it," she said, "but it could be their choice not to — if they wanted to take a stand on it."

Schoep, who claims pro-white music is "going more mainstream," said removing bands like Skrewdriver and Brutal Attack would be "un-American" and would amount to outright censorship.

"The minute they start censoring, then we're not living in America anymore," he told FOXNews.com. "If people don't like it, don't listen to it, or don't buy it. But some people out there want it."

So, where do we draw the line? Or better yet DO we draw the line? The constitution states that Americans are allowed freedom of speech not freedom of speech except.

The simple answer is just don't listen to it. People choose to purchase and listen to what music they want. But on the other hand this isn't a if you ignore the problem it'll go away.

So, what say you?
Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

Chewie

QuoteSchoep, who said his label has seen a recent "uptick" in sales despite a worsening economy, said the songs distributed by his label are no different from those of more popular acts like Rage Against the Machine.

"If you're going to be able to carry that hard-core Marxist stuff, what is the problem with someone saying, 'White pride, worldwide?'" Schoep asked.

"You can't have a double standard. If pro-white voices can't be heard, what about rap artists who say it's time to kill cops and drag them through the streets?"

This pretty much sums up any intelligent argument anyone should have for this. Most people will obviously choose to have a double standard, or maybe even the lesser of the two evils but only because they're 'comfortable' with the Marxist/KillCops rappers.

Meirin

Fanimaid Veteran circa 2009

Glitch

RadioactiveKitty

people ARE entitled to their freedom of speech :/ i guess no matter how bad it may seem. just you know be careful who you may offend XD

LordMoufMouf

Quote"You can't have a double standard. If pro-white voices can't be heard, what about rap artists who say it's time to kill cops and drag them through the streets?"

I actually agree completely. America claims to be "The Land of the Free", when it's really "The Land of the Rich", catering to these wealthy rap artists who only sing about their whores and shooting policemen. I'm sick of it. Apparently, quite a few whites are too. They deserve to be heard.

PyronIkari

Quote from: LordMoufMouf on March 13, 2009, 10:24:20 PM

I actually agree completely. America claims to be "The Land of the Free", when it's really "The Land of the Rich", catering to these wealthy rap artists who only sing about their whores and shooting policemen. I'm sick of it. Apparently, quite a few whites are too. They deserve to be heard.

You apparently didn't read this as you said the OPPOSITE of what you quoted and then said "I agree completely".

To be honest, it sounds almost as if you're trolling.

They can be heard, but they can't do anything, that's the point of free speech. Those rappers have a right to sing what they want, and people have a right to say how they don't like it.

RadioactiveKitty

Quote from: LordMoufMouf on March 13, 2009, 10:24:20 PM
Quote"You can't have a double standard. If pro-white voices can't be heard, what about rap artists who say it's time to kill cops and drag them through the streets?"

hm well well well some things kinda opened my eyes   :o and my eyes DID NOT LIKE THE TRUTH! i was listening to some music being played at my school and O...M...G it was the most offensive load of crap- i mean it was referring to women as bi***es in a derogatory way O.O i mean not like saying i dong listen to music like that refers to women as that, i listen to Theory of a DeadMan- look up No Surprise. its not like rap at all, its like wow... so my opinion is like rap should be toned down... like if your gonna listen to rap listen to like Gorillaz style XD DIrty Harry, Feel Good Inc... not this stuff that could make some cry.

and i dont care for cops (not saying all are bad, they are needed to keep peace around you know?) but i respect them highly enough not to like say derogatory smack about them >.<

PyronIkari

Quote from: RadioactiveKitty on March 16, 2009, 07:13:45 PM
hm well well well some things kinda opened my eyes   :o and my eyes DID NOT LIKE THE TRUTH! i was listening to some music being played at my school and O...M...G it was the most offensive load of crap- i mean it was referring to women as bi***es in a derogatory way O.O i mean not like saying i dong listen to music like that refers to women as that, i listen to Theory of a DeadMan- look up No Surprise. its not like rap at all, its like wow... so my opinion is like rap should be toned down... like if your gonna listen to rap listen to like Gorillaz style XD DIrty Harry, Feel Good Inc... not this stuff that could make some cry.

and i dont care for cops (not saying all are bad, they are needed to keep peace around you know?) but i respect them highly enough not to like say derogatory smack about them >.<

... Where have you been in the last century? Music has always had lyrics like this. Music was used to protest, to offend, and then some forever.

Your opinion of rap means nothing... seeing that "rap" itself doesn't describe content.

Please exit whatever box you've been hiding in and see the world.

You didn't even address anything with this post.

Music is art. Art has always pushed the boundaries of everything. Art has criticized races, governments, worlds and nations. If you censor art, you've killed the world. Art is offensive, art is critical of everything, and everyone is a victim of it. But it's also what makes us grow. The moment you tell someone that their art isn't allowed because it's offensive, the moment you're saying that all art should not exist.

hylian_blooded

yeah free speech and all, but you HAVE to draw the line somewhere. i mean yeah killing cops is NOT cool- my grandpa was a cop. and a cool one at that. but my younger sis listens to HELLA racist music and in my opinion it should not exist, but unfortunately it does. so i think its just something we have to live with. oh well i dont wanna get kicked off the forums so ill just keep quiet
The rising sun will eventually set,
A newborn's life will fade.
From sun to moon, moon to sun...
Give peaceful rest to the living dead.

hylian_blooded

Quote from: PyronIkari on March 16, 2009, 10:25:28 PM
Quote from: RadioactiveKitty on March 16, 2009, 07:13:45 PM

... Where have you been in the last century? Music has always had lyrics like this. Music was used to protest, to offend, and then some forever.

Your opinion of rap means nothing... seeing that "rap" itself doesn't describe content.

Please exit whatever box you've been hiding in and see the world.

You didn't even address anything with this post.

Music is art. Art has always pushed the boundaries of everything. Art has criticized races, governments, worlds and nations. If you censor art, you've killed the world. Art is offensive, art is critical of everything, and everyone is a victim of it. But it's also what makes us grow. The moment you tell someone that their art isn't allowed because it's offensive, the moment you're saying that all art should not exist.

PyronIkari- must you be so harsh? i seen some of your other posts, ESPECIALLY with RadioActiveKitty- you both have different opinions... and as my older sis says "opinions are like faces every one has one, and some may offend."

and talking about killing cops and f****** b****S is NOT art it is what is wrong with scociety it is telling people like my lil sister that it ok to go smoke, go drink, go take drugs, go get laid when she wants. SHE IS 14 GOING ON 15!

it is corrupting the young these days

Kaura117

Argh. Missing the point entirely. First, on the actual substance of the debate, there are few objective lines in which we can define what is and isn't art: rather, we can define whether or not it's legal, and while many of us don't find rap music to be entirely pleasant, those that do seek it out completely consensually. If your little sister is listening to filth, blame yourself, your parents and her for raising her in such a way that its themes of urban violence are somehow romantic to her. Nobody's tied her up to a chair and taped a pair of headphones around her ears to brainwash her into liking it - and if family influence is getting trumped over by street influence, I'd say the problem lies... elsewhere.

Not to mention that some early forms of rap, before its mainstreaming, does have artistic value to it - as an examination of the reality of urban life and an outlet for its stresses. And even some contemporary artists hold true to those merits - as do legions of amateurs. Music serves as a reflection of the social turbulences of its contextual era: silencing any form of it is nothing more than turning a deaf ear towards what is quite possibly an incoming stampede. Better to listen than to ignore.

As for the meta-critique, not all opinions are equally valid. Opinions based off facts and opinions with a stronger narrative structure are always considered more valid. It doesn't matter whether or not they offend - it matters entirely if there's any substance to back it up. Ikari's arguments tend to hold water - RKitty's are about as porous as a sponge, and ill-defended to boot.

hylian_blooded

Quote from: Kaura117 on March 17, 2009, 11:30:06 AM
Argh. Missing the point entirely. First, on the actual substance of the debate, there are few objective lines in which we can define what is and isn't art: rather, we can define whether or not it's legal, and while many of us don't find rap music to be entirely pleasant, those that do seek it out completely consensually. If your little sister is listening to filth, blame yourself, your parents and her for raising her in such a way that its themes of urban violence are somehow romantic to her. Nobody's tied her up to a chair and taped a pair of headphones around her ears to brainwash her into liking it - and if family influence is getting trumped over by street influence, I'd say the problem lies... elsewhere.

Not to mention that some early forms of rap, before its mainstreaming, does have artistic value to it - as an examination of the reality of urban life and an outlet for its stresses. And even some contemporary artists hold true to those merits - as do legions of amateurs. Music serves as a reflection of the social turbulences of its contextual era: silencing any form of it is nothing more than turning a deaf ear towards what is quite possibly an incoming stampede. Better to listen than to ignore.

As for the meta-critique, not all opinions are equally valid. Opinions based off facts and opinions with a stronger narrative structure are always considered more valid. It doesn't matter whether or not they offend - it matters entirely if there's any substance to back it up. Ikari's arguments tend to hold water - RKitty's are about as porous as a sponge, and ill-defended to boot.

you hold a good point, my friend. and in my mind PyronIkari is ABLE to have his or her own opinion yet do they have to be so harsh? (Sorry PyronIkari i do not know your gender) i mean yeah if RadioActive Kitty would just back up with more facts.
me with my lil sister yeah thats facts, and yeah her friends kinda took her into that. and my parents try grounding her and everything else in the book, i mean we had her grounded for like 4 months one time still nothing worked. so we are baffled at what to do. BUT NOT THE POINT (...sorry i went on an off topic rant...)
and yeah, RAP is not just going to go away. and looking back yeah MC Hammer, Run DMC, Will Smith(a few names i hope y'all know) they are rap... and well i do like them. so in a way i contradicted myself. i do like some rap.
i mean if it is someones personal prefferance, its ok.

PyronIkari

Quote from: hylian_blooded on March 17, 2009, 03:59:58 PMWords

Art is art. Whether you think it is or not.

The thing about this is... you are using such a horrible analogy and comparison, that what you say has no base. Your sister listens to rap... okay. You're saying it's a bad influence? Isn't that the job of her parents, friends, family to prevent her from acting a certain way just because a song says it's okay to do?

But let's talk about the art aspect shall we? Have you actually listened to Cop Killer? The original song, and listened to the lyrics? The song was a rebellious song concerning police brutality. The song was about returning the favor for how police officers often treated African American citizens. Ice T wrote the song after the Rodney King beating.

As I said, music is art, and censoring music opens up pandoras box. Anything with an opinion is up to be censored now. You're right, everyone has an opinion... but guess what, the moment you disallow someone to speak their opinion you're going to far. I am harsh, because RadioActiveKitty has repeatedly shown how ignorant/sheltered/narrow-minded he is. To others, it's not so much the same. Spouting out stupid comments without support gets you told off, because you're not discussing you're just shouting idiotically.

Censoring lyrics because they talk about sex, or violence, or racism... is no different than censoring an image that depicts Hitler in a negative way. By displaying the events or acts of the Rape of Nanking. Those image are derogatory towards German's and the Japanese. They shouldn't be allowed... or at least... that's what you're saying.

BrightHeart76

My radio has an off button.  When something comes on that I don't like, I try to listen to what the message is once.  Then I turn it off.

I hate the idea of censoring music.  However, I think that the concept of creating a clear and present danger can be applied to some music.  If an artist releases music that most sane people believe could lead the listener to perform a criminal act, then that music must be censored.

How does this apply to Racist music?  I've heard racist music.  What I've heard attempts to breed and strengthen hate.  Hate in and of itself is not a clear and present danger.  I don't believe that any sane person would do harm to another person because of these lyrics.  If someone was already likely to commit a crime of hate, they may use this as their soundtrack, but the germ of the crime is in them, not the song.

When all is said and done, I choose to just turn the garbage off.  There's much better music out there to listen to.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

ewu

freedom of speech is freedom of speech. the challenge is getting more people that are opposed to this type of speech to speak out themselves and drown out the hate.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

RadioactiveKitty

Quote from: BrightHeart76 on March 18, 2009, 09:33:40 PM
My radio has an off button.  When something comes on that I don't like, I try to listen to what the message is once.  Then I turn it off.

I hate the idea of censoring music.  However, I think that the concept of creating a clear and present danger can be applied to some music.  If an artist releases music that most sane people believe could lead the listener to perform a criminal act, then that music must be censored.

How does this apply to Racist music?  I've heard racist music.  What I've heard attempts to breed and strengthen hate.  Hate in and of itself is not a clear and present danger.  I don't believe that any sane person would do harm to another person because of these lyrics.  If someone was already likely to commit a crime of hate, they may use this as their soundtrack, but the germ of the crime is in them, not the song.

When all is said and done, I choose to just turn the garbage off.  There's much better music out there to listen to.

you know...
i like the way you think, i mean me to i listen to the meaning of lyrics...
i dont listen much to the radio but when i do hear garbage i just tune it out (i always have my ipod on me)

Kazuko

But its really not that bad, Artists have freedom of speech here in america I have a cousin who used to dabble in the Rap buisness here in the Bay Area. I got to actually listen to some of his work and while I dont listen to rap often the words were about F the police and other stuff like that based on what happened to him in real life. He was framed and was sent to jail by the cops he talked about how he he was badly mistreated by the cops and that the hearing was unfair and whatever. Sure theres swear words but stuff like that but its how someone feels its best to say it and let it out in verbal form rather than really taking it out on whoever they sing about. Most artists write about politics or whatever in a negative light but you guys arent arguing about rock music it has alot of the same things too almost. But its still art and art always has a way of expressing thing such as opression, violence or other events that happen.

People understand whats good and bad, a song like "cop killer" wont make people go kill cops will it? No because they know that they could get into serious trouble. Its like if you gave a kid GTA, they arent going to go kill people and beat up hookers because they know the real consequences and most kids know that its just a game.

Yuu

Im very sick of the double standards in the country.

People bring up the subject of "The 'N"  word and I tell them " If they are going to call all woman bitches then Ill call them a N**** and people are SHOCKED.
It really isnt any different at all. But no one sees it that way because this society says sexism is okay but racism isnt ( notice that even I feel I cant even type out N**** but bitch I can say)

Here at school there are clubs for EVERY race imaginable..that is not white.
Those clubs exist to spread awareness about cultures ect. \
America/'white' is NOT a culture.
This country has no culture, thus having a German, or Irish club would be no different as it would exist to teach those cultrue ( which are VERY differet from the 'culture here)
Between the club flyers is a poster against " Black...oppresion.." soemthing like that.
It said 'Schools not jails" My thought was // did you look at any of the other posters on thsi wall? Or 60% of the students? //
Of coarse, this is Communtiy college, people come here to learn how to protest anything they can find, not get an education.

On my way to Daiso I heard a group of black girls say " Lets go to the Jap store!' Point-Everyone is racist towards everyone else. Wether it is just a light joke, or harsh slurs. as long it doesnt violatepeople from the 7th Amendment, or escalate to violence. It shouldnt be made into such a big deal.

And as far as 'Freedom of speech" it isnt all encompassing. The exceptions are " Fighting words" and .."Slander" I believe. There may be one more.

" Your aren't taking sides if you spread out violence evenly"

RadioactiveKitty

Quote from: Yuu on March 19, 2009, 11:52:21 AM

Im very sick of the double standards in the country.

People bring up the subject of "The 'N"  word and I tell them " If they are going to call all woman bitches then Ill call them a N**** and people are SHOCKED.
It really isnt any different at all. But no one sees it that way because this society says sexism is okay but racism isnt ( notice that even I feel I cant even type out N**** but bitch I can say)

Here at school there are clubs for EVERY race imaginable..that is not white.
Those clubs exist to spread awareness about cultures ect. \
America/'white' is NOT a culture.
This country has no culture, thus having a German, or Irish club would be no different as it would exist to teach those cultrue ( which are VERY differet from the 'culture here)
Between the club flyers is a poster against " Black...oppresion.." soemthing like that.
It said 'Schools not jails" My thought was // did you look at any of the other posters on thsi wall? Or 60% of the students? //
Of coarse, this is Communtiy college, people come here to learn how to protest anything they can find, not get an education.

On my way to Daiso I heard a group of black girls say " Lets go to the Jap store!' Point-Everyone is racist towards everyone else. Wether it is just a light joke, or harsh slurs. as long it doesnt violatepeople from the 7th Amendment, or escalate to violence. It shouldnt be made into such a big deal.

And as far as 'Freedom of speech" it isnt all encompassing. The exceptions are " Fighting words" and .."Slander" I believe. There may be one more.

you know i like the way you think-
some black girls saying "lets go to the jap store" thats not really racist, thats just saying they like japanese food/ style/ stuff... etc. idk i think this whole 'person one-"n*****" person 2 "you said n***** you are a racist"' is really getting old its a word it is used every day but it can hurt people. im not all lovey peace in the world kind of person, but it would be nicer if someone slipped and said it DOES not get their ass jumped because i have seen that happen. but still i think this is somewhat straying from the thread...

but in all honesty i do agree with what you say...