Free Soda? Free Soda Brigade?

Started by Dolagunov, March 01, 2009, 10:30:02 PM

Dolagunov

You all know how dehydrating the line for the dealers room and the dealers room itself can be. There's only maybe two machines that dispense unsavory $5 soda in the entire complex.

I have an internal frame backpack that can probably carry around 14 six packs, and you can find soda on sale at Safeway or places that sell Western Family brand for $1.60 for a six pack. So, backpack full of soda would be around $20.

What do you guys think about me loading up my backpack with soda, putting a FREE SODA sign on the back, and going about the usual fun of the dealers line and the dealers room and whatnot?

Moreover, what do you think of getting a fairly large number of people in on this? It'd be a great way to give back to the community, and good excercise too. It would probably be a good way of meeting new people. And everyone's more fun, and has more fun, with some sugar in them.

I'm fairly set on the idea myself, it seems like it would be fun.

-Dolagunov.

Steve.Young

That may or may not get you into trouble because the SJCC sells soda...
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

TuHapi4u

Sorry to say, but It's been vetoed by the SJCC due to contracts with their soda supplier and free distribution rights, permits with such contrats, blah, blah, blah.  Plus if that was to go bad, i would hate ruin the floor with that mess.  Definite points for a good idea though. 
Maybe we can talk to the SJCC about putting more water out around those areas
Rovers Second
Night shift Lead

M

Unfortunately, I'm 99.99% sure that you can't hand out free food/drinks. There's many reasons for this, but the gist of it all is 'safety' regardless of your intent (which sounds like you're trying to help out everyone).
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Tony

I think it's an awesome idea, but ... well it's already been said: it makes the convention center and food safety people very sad.  :'(
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Dolagunov

I understand. If even 5 people spilled their beverages all over the dealers room the cost would far outweigh the benefits of such a deed. And yeah, it'd be taking money away from the people who are supposed to be providing beverages.

---Dolagunov.