Takoyaki~ <3

Started by Kanzake, March 16, 2009, 10:03:07 PM

Kanzake

Does anyone know of any good places that serve fresh authentic takoyaki? D: I havent had these since i was 13 or so
Fanime Rovers Department 2nd - Ku

LordKefka

FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Kanzake

D: i guess i should of specified, stupid me.

In the bay area? XD

LastElixir

slimchance

Make it at home. 

Go to japanese market - buy the flour, some cabbage, fresh squid...you can find all the stuffs you need to make takoyaki at the market. 

RaddaX2

I think they serve takoyaki in street vendors during the Cherry Blossom festival in SF which should be sometime soon.  That's only what I've heard though... I also heard that everything's over priced (no surprise) and the lines are long.
It ain't the meaning of life but the feeling of it.

Sunara Ishi

Mitsuwa serves Takoyaki.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

Kanzake

ive heard their takoyaki isnt too great.

At this rate, i think im abandoning my search for it. Im about to just go buy a grill and make it myself *nods*

a good.. 30 - 40 dollar investment lol

Hakaru_chan

Quote from: Kanzake on March 17, 2009, 05:31:53 PM

At this rate, i think im abandoning my search for it. Im about to just go buy a grill and make it myself *nods*

hey radda.. i think this is andrew lolz
Backstage Personality for CWF - Cosplay Wrestling Federation
www.twitch.tv/cwfnetwork

WaffoCellist

I got an electric takoyaki maker (actually has removable griddles, one for takoyaki and the other for okonomiyaki) for about $45 total (including tax) from San Jose Mitsuwa last year...get it now before the dreaded sales tax hike on April 1st.

Ever since then, I have been throwing Takoyaki parties at home and at school with my anime club students as well as my marching band and winter percussion students.

You can get everything at the market, including the flour mix - just add egg and water.  I usually use cabbage, tako (of course), tenkasu (looks exactly like Rice Krispies), pickeled red ginger, and thinly sliced mochi (I usually get the dry thin sliced ones for Shabu Shabu....it adds a great gooey texture to the takoyaki!).  I added cheese once to try to imitate the takoyaki chips I had, but found it too cheesy tasting...you may like it though.  Don't forget the bonito flakes, sauce and Kewpi mayo!!!

If I run out of the savory fillings...I then make Chocoyaki!!!!  Just toss a few chocolate chips and sliced mochi in the molds and you now have a dessert!  The trick is to add the batter in the molds and let it cook a bit before you add the chips and mochi.  Other wise, the chips will sink and you'll have burnt chips.  (Hint: you can fix this buy mixing the chips in a little bit of flower before adding to the batter...helps keep them afloat).
It's a convict...it's a felon...NO! It's a Fanime Logistics Staffer coming your way!!!!

Hakaru_chan

Quote from: WaffoCellist on March 19, 2009, 02:16:44 PM

I got an electric takoyaki maker (actually has removable griddles, one for takoyaki and the other for okonomiyaki) for about $45 total (including tax) from San Jose Mitsuwa last year...get it now before the dreaded sales tax hike on April 1st.

Ever since then, I have been throwing Takoyaki parties at home and at school with my anime club students as well as my marching band and winter percussion students.

You can get everything at the market, including the flour mix - just add egg and water.  I usually use cabbage, tako (of course), tenkasu (looks exactly like Rice Krispies), pickeled red ginger, and thinly sliced mochi (I usually get the dry thin sliced ones for Shabu Shabu....it adds a great gooey texture to the takoyaki!).  I added cheese once to try to imitate the takoyaki chips I had, but found it too cheesy tasting...you may like it though.  Don't forget the bonito flakes, sauce and Kewpi mayo!!!

If I run out of the savory fillings...I then make Chocoyaki!!!!  Just toss a few chocolate chips and sliced mochi in the molds and you now have a dessert!  The trick is to add the batter in the molds and let it cook a bit before you add the chips and mochi.  Other wise, the chips will sink and you'll have burnt chips.  (Hint: you can fix this buy mixing the chips in a little bit of flower before adding to the batter...helps keep them afloat).

whats and wheres san jose mitsuwa? ohh and one more question. i think you posted on the dress center dress thread but what winter percussion/school are you from/teaching?  ;D
www.twitch.tv/cwfnetwork

WaffoCellist

whats and wheres san jose mitsuwa? ohh and one more question. i think you posted on the dress center dress thread but what winter percussion/school are you from/teaching?  ;D
[/quote]

Mitsuwa is a Japanese supermarket located off of Saratoga Ave./I-280 in San Jose.  I got my electric takoyaki/okonomiyai grill there...I went to the SF one thinking they would have a better selection there and in SF J-Town in general, but I wasn't able to find an electric one.  Mine makes just about 2 dozen takoyaki's per batch.

Yeah...I did post on that thread...I teach at Arroyo High School in San Lorenzo. 
It's a convict...it's a felon...NO! It's a Fanime Logistics Staffer coming your way!!!!

Hakaru_chan

Quote from: WaffoCellist on March 19, 2009, 05:55:34 PM

Mitsuwa is a Japanese supermarket located off of Saratoga Ave./I-280 in San Jose.  I got my electric takoyaki/okonomiyai grill there...I went to the SF one thinking they would have a better selection there and in SF J-Town in general, but I wasn't able to find an electric one.  Mine makes just about 2 dozen takoyaki's per batch.

Yeah...I did post on that thread...I teach at Arroyo High School in San Lorenzo. 
[/quote]

hmm coolio  ;D ... soooo..... since theres so many band geeks in here (sorrie for my use of language) do you think making a colorguard/drumline kind of thing for the fanime masquerade would be a good idea? or bad idea? (i dont' want to bring bad face to it)   ::)  (i need to check out the rules of the masquerade because i heard that theres NO tossing of any sort?)

sorrie it went off topic. i think i want takoyaki now >:3
www.twitch.tv/cwfnetwork

WaffoCellist

Quote from: Hakaru_chan on March 19, 2009, 06:08:04 PM
Quote from: WaffoCellist on March 19, 2009, 05:55:34 PM

hmm coolio  ;D ... soooo..... since theres so many band geeks in here (sorrie for my use of language) do you think making a colorguard/drumline kind of thing for the fanime masquerade would be a good idea? or bad idea? (i dont' want to bring bad face to it)   ::)  (i need to check out the rules of the masquerade because i heard that theres NO tossing of any sort?)

sorrie it went off topic. i think i want takoyaki now >:3

off topic...My winter percussion did Yakitate! Ja-pan a couple of years ago for our winter show (it's on YouTube).  I want my PIT to do it this year at masquerade, but I haven't asked them yet.  We even had our props painted of the Yakitate! characters and had shelves of bread....back to food so back on topic ;D

Hope you make takoyaki soon...now I want to make some!