Yeah!
19 (38.8%)
They found out eventually
13 (26.5%)
Kinda sorta
15 (30.6%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Umeboshi

Okay, so i'm not sure if this poll has been made before but..

I Wanted to know, if anyone out there was a closet geek.

Cause my myself, well!

When i came to my new school i kept it under a tight lid, so i wasn't laughed out. Hahah, after i made friends, they kinda caught on, ( Due to my zelda backpack and t-shirts)
xD but they totally except it, i have a buncha friends from preps to also geeks and it's great. Even my brother who was a magic geek and didnt have many friends, asked me how the f i did it. oh and the fact that i can own all my dude pals on any game ( Except gears) also gives it away

So, ;3 i'm accepted <3

But i wanna know if any of you out there like, are still kinda hiding the fact that yoru desktop is exploding with downloads of anime, and you dont let anyone see it?

How does it effect you?

Cosplay for 2009 is:
Blaire - Soul Eater
Shampoo - Ranma 1/2
Lunamaria - Gundam Seed Destiny
and.. er ya

Devdaron

No, they will never accept me and my ways U_U  :'( tis so sad. tehe. jk jk. I'm out and proud ;D ;D ;D ;D

woot for teh geekiness!

SOawesomeness

Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

PyronIkari

Neither? I'm into geeky things, but realistically you can't really call me a geek.

It also matters on what definition of geek you're going on here.

XpHoBiaX

I thought the word "Otaku" was not so great a word to use....?

I vaguely remember someone discussing the actual meaning/term a loooooong time a ago.

Anyways, I am a geek. Just not very much of an anime geek.

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

PyronIkari

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on March 23, 2009, 05:43:21 PM
I thought the word "Otaku" was not so great a word to use....?

I vaguely remember someone discussing the actual meaning/term a loooooong time a ago.

Anyways, I am a geek. Just not very much of an anime geek.

It's a horrible word to use actually, just, stupid Americans use it because they think it roughly means nerd and *IT'S JAPANESE!*

Even real JP otaku don't call themselves otaku, they call themselves akiba-kei now, because it doesn't have the negative connotation. The ones that do admit they're otaku, usually just admit it, they don't take pride in it, it's more of a "I know I am, so what..." type deal.

Runewitt

my er... /interest/ is known to a lot of my friends, but we're all "wierd" in one way or another so it doesnt matter. I'm not the kind of guy who says OMG ITS JAPANESE WHOA, but i am interested in learning more about japanese culture, not just anime/manga related things. Hey, i've even got managers at work who argue over how bad Dragon Ball is going to be, and who gets time off for which conventions.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

Jun-Watarase

Somehow I don't think calling oneself akiba-kei would make it much better, honestly. XD

Email me at [email protected] if you want to be a maid! Sign ups close in March! Hurry!
FanimaidCafe.com

LordKefka

What if I deny my otakunality when someone calls me an otaku and I laugh brush it off... does that make me a void in life? DOES IT?! ;-;
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

BrightHeart76

I'm a proud geek.  It's actually something I use to my benefit at school.  A lot of the kids who would otherwise feel scared to talk about "geek topics" feel comfortable talking to me about them.  It's fun to see that a lot of the "cool kids" are really just geeks at heart.   ;D
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Mister_E

I'm pretty open with my geekiness when it comes to anime and Star Wars around my friends and whatnot and it's all good with them.
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

questionette

...I don't wear the T-shirts or bring manga to school or anything like that, but when people bring up anime in conversation I definitely contribute :) So people really only know about my otaku-dom if they inquire about it

codex biblio

Truthfully, I'm neither. I enjoy things that might be geeky to certain groups, but is just part of who I am. And of course, it really depends on your meaning of "geek".

I just think that the term, "geek", is actually a lot more mainstream now than it used to be. Which truthfully, dilutes it somewhat. But that's semantics. I couldn't take your poll since I didn't fit in any of the responses. Sorry.  :-\

Umeboshi

yay us then. It is pretty nice when theyre cool with it. Lol i love not hahving to hide it. Dx its cute when they ask about it. And then laugh /die

Cosplay for 2009 is:
Blaire - Soul Eater
Shampoo - Ranma 1/2
and.. er ya

XpHoBiaX

I don't hear anything about Nerds, you know. They at least have a movie. >.>

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

Barnes

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on March 23, 2009, 09:30:55 PM
I don't hear anything about Nerds, you know. They at least have a movie. >.>

Revenge of the Nerds?  ;D

As for the topic question, I don't know. I never put too much thought into all this.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

G.I.R

Umeboshi

Cosplay for 2009 is:
Blaire - Soul Eater
Shampoo - Ranma 1/2
and.. er ya

AnimeEmperor

Trumby

Quote from: questionette on March 23, 2009, 08:37:52 PM
...I don't wear the T-shirts or bring manga to school or anything like that, but when people bring up anime in conversation I definitely contribute :) So people really only know about my otaku-dom if they inquire about it
I'm more or less like this as well, except for the fact that I wear Kumoricon (I staff there) and PDXLAN shirts. If someone inquires I'm more than happy talking about it. Most everyone I work with knows how nerdy I am just from having simple conversations.
Fanime cosplays (if I can make it..!)
Snowtrooper (Star Wars)
Greed (FMA)
Random pirate
Kurosaki Isshin (working on it now)