Define geek, please

Started by codex biblio, March 26, 2009, 01:27:56 PM

codex biblio

Since I couldn't take the poll in the other thread, and other people also brought it up, did anyone have a good definition of "geek"? Or maybe "nerd"?  Are they synonymous?

PyronIkari

Quote from: codex biblio on March 26, 2009, 01:27:56 PM
Since I couldn't take the poll in the other thread, and other people also brought it up, did anyone have a good definition of "geek"? Or maybe "nerd"?  Are they synonymous?

It's regional, and according to who you ask. Lets just go to word origins.

The word Geek and Nerd was created in the form of jealousy. It was a label to give to smarter kids, in an attempt to make "being smart" a negative thing. Less intelligent people would call the smarter kids "Nerds" or "geeks" so that they would be looked upon negative for being superior.

In the 80's and 90's the word "nerd" or geek" changed more towards ones hobbies, over ones intelligence. So a geek or nerd was someone merely with "abnormal" hobbies over normal ones.

In the later 90's and 2000, the word changed to anyone that enjoyed these hobbies, regardless if they were normal or not. So even the most normal people were considered geeks or nerds, if they played video games, or enjoyed computer work.

So essentially, it matters who you ask as to what definition you get.

Am I a nerd because I watch JP cartoons, play video games, and do a lot of stuff on my computer? If that is the only requisite, yes. If you include that, I'm incredibly social and outgoing, and I also follow pop culture and stuff as well, then no, I am not a geek. Do I hide the fact that I do either?

Frankly, it's a label. A label that people wear as a badge of honor now, regardless of its connotation, and that in itself, is more stupid than being labeled a geek in the negative sense.

Piccahoe

Quote from: PyronIkari on March 26, 2009, 02:11:40 PM
The word Geek and Nerd was created in the form of jealousy. It was a label to give to smarter kids, in an attempt to make "being smart" a negative thing. Less intelligent people would call the smarter kids "Nerds" or "geeks" so that they would be looked upon negative for being superior.

I agree.

if I go by the 2000's definition of geek, then yes, I'm a geek/nerd/whatever and I don't care if I am one because I love what I do.
"Its not that I'm smart, its because I (am able to) stick to the problems."

-Albert Einstein