Would people be willing to purchase blades simmilar to this?

Started by Rodney_Pheonix, March 26, 2009, 04:41:50 PM

Rodney_Pheonix

I made this blade last week, it's a straight single edged blade solid wood, which I think is Pine. I haven't tested is strength but I think it would stand up to being a prop, and is more for show than practical stuff. I'd suggest a Boken, or something else designed for practice, for that anyway.

If there is a Niche for decorative swords like this I'd probably consider getting a booth and selling at the Con.  I'd probably place a value of $20 for the time I took on it, and the materials themselves, tell me what you think.

Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

XpHoBiaX

You would have to check rules and regs about selling things like that.
It being a potential "weapon" and all. I believe you need a business license and purchase a spot for a table in AA.

Link:
http://www.fanime.com/documents.html

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

Rodney_Pheonix

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on April 01, 2009, 07:15:37 PM
You would have to check rules and regs about selling things like that.
It being a potential "weapon" and all. I believe you need a business license and purchase a spot for a table in AA.

Link:
http://www.fanime.com/documents.html

I know that I'd need to get all that, I'm just fielding the question on whether people would be willing to even buy the product before I even consider trying to sell them.
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?

XpHoBiaX

I personaly think something like that is pretty cool, and everyone's always looking for props.

I can't honestly say it will or won't sell though. I just don't know. Try it and see. ;)  Maybe make a few props and show them off. See how the response is, and offer them for sale in the Buy Sell Trade forum.

2010 cosplay...?

Rodney_Pheonix

Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?

TousenKaname

In all honesty, I would def buy something like this. It looks professionally made and neat ^^ Keep up the good work!

Rodney_Pheonix

Quote from: TousenKaname on April 10, 2009, 07:46:55 PM
In all honesty, I would def buy something like this. It looks professionally made and neat ^^ Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the compliment but in my opinion it's no good. Because of the tape I used (or possibly how soon after I did the second coat of paint that I put the tape on it's likely a combination of things) some of the paint got messed up when I took the tape off, and there is a distinct line that can be felt along the edges where the paint lines are.

Though it might just be the tape I used, as I didn't have scotch painters tape I used duct tape.

Though likely I can and will improve on the way I painted it I'm going to go with the pessimist route, as I do with all my art and say it's crap and not let any one else's opinion on the subject enter my head because for some reason I figure if my confidence in something isn't there, then there's nothing to shatter when I do screw up on something. It's a strange thought process but it works out for me.

Hmmm... now to wonder when I'll b a able to go to Home Depot and get some new bits of wood to carve into swords, and possibly a couple new saws+sawblades to make a more curved blade.

[Edit]

Oh and tape, definitely some painters scotch tape to see if it makes a difference.
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?

XpHoBiaX

If the paint is spray paint, you need at least a day or two for the paint to set. Primming your work would help a lot too. ;)

Actually anything that is getting painted should be primmed, set for a day, painted, and set for 2 days at least. O_o Found that out the hard way. lol

2010 cosplay...?

Rodney_Pheonix

Quote from: XpHoBiaX on April 26, 2009, 04:19:41 PM
If the paint is spray paint, you need at least a day or two for the paint to set. Primming your work would help a lot too. ;)

Actually anything that is getting painted should be primmed, set for a day, painted, and set for 2 days at least. O_o Found that out the hard way. lol

Thanks for the info. I'm going to repaint it, and I'm looking into getting proper painters scotch tape. Though I think everything from the down to the end of the handle worked out alright so I'm going to cover that in a bag, and just focus on the blade itself. Once I get some more good wood I'm going to make a few more, possibly knives.
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?

Rodney_Pheonix

Redid the paint on my first blade, and made three more.

Paint bled under the tape so meh, looks interesting though.

All four:

Knives: One is loosely based on a throwing knife, the other a combat knife.

Swords: Top is the repaint on the first blade. Bottom is a shorter, and slightly curved sword. No guard though.

Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?

GyzmoAlchemist

Well done!  I'm not much of a sword fanatic (guns're more my thing), but they are certainly pleasing to the eye!

Rodney_Pheonix

If I get my hands on some cans of paint I'm going to fix up the details like the paint that bled under the tape.
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?