Help identifying a (military?) helmet style?

Started by Nina Star 9, April 06, 2009, 01:21:03 PM

Nina Star 9

I am working on a cosplay of a military-styled outfit, including a helmet. (Amano Tsukiko - Ningyou PV, if anyone is curious) However, I know next to nothing of military uniform or helmets, so I have been having a hard time finding one suitable.

I'm mostly looking for shape, as colour can be changed and decorative false rivets can be added if needed, and a reasonable price. A cheap costume one is perfect, but most of the ones I have found stick out too far in the front, and I need one that is flat in the front.

Is there something more specific that I should be looking for, or should I give up and get one with more or a "brim" in front because I won't be able to find one like this for a reasonable price?

Thank you. :D

Jidai Geki

Nine Star 9,

After staring at the sample photos for 10min, I'm convinced that this isn't a military helmet... It looks more like a motorcycle helmet worn in reverse and modified slightly to alter its appearance.  Try Googling half shell helmets and search under the images link.

Try this link for some samples:
http://www.bikerheadwear.com/helmets/dot_half_shell_motorcycle_helmet.htm

And as a recommendation to cut down on cost... check out garage sales, flea markets, swap meets and thrift shops before investing in a new helmet to mod.

I hope this helps

BSaphire

I would have to agree with Jidai Geki on that ^^) I too think you should look into motorcycle helmets. It reminds of Japanese helmets (**flashes of Godzilla movies) maybe even a European style helmet...  Thanks Jidai for helping ^^)

Squidge
B
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

G.I.R

Quote from: BSaphire on April 06, 2009, 11:34:10 PM
I would have to agree with Jidai Geki on that ^^) I too think you should look into motorcycle helmets. It reminds of Japanese helmets (**flashes of Godzilla movies) maybe even a European style helmet...  Thanks Jidai for helping ^^)

Squidge
B

I gotta agree.  The first thing I thought of when I saw the pictures was the animated Video for Aha's "Take on Me".  (the helmets thy motorcycle thugs are wearing).  Check here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkulTRQwywU&feature=related

Nina Star 9

Thank you, everyone!

I would have never thought of a motorcycle helmet because I have only seen the ones that cover part of the face as well, but the half-shell helmets seem like they will work well. I managed to find some on Ebay for pretty cheap, so I will probably be going with that.

On a related note, what kind of paint would be best? I was thinking about using that spraypaint for plastic surfaces, because the helmets I have been looking at are shiny plastic, but I am not sure how well that works. Any advice?

Jidai Geki

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 07, 2009, 11:57:06 AM
On a related note, what kind of paint would be best? I was thinking about using that spraypaint for plastic surfaces, because the helmets I have been looking at are shiny plastic, but I am not sure how well that works. Any advice?

Nina Star 9,

Looks like you're on the right track, and FanimeCon is just around the corner. 

Most Motorcycle helmets have that high-gloss "Plastic" look, but it's not plastic at all.  It has what is called a "Clear Coat" finish or a coating of paint that has no pigment or color in it.  like on cars, it gives the product that fresh new look.  The best recommendation I can give you is to consult the paint experts at a local paintshop or hardware store.  Tell them what you are painting and what kind of surface.  Also ask about what kind of preparations are needed, if any.  If you have painting skills, you're one step above me... (I've mess a few things up here & there...lol)  Since you get one shot at painting it right, you got to be in whole-hearted... No room for doubts.

As for the spray paints for plastic surfaces, they work really well and don't require a primer sub-coat.  Only once did it start to peel on a polished plastic surface.    For me, just to make sure it sticks, I usually take a pot scrubber and lightly rough the surface. 

IMPORTANT: REMEMBER TO TEST THE PAINT ON A SAMPLE PIECE BEFORE USING IT ON YOUR FINAL WORK.  Re-prepping a surface for painting is and always will be a pain.

Again, I hope this helps you... And I hope to see your finished work at Fanime...(^_^)

BSaphire

Quote from: Jidai Geki on April 07, 2009, 06:28:39 PM
Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 07, 2009, 11:57:06 AM

Nina Star 9,

Looks like you're on the right track, and FanimeCon is just around the corner. 

Most Motorcycle helmets have that high-gloss "Plastic" look, but it's not plastic at all.  It has what is called a "Clear Coat" finish or a coating of paint that has no pigment or color in it.  like on cars, it gives the product that fresh new look.  The best recommendation I can give you is to consult the paint experts at a local paintshop or hardware store.  Tell them what you are painting and what kind of surface.  Also ask about what kind of preparations are needed, if any.  If you have painting skills, you're one step above me... (I've mess a few things up here & there...lol)  Since you get one shot at painting it right, you got to be in whole-hearted... No room for doubts.

As for the spray paints for plastic surfaces, they work really well and don't require a primer sub-coat.  Only once did it start to peel on a polished plastic surface.    For me, just to make sure it sticks, I usually take a pot scrubber and lightly rough the surface. 

IMPORTANT: REMEMBER TO TEST THE PAINT ON A SAMPLE PIECE BEFORE USING IT ON YOUR FINAL WORK.  Re-prepping a surface for painting is and always will be a pain.

Again, I hope this helps you... And I hope to see your finished work at Fanime...(^_^)
I agree :P but I want to caution you before you paint:

Many plastics are soft and you can leave what will appear to be a deep scratch in your surface with some abrasive materials (however if you want an aged armor or worn leather look then these scratches would be beneficial.)

I would recommend using one of the following: #0000 steel wool (great for getting rust off of chrome) or super duper high grit sand paper (this should feel almost smooth to your fingers... if it feels like a cats tongue then it will be too rough.) If you do your own nails then compare your sand paper to the nail buffer texture. This texture will NOT be the smooth nail or polish & shine textures. You will just need to adjust it for the plastic surface you are working with.

I also want to recommend using the primer for two reasons: #1 will help fill in micro grooves from sanding and #2 will help paint to stay and not chip off (like how finger nail polish chips.) From the pictures you submitted I would say that this is a very smooth surface when complete.

I would recommend a low or no gloss white paint and use a semi gloss clear coat. A high gloss clear coat may cause to much reflection for pictures (however test your primer the paint then clear first on another similar plastic surface.)  I can not stress enough to do short bursts with your canned primer/paint/clear and make sure you are two to three feet away from the object. Your test surface will help you adjust your spray pattern for the real deal. :P

If you get this done for Fanime be sure and find me when you wear it :) I would love to see the end result!

Squidge
B
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

Nina Star 9

Thank you both for the tips. Much better than anything I found on Google (which mostly consisted of "get it custom painted because paint will weaken it and won't protect you!," which obviously isn't a concern of mine, unless it simply melts the helmet away or visibly damages it).

I have only ever spraypainted once, so I'll probably need plenty of practice beforehand. If I make any mistakes or drips, would they be very difficult to fix? I hope I don't mess up, but just in case.

I'll try to find you two at the con with my finished costume so I can show it off. <3

BSaphire

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 08, 2009, 08:45:06 AM
Thank you both for the tips. Much better than anything I found on Google (which mostly consisted of "get it custom painted because paint will weaken it and won't protect you!," which obviously isn't a concern of mine, unless it simply melts the helmet away or visibly damages it).

I have only ever spraypainted once, so I'll probably need plenty of practice beforehand. If I make any mistakes or drips, would they be very difficult to fix? I hope I don't mess up, but just in case.

I'll try to find you two at the con with my finished costume so I can show it off. <3
Check your paint/primer to make sure it will work with plastics (Ask the paint dealer at the paint store.... most Walmart employees will NOT know, but a paint store person would)

Practice is always helpful :) When you start on the real deal... GO SLOW! Don't rush and do this during the day when there is low moisture in the air. Don't paint on a super windy day. Make sure each coat of primer/paint/clear has 12 to 24 hours to dry & CURE. Dry is normally to the touch, but paint needs to CURE which is where the hardening of the primer/paint/clear takes place. It is just like nail polish... the more coats the softer the color is. If you take the time it will be hard and resist damage... stay looking fresh and shinny... make you happy :P

As for mistakes... try to catch them as soon as possible.

Last Recommendation: ALWAYS READ THE CANS! Make sure you get the same brand of each type of paint if possible. If you can't.... allow for extra time in the CURE stage.

Squidges
B
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC