General Convention Questions from a 15 year old girl

Started by Pockets, April 06, 2009, 05:45:13 PM

Pockets

I've read the FAQs, I'm posting this here because it contains a set of broad questions and I don't feel like spamming the boards with different threads for each question.

This will be my first time going to Fanime (not my first con, I've been to DunDraCon twice). I went to Burning Man last year, for the full week, little supervision, without my family, so I'm guessing I can deal with a bunch of cute lil nerds for a week. I'm not that into a lot of anime or Japanese stuff. Whatever. That doesn't matter. The only problem is my mom. I love her, but she worries. A lot.

I'm 15 and a girl.

I'd be staying with 4 to 8 other people, mostly adult men (friends of mine). We'd be splitting a room for $50/piece. I'd prereg. We'd be driving down Friday afternoon after they get off of work.

I have read the FAQs.

However.

1. What are the special rules concerning minors @ Fanime? Obviously, they still have to obey federal law (no drugs/sex/alcohol), can't go into the hentai rooms, etc. I have no interest in the Masquerade because my friends don't (watch me regret that later). But other than that, are there special rules concerning minors?

2. From http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,11015.0.html:
QuoteQ: I am under 18 and do not have a drivers license or passport
A: All Fanime members must have valid government issued ID. The only exception are those under 18 attending with a responsible guardian (of the parental caliber). The guardian must also be a Fanime member and have valid government issued ID. The guardian will be responsible for the minor and all his or her actions.

Could I have one of my friends (who is older than 18) be my guardian for the event?

3. Cosplay. Do most people wear their costume just once or wear it multiple times over the event?

I'd be going as Xion from Organization XIII from Kingdom Hearts, so I'd just be wearing black tight pants, black boots, black shirt, and the jacket (my mom bought one from Hot Topic <don't shoot me> for a Halloween party last year), and my uncle would be making the keyblade (out of alumnium using AutoCAD). I'd really just have to change pants/shirts/undergarments because the jacket would presumably remain clean.

What rough percentage of people cosplay? Will most people attempt to glomp me? Will a keyblade be allowed?

4. Money. How much should I bring? I don't plan on buying anything other than drinks/food, but spending money could be nice.

So far, estimate is around 200-300 dollars. Not including badge/room. I meant physical money on me, because I don't have a bank account!

5. Cell phone coverage. Is Verizon okay down there?

Been answered, apparently it is.

I don't have enough information to make this a question, but...

My mom's friend is an organizer or something, apparently. He's been going for years. I don't know his name IRL, because we knew him from a LARP (...it was a long time ago...). My mom would want me to check in with him everyday. Assuming he was just an average organizer, would it be hard to find him everyday to check in with him?

By the way, I know I have a condescending tone. Oh well. I'm just doing this because my friends insist I'll love it, and it gives me a chance to see them cosplay IRL and hopefully have fun.
I'm a half-Chinese/half-Scottish girl, cosplays somewhat, gamer, going to Fanime 2009 (maybe).

I hate:
Being glomped by sweaty strangers
Stereotypical otakus
Twilight
People obsessed with Asia (or anything) acting like they know more about it than

TC X0 Lt 0X

1.) As far as I know no. I am still underage (by 1 month at Con, go figure), and all that my mother did was pay for my Badge and drive me. The only restrictions I know of are the ones you listed.

2.) Don't know.

3.) Depends. I'm sure there are those that were 1 Cosplay all Con and those who were 1 once per day. There are those who were multiple ones per day.
I'd say 1/15 people Cosplay. But that is just a rough (very rough) assumption.

4.) Money? I say $200-$300. That should give you enough money for a room, Badge, food, etc.
There is a guide somewhere around here.

5.) My Sisters phone worked.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Pockets

Thanks! Yeah, I think I've got enough $$$ for Fanime. I'm guessing it'll be:

60 for pre reg
50 for roomsplit
50 for Saturday food
50 for Sunday food
And Monday, I think everyone's heading back because of work/school

Personally, #2 is the question my mom needs answered before I go

I'm a half-Chinese/half-Scottish girl, cosplays somewhat, gamer, going to Fanime 2009 (maybe).

I hate:
Stereotypical otakus
Twilight
People obsessed with Asia (or anything) acting like they know more about it than

PyronIkari

Quote from: Pockets on April 06, 2009, 05:45:13 PM
I'm 15 and a girl.

1. What are the special rules concerning minors @ Fanime? Obviously, they still have to obey federal law (no drugs/sex/alcohol), can't go into the hentai rooms, etc. I have no interest in the Masquerade because my friends don't (watch me regret that later). But other than that, are there special rules concerning minors?
None really. The only thing is bade pick up, that is covered int he FAQ

Quote2. From http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,11015.0.html:

Could I have one of my friends (who is older than 18) be my guardian for the event?

Legally, no. They are not allowed. YOU MIGHT be able to work out getting a signed note from your parents stating that they can be your guardian at the event, but only staff will be able to say if that's okay.

THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL AND IT IS NOT COMING FROM ME... Many people just say the over 18 friend is an uncle or something and reg really has no way of disproving it. Some people may allow it, some others may not. I don't advocate doing this.

Quote3. Cosplay. Do most people wear their costume just once or wear it multiple times over the event?

I'd be going as Xion from Organization XIII from Kingdom Hearts, so I'd just be wearing black tight pants, black boots, black shirt, and the jacket (my mom bought one from Hot Topic <don't shoot me> for a Halloween party last year), and my uncle would be making the keyblade (out of alumnium using AutoCAD). I'd really just have to change pants/shirts/undergarments because the jacket would presumably remain clean.

What rough percentage of people cosplay? Will most people attempt to glomp me? Will a keyblade be allowed?
Where your costume whenever you want. It may be hot remember, so an outfit likie that may be uncomfortable. YOu're free to wear it as often as you'd like though.

About 25% cosplay based on my estimation. Some people will attempt to glomp you unfortunately. Yes a keyblade is allowed, just get it checked in first. I think this will be at con-ops, correct me if i'm wrong.

Quote4. Money. How much should I bring? I don't plan on buying anything other than drinks/food, but spending money could be nice.
As much as you feel you'll need? Food generally costs 10-25 dollars a meal unless you want to walk a few blocks. Hotel is based on how many people you're with. General purchases are what you think they are? I generally don't spend money at fanime other than maybe one or so purchase. So I usually bring 400$ for hotel/food/that purchase, and barhopping(which is the majority of my money). You can get by with 200 easily including room. Just make sure you eat well, a lot of people forget to eat, and accidents happen.

Quote5. Cell phone coverage. Is Verizon okay down there?
You will get cel coverage ALMOST every where. Sometimes in video/panel rooms it'll disappear but it's not often. You'll be fine.

QuoteI don't have enough information to make this a question, but...

My mom's friend is an organizer or something, apparently. He's been going for years. I don't know his name IRL, because we knew him from a LARP (...it was a long time ago...). My mom would want me to check in with him everyday. Assuming he was just an average organizer, would it be hard to find him everyday to check in with him?

By the way, I know I have a condescending tone. Oh well. I'm just doing this because my friends insist I'll love it, and it gives me a chance to see them cosplay IRL and hopefully have fun.

Uh I don't understand what you're asking. It's kinda hard to find someone randomly, get his number and it won't be hard at all. The concourse itself isn't that big, and it's easy to find meeting spots, so if you guys can arrange meeting spots, it's not a problem.

M

Quote from: Pockets on April 06, 2009, 05:45:13 PM
Pretty much what you mentioned (18 and over rooms), but everyone has to obey federal laws (not just minors :P). Masquerade doesn't have an age requirement, so you're actually eligible to go.

Quote2. From http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,11015.0.html:
QuoteQ: I am under 18 and do not have a drivers license or passport
A: All Fanime members must have valid government issued ID. The only exception are those under 18 attending with a responsible guardian (of the parental caliber). The guardian must also be a Fanime member and have valid government issued ID. The guardian will be responsible for the minor and all his or her actions.

18 year old friends do not qualify as your guardian. For best results, email registration @ fanime.com and they can get you this answer.

Quote3. Cosplay. Do most people wear their costume just once or wear it multiple times over the event?

There actually are people that will cosplay one or more costumes per day. There aren't any rules as to how many costumes you cosplay over the course of FanimeCon. As for the percentage of people cosplaying, I have no idea and wouldn't even know what's a good number to estimate. :P

I'm hoping that most people are asking before glomping, but I don't know if everyone does ask before glomping. If this is an issue, you can get the attention to one of our trained patrolling staffers (Rovers or Safety On Site, I forget which name they have actually adopted :P) or even the roaming Police Officers we have. If worse comes to worse, just get their badge number and file a complaint with our Con-Ops staff.

As for the keyblade, I wouldn't comfortable answering this, but it will be covered in our Weapons Policy (currently not up as of this post).

Quote4. Money. How much should I bring? I don't plan on buying anything other than drinks/food, but spending money could be nice.

So far, estimate is around 200-300 dollars. Not including badge/room. I meant physical money on me, because I don't have a bank account!
Money depends on what you plan on purchasing. Since you aren't including your membership + hotel room in your figure, please remember that this would account for food, drinks, and dealer room purchases at the very least.

QuoteMy mom's friend is an organizer or something, apparently. He's been going for years. I don't know his name IRL, because we knew him from a LARP (...it was a long time ago...). My mom would want me to check in with him everyday. Assuming he was just an average organizer, would it be hard to find him everyday to check in with him?
Due to lack of information, I am unsure what you are referring to, so I'll answer all the possibilities.

If he's on staff: You could check in with him on the hours that he's working (provided that he's not on a staff that works behind the scenes or roams a lot.

If he's not on staff: You would have to find a way to contact him (cell phone number, pager?).

Other ways: Plan a meet up time for each day. FanimeCon is big so you can't expect to randomly bump into him.

QuoteBy the way, I know I have a condescending tone. Oh well. I'm just doing this because my friends insist I'll love it, and it gives me a chance to see them cosplay IRL and hopefully have fun.
It's always best to be safe and understand all the rules. :)
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Pockets

Okay, so I've gotten 2 conflicting answers. If my mom signed a note saying that it was okay that my friend takes me and acts as a guardian for the weekend, can I get into Fanime? I don't really wanna lie.

I hate:
Stereotypical otakus
Twilight

ewu

pyron = very knowledgeable about cons and a cool guy but != reg staff

milton = staff and reg staff(its complicated)
He says to e-mail reg and you can, but I might be the one answering your e-mail:)

What we are looking for in a guardian is a responsible adult. as in one responsible for you. This would be a parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, or sibling WAY over 18. someone that we would go to if there was an emergency or you did anything wrong. this is key as the school ID does NOT verify who you are. So we need someone to take responsibility for you that we have verified ID for registered as a member of Fanime.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Steve.Young

You check in your weapons with our Rovers staff (*ahem* Milton). Rover peace bonding stations will probably be at each info desk and Rover's base. Check the info desks before going to Rover base.
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

konataFTW

oooh... thanks fo posting this!!! I'm also a minor and going to be 14 on the 26th, and my parents might drop by to take pics of me and my group... and my group consists of 2 18+ adults <3 so I think I'm ok?
Fanime Cosplays 2010:
-Saku of dotHack
-Rin [default] of Vocaloids
-Rin [Magnet] of Vocaloids
-Sakura [jumpsuits] of TRC
-Sakura [uniform] of CCS
-Anise of Tales of Abyss

M

Quote from: Steve.Young on April 07, 2009, 11:38:04 AM
You check in your weapons with our Rovers staff (*ahem* Milton). Rover peace bonding stations will probably be at each info desk and Rover's base. Check the info desks before going to Rover base.
I knew you would be here. Besides, I can't ever keep up with your department's ever-changing names. :P

Quote from: konataFTW on April 07, 2009, 01:56:54 PM
oooh... thanks fo posting this!!! I'm also a minor and going to be 14 on the 26th, and my parents might drop by to take pics of me and my group... and my group consists of 2 18+ adults <3 so I think I'm ok?
As long as you are with responsible people (and hopefully people that your actual guardians; parents, etc.), you should be fine. I don't feel OK with being one to tell people who they can/can't/should/shouldn't go to FanimeCon as I don't know you all. The best bet would be to get your parent's blessing and/or have responsible family members with you. :)
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

ewu

Quote from: konataFTW on April 07, 2009, 01:56:54 PM

We are also asking your guardian to be registered as a fanime member. I am assuming these two 18+ people are not your guardians, correct?
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

konataFTW

@MPLe & ewu

of course!! my brother and his gf are coming... unfortunately they don't like saying their ages... they're soo... well bashful XD and they are already a fanime member since... like December!

But they are 18+ <3

edited: spelling sheesh >_<
Fanime Cosplays 2010:
-Saku of dotHack
-Rin [default] of Vocaloids
-Rin [Magnet] of Vocaloids
-Sakura [jumpsuits] of TRC
-Sakura [uniform] of CCS
-Anise of Tales of Abyss

Jail Bait

Hiya!

I can answer some of your questions.

1. You don't necessarily need to be 18 at con, I wasn't the last few years. ^_^ You need an adult after-hours outside of your hotel room, that's hotel & convention center policy.

2. For the ID at badge pick-up, you can always get your state ID early, it's not that hard. My first year I was allowed to use my (then) current school ID (don't know if this is policy, but quite a few of my underage friends did the same and were A-OK), then the following year I got a passport (for something else).

3. And for costumes; I wore the same costume everyday my first year but only for a few hours at a time. I would suggest choosing certain times you wear the costume, then keep common clothes around ^_^ Sweaty, gross clothes may ruin your time at fanime!

The percentage of cosplayers depend on the time of day, and which day of the event. I think peak hours are around noon on saturday (not official) when a good 60-70% were cosplaying and the rest took pictures.

Over-zealous glomping along with unwanted hugs are banned at fanime; anything that makes you feel uncomfortable can be reported to your friendly, neighborhood rover. ^_^

If your keyblade is not sharper than a breadknife, it is safety-tagged, and you don't roughhouse with it, you're ok to have it.

4. There's a separate thread for budgets. See http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,10753.0/topicseen.html for details. My first year, I survived on $60; was pretty hungry most of the weekend and had very little swag.

Relax and enjoy your fanime! ^__^ If there's a problem at con, talk to any staffer and they'll help you figure out a solution! ^_^