Dude, I'm not cosplaying. Don't take my picture.

Started by Mango Bunny, April 16, 2009, 09:26:21 PM

Mango Bunny

Okok, so I'm sure other girlies have the same problem... Moreso if you dress kinda weird. But every once in a while... Someone asks to take my picture, and it's always some dude. Now, it's not always certain that they're some weirdo, so I'd like to be polite... But HOW can I say "I'm not cosplaying, doof. Don't take my picture." nicely...? Because quite frankly, it's sort of weird.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Just smile and say 'no, sorry' in a kind fashion.
Wouldn't stop me though =P

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Runewitt

had some guy think i was cosplaying as L one time. dude, a white shirt and light blue pants doenst make someone L. step away. good way to tell them they cant take your picture, say you're in the WPP and cant let evidence of where you are leak out.
Brevity is the soul of Wit.
Confusion is the soul of Runewitt.

iNSOMNiAC

Pretty much exactly how you said it, minus the name-calling. "I'm not cosplaying, sorry", and walk away. If they persist after you've told them that much, let them know that you're clearly annoyed by it. If for some reason they still don't leave you alone, that's probably considered harassment enough to report them to ConOps.

BrightHeart76

Last year I dyed my hair BRIGHT pink.  Even in my street clothes a lot of people wanted to take pictures of my hair, one person even asked very nicely if they could touch it.  Some of the most fun I had at Fanime last year was people responding to my hair.

If you don't want your picture taken, just say no.  I usually wave my hand in a stop motion too, tends to help get thru to people if there's words and action saying not to do it.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Mango Bunny

Quote from: iNSOMNiAC on April 16, 2009, 10:30:14 PM
Pretty much exactly how you said it, minus the name-calling. "I'm not cosplaying, sorry", and walk away. If they persist after you've told them that much, let them know that you're clearly annoyed by it. If for some reason they still don't leave you alone, that's probably considered harassment enough to report them to ConOps.

Well, for example, I was just at Sakuracon in Seattle. I was standing around and some guy who looks like he's a dwarf from LotR walks up and asks for a picture. "Uhh, sorry. I'm not cosplaying." He just laughs and goes "Yeah but you're hot, so it's ok!" And takes my picture. I guess there's nothing to stop that sort of behavior unless I wanted to make a huge deal out of it, but still. It's uncomfortable. Generally that hasn't happened at fanime, but I'd still like to prevent it nicely. =/

SOawesomeness

If anything, people will understand if you just say "sorry, I don't want my picture taken." It's happened to/by me a few times, and it's totally understandable. (:

After all, they can't really badger you after you say no...
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

PyronIkari

Uh... they know you're not cosplaying, they want your picture because you're a girl... and they're pathetic.

raltga

tell them you believe cameras and other imaging systems are means by which people can steal your soul, and that you'd be happy to allow them to take your picture after you've taken their expensive camera to an undisclosed location to perform a plethora of rituals on it without their supervision, some of which may include using the camera as a toilet.

or just say, no, dude; I'm not cosplaying.  don't take my picture, please.

Jerry

its sorta both of a weird, and a compliment and yes theyre creepy doods who want to oogle at really cute girls.

hell, i used to do it and im glad i dont anymore. :P so on my behalf im sorry... but hey i mean well... but i cant speak for all them fanboy weirdos...

but seriously, just be kind and tell them no pictures of any kind please and keep moving

you'll blur their pictures if you keep in motion and they can get you into focus... well... unless they have a high speed lens on your their camera :P
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

narutofan17

It just seems like anything out of the everyday "norms" at is deemed interesting so you of course your going to attract attention to yourself. The only thing you can do is to just say no if you don't want it done. Although you can't stop the drive by photographers.
Tsunade! Where are you?!! I promise I don't bite.

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

Liquid

Quote from: Mango Bunny on April 16, 2009, 10:51:20 PM
Well, for example, I was just at Sakuracon in Seattle. I was standing around and some guy who looks like he's a dwarf from LotR walks up and asks for a picture. "Uhh, sorry. I'm not cosplaying." He just laughs and goes "Yeah but you're hot, so it's ok!" And takes my picture. I guess there's nothing to stop that sort of behavior unless I wanted to make a huge deal out of it, but still. It's uncomfortable. Generally that hasn't happened at fanime, but I'd still like to prevent it nicely. =/

Just don't look so hot. ;)
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: PyronIkari on April 17, 2009, 01:03:18 AM
Uh... they know you're not cosplaying, they want your picture because you're a girl... and they're pathetic.
Don't they have the internet for that?

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

narutofan17

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on April 17, 2009, 03:30:48 PM
They're probably thinking it's live and right in front of me. Let's go crazy. >.>

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: narutofan17 on April 17, 2009, 03:51:24 PM
They're probably thinking it's live and right in front of me. Let's go crazy. >.>
True.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Liquid

Dude #1: MAN! I saw this really hot girl at Fanime!
Dude #2: Pictures...or it didn't happen!
Dude #1: =(
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff

narutofan17

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on April 17, 2009, 03:55:24 PM
Quote from: narutofan17 on April 17, 2009, 03:51:24 PM
True.
I kinda have a creepy feeling that this conversation is going to switch over to glomping XD

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!

Liquid

Quote from: narutofan17 on April 17, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I kinda have a creepy feeling that this conversation is going to switch over to glomping XD

Glompacon 2009?
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: Liquid on April 17, 2009, 04:09:07 PM

Glompacon 2009?
Your going too =P?

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

narutofan17

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on April 17, 2009, 04:36:31 PM
Quote from: Liquid on April 17, 2009, 04:09:07 PM

Glompacon 2009?
Your going too =P?
I've never heard of it. Is it a con for glomping?

Fanime 2010 Costume:
Jiraiya
King Dedede
Kenpachi
Arlong
BLACK JIRAIYA!!!!!