Let's play Magic: the Gathering Momir Basic format at Fanime. Cheap, Fun, Easy!

Started by lying is an art form, April 20, 2009, 12:49:18 AM

lying is an art form

Momir Basic - THE Casual Magic: the Gathering Format
An Introduction

Hi guys. If you play Magic: the Gathering Online (MTGO, "MODO") you exactly know what Momir Basic is.

For everyone else, let me introduce you to the most fun casual Magic format there is. In fact, it doesn't even cost much to get into!

What is Momir Basic?
Momir Basic is a Vanguard format on Magic Online. What this means is that you and your opponent both use the "Momir Vig, Simic Visionary" Vanguard Avatar. A Vanguard Avatar on Magic Online gives you special rules for your game, and players can play with different avatars as they wish. Momir Basic just happens to be a very popular format where both players play with the same Momir Vig avatar plus a deck of nothing but sixty basic lands.

You start the game at 24 life (up from 20) and 7 cards in hand. The Momir Vig avatar gives you an ability you can play once per turn:

"{X}, Discard a card: Put a token into play as a copy of a random creature card with converted mana cost X. Play this ability only any time you could play a sorcery and only once each turn."

What this means is that you can pay X (any amount of mana you want) plus discard a card to have the game randomly select a creature card for you and you get to play it. You can do this once per turn, and only whenever you could play a Sorcery (which means only during your turn for the most part).

The standard rules of the game still apply, only in Momir Basic you're going to just be playing lands and using Momir Vig's ability to create creatures for you. The creatures you get are totally random, which means you could get something as great as Platinum Angel when you pay  7 for X or you could end up unlucky and get Phage the Untouchable (which means you automatically lose the game because of her ability when she comes into play).

Why is Momir Basic fun?
Easy: Because it only requires one thing to play on Magic Online, which is the Momir Vig avatar. At launch the avatar cost roughly seven dollars to purchase. These days, I think the total is about $20+ to play Momir Basic though I haven't actually checked myself.

If you have a Momir Vig avatar on Magic Online and sixty basic lands, you can play Momir Basic! It's that easy to pick up and go.

So why am I telling you this?
Because I'm making a physical version of Momir Basic. It was inspired by this post, though my version will look a bit different.

Here's an image of how my one-drops look like at the moment:

Essentially, everything is still the same from the online variant. Instead of having the game randomize a creature by throwing darts or something, we do it like this: You pay X, roll two six-sided die (one numbered, one with pips) and consult the guide for what creature you put into play. This gives a total of thirty-six possible creatures per converted mana cost. I've been tweaking the entire set over the last two months to make sure that the game isn't too broken or too boring, throwing in random whacky creatures along with powerful and weak ones as well. There will be blank laminated cards and a sharpie to write down your current creature which can be wiped off.

Even if you don't play Magic: the Gathering, all you need to play Momir Basic is just the playset I'm creating and you're all good to go! It's totally accessible to all players from all card games. I'll be demo-ing the product at Tabletop Gaming and also at the Swap Meet.

I'm almost done designing the entire thing, I just need to find a good place to print it out and everything. Once it's done, I'll see how many copies I can make (I'm laminating all the pages and such) and will bring a few extra ones to Fanime to sell/trade off at the Swap Meet. If you are interested in one, please PM me to reserve a copy. I do not currently have a price set for these, but it will definitely at least cover the cost of materials (paper, ink, laminating, binders, dice, marker, etc.). You're also welcome to trade Magic: the Gathering cards towards these.

Again, please PM me if you want to acquire a set of these. If I'm able to produce a good amount of them, I'll be bringing no more than perhaps ten of them unless I know for sure that a lot more people want some :)

Thanks for looking!
Do you like Magic: the Gathering or just fun games in general? I'm offering a fun way to play Magic right here! I'm bringing these to Fanime 2009 :) PM me to secure one!

Magical Senpai

azor12

This sounds full of win!! ;D I would like to acquire one as well, either cash or cards.

lying is an art form

We'll be demo-ing this LOTS all throughout the weekend :) I will, outside of "reserved" copies, have roughly five or more if random people are interested. Please contact me if you want me to save you one. Contact methods:

I check all of these on a more-than-daily basis.
Twitter - @rkho (please send direct message)
Email - [email protected] (please put MOMIR BASIC in the subject line)

Thanks!
Do you like Magic: the Gathering or just fun games in general? I'm offering a fun way to play Magic right here! I'm bringing these to Fanime 2009 :) PM me to secure one!