Is Fanime in danger of getting cancelled this year? (Swine Flu)

Started by Mister_E, April 26, 2009, 11:30:00 PM

Mister_E

With the Swine flu scare getting major events with large crowds cancelled in and near Mexico and some  and Fanime being under a month away, is Fanime at risk of getting shut down this year or am I worrying over nothing?
A.K.A. "Mr. Zeon Flag" Laughing Man MK. VI: with Power Ranger Gloves, Mustache and Zeon Flag in hand is 100%

TC X0 Lt 0X

I wouldn't think so.
It's possible though, just unlikely.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

neko ewen

Checking the CDC site's page on Swine Flu, it sounds like swine flu just isn't that serious of a matter as of yet. There have been 7 confirmed cases in California, and 40 total for the entire U.S. And even then, the symptoms are apparently not particularly different from influenza. While it's good that people are taking it seriously and keeping it contained, it sounds the situation would have to get 10 or 100 times worse for there to be any remote chance of Fanime being affected.
Yaruki Zero Games | Ask me about Maid RPG
"I dream heavy metal but I live whiny punk rock."

ewu

As a note, Mexico City has banned all large gatherings. To date, Fanime has yet to consider any action. Of course, if any local or federal directives mandate such events be canceled, then Fanime will be forced to comply.

If you are seriously concerned, then please continue to check our website for any updates regarding this.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

elley

I agree that this is a valid concern. I had not realized that California had 7 confirmed cases.

However, reports have been shown that in areas besides Mexico, the effects of swine flu are milder. There have been no reasons as to why it is this way announced yet as far as I know.

Anyways, as with many contagious illness, just keep in mind of the precautions. Keep healthy habits, drink lots of fluids to stay hydrated, and don't touch your face so much. Taking extra vitamins won't hurt either. I will be bringing Emergen-C packets with me to take either one or twice a day at Fanime. Although, keep in mind these precautions are a good idea to start practicing in your everyday lives regardless.

Yuu

I have read that no one who has caugth it in the US. has died. As its carried form person to person it should grow even weaker so Im not concerned.

As for Fanime though..I usppose its a posisblity.

" Your aren't taking sides if you spread out violence evenly"

Liquid

Fanime will go on. Everyone might just have to cosplay as a surgeon....
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

G.I.R

Also note that the flu is mostly in Mexico City, not widely spread.  I think that the warnings are mostly to keep it from getting spread (I.E.  Was your hands thuraly, sty home if you're sick etc).  It's the same kind of advice you should follow during Flu season anyway.

PyronIkari

Quote from: Yuu on April 27, 2009, 12:46:19 PM
I have read that no one who has caugth it in the US. has died. As its carried form person to person it should grow even weaker so Im not concerned.

As for Fanime though..I usppose its a posisblity.

This is perhaps the stupidest thing I have ever heard. So by your logic... Aids, Cancer, everything is getting weaker. All the doctors and scientists are wrong and that things like the black plague never existed.

Viruses evolve and grow STRONGER as they infect more people. That's why things like vaccinations and what not are so important. Much like humans, viruses grow more resistant to antibodies. When a virus is so powerful that it can kill people, and the body itself isn't strong enough to defeat the virus on its own, that's a major issue. These are diseases like AIDS. In case you haven't paid attention, aids hasn't gotten any weaker in the past 3 decades at all. However if the body is capable of defeating it, the virus usually evolves and grows stronger.

This is why people catch the flu almost every year. You get infected, your body defeats it, This happens all over the world. Yet next year, a lot of people catch the flu again. How is this possible? The body already knows the virus and is capable of creating antibodies to kill it. The flu changes slightly every year, enough to where the body cannot recognize it exactly, making the antibodies needed to be slightly different.

Viruses grow STRONGER as it spreads, not weaker.

cortana

Today I agree entirely with PyronIkari (damn you and your many names, mikey!). He is 100% correct. Do not disregard cautions from your health departments. This is a virulent and dangerous virus, with the potential to be very bad, if it gets into major population centers in the US.

The last major flu pandemic was only in 1968. That one, the Hong Kong Flu, killed about a million people worldwide. It's even the same type of flu as the Spanish Flu of 1918, also an H1N1 strain. That one killed 20-100 million people worldwide, including a third of Europe.

Just be smart about what you do and you should have little to worry about. Wash your hands more often, stay away from people who seem ill.

ewu

This conversation is better served somewhere else. Continue checking our website for information, if any.

Thread locked
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom