Do they have metal detectors or make you empty your pockets at Fanime?

Started by dfens, April 27, 2009, 12:13:29 AM

dfens

Ok here is a weird one.

I usually carry a small folding pocket knife where ever I go it's my EDC to open boxes, packages, or in a pinch what ever you need to be cut open, which is perfectly legal as long as it's concealed and in the closed position. Some places like the court house, schools, etc. is flat out not legal so it's not in my pocket in those cases.

Now at the convention am I going to go through a metal detector or some sort of search like at a theme park or night club?

I don't plan on whipping it out and scaring a bunch of people you won't even know I have it, but if it's not allowed I'll leave it in my car. Rather do that than have it confiscated and given a receipt to pick it up latter after the con.

SOawesomeness

Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

PyronIkari

Quote from: Chiri Kcrinh on April 27, 2009, 12:33:28 AM
Definitely leave in your car.

@Jerry's post for reference.

Regardless of if it's a prop or not.

Uhm, the fact that it's not a prop is kinda important. The knife is legal, there's no reason he should be forced to keep it in his car. I know plenty of people that carry knives for self-protection, and if they were told that they couldn't carry their knives(incorrectly at that) it would cause them to really think about not going(and I know some that wouldn't go straight out).

As far as I know, the convention grounds has the same weapons policy as the rest of the city. The prop issue is what it is, because they are not legal weapons. A sword etc. is not legal to carry around, sheated or not. A pocket knife is completely legal to carry around and is not a no-weapons gov't facility. You can ask head of rovers to be sure though.

He'll probably say he doesn't want you to carry it around, but that you are completely able to.

There's no search/metal detector for the majority of the con. I'm not sure if there is for music fest or what not.

SOawesomeness

Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

Junon

I've been attending FanimeCon since the very beginning. I've walked around with and without (what may be considered weapons). I've never been searched or stopped for any reason.

M

Also note that Jerry's post is in regards to weapons when used as props (i.e. it's most likely going to be out in the open and visible to everyone).

Pepper Spray and items that are legal to carry will still be OKAY to carry around the convention center. Obviously the laws still apply to those items (so no waving your small knife around!). ;)
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

G.I.R

I can just see it now...

Having $1.73 in loose change peace-bonded.

Guise

Quote from: G.I.R on May 01, 2009, 12:50:12 AM
I can just see it now...

Having $1.73 in loose change peace-bonded.

Well, you could have someones eye out with that...but then, don't the peace-bonds usually poke out a bit too.  ;)

Jidai Geki

Quote from: PyronIkari on April 27, 2009, 12:39:55 AM

Uhm, the fact that it's not a prop is kinda important. The knife is legal, there's no reason he should be forced to keep it in his car. I know plenty of people that carry knives for self-protection, and if they were told that they couldn't carry their knives(incorrectly at that) it would cause them to really think about not going(and I know some that wouldn't go straight out).

As far as I know, the convention grounds has the same weapons policy as the rest of the city. The prop issue is what it is, because they are not legal weapons. A sword etc. is not legal to carry around, sheated or not. A pocket knife is completely legal to carry around and is not a no-weapons gov't facility. You can ask head of rovers to be sure though.

He'll probably say he doesn't want you to carry it around, but that you are completely able to.

There's no search/metal detector for the majority of the con. I'm not sure if there is for music fest or what not.

First off, I know that FanimeCon sell memberships to their event which makes it a private event.  Event attendees are bound by event policies by purchasing tickets/memberships.  FanimeCon can establish any rule/policy in regards to attendee safety/security during their private event.  The San Jose Convention Center only rents space and has only a few event requirements.  Fanime must carry a 1 Million dollar, or more, liability insurance policy on their event to cover any potential screwups.  If what you are carrying is a small utility knife, 1 1/2" blade or smaller, wouldn't bother me any... But if you're carrying a 4 1/2" lock back, then I'd be weary of taking it into the con. 

Secondly, I used to perform Iaito and I carried my swords (27" and 16.5" carbon steel blades) onto VTA, VTA Lightrail and sometime walking through downtown.  On many occasions even enter stores and downtown eateries.  San Jose only enforces Cal. Penal codes  You're refering to Cal-pen section 417.  http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cacodes/pen/403-420.1.html   In the 6-years I did the sport, I had NEVER been stopped by SJPD.  Many occasions PD/Sheriff units passed by me as I was carrying them to practice.

Team Lift XMA

I was going to say the same thing. Under California Law, swords fall under the "dirks and Daggers" section.  It's only Illegal to carry it in California if you conceal it.  Considering the one I wanted to bring to con as a prop is 5'8", I don't think I'll be able to conceal it.

Check the codes themselves if you like.
Penal Code sections 653k, 12020

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12020.php

or

http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12020.html

As such, To carry a sword is perfectly legal. You can have it in your belt, or hold it by the saya (scabbard), You can carry it in a sword bag as well. as long as it's being carried strapped to you by a belt or on your back, visible from three sides(check California's concealment laws) it is legal.  The moment your hand touches the handle, though, you've crossed over into Assault with a deadly weapon.

Look that up as well. Assault is actually the verbal or non verbal threat, while the action of actually shooting or striking the individual is Battery.