The Swine Flu: The Next Big Outbreak?

Started by heeroyuy135, April 28, 2009, 12:10:56 AM

Gekido 87

Quote from: BumbleB on May 03, 2009, 12:43:37 AM
Quote from: Kaura117 on May 03, 2009, 12:41:00 AM
If I hear one more time about people refusing to eat pork because of swine flu...

*muttergrumble*
I know, that's the stupidest thing I have ever heard!

I know! Damn, I work/own a restaurant and I hear this guy complaining about there might be swine flu in the BBQ. I went up to guy and told him to get his facts straight, I also added if there were I wouldn't be standing here right now telling you this. His face was priceless! He just apologize and went back to eating. Last thing I said to him "Thank you, Come Again."
I'm in Despair!

michiko nakano

Kuromi_Kat

Quote from: michiko nakano on October 27, 2009, 01:52:00 PM
I had swine flu... it sucked...

see, I dont think it's as bad as it seems. I mean from what I hear it is like the normal flu. Just a different strain, a little more aggressive. The fact that people die from them are tragic yes. People die from the flu normally, I think the best thing to do, is get vaccinated and keep themselves sanitary.
Aside from that, there really is nothing we can do.

What are the age groups this flu is affecting? I keep hearing different stories >.< I would like to know if I am actually in the age group that should be worried hahahaha

michiko nakano

Quote from: Kuromi_Kat on November 08, 2009, 08:33:43 PM

see, I dont think it's as bad as it seems. I mean from what I hear it is like the normal flu. Just a different strain, a little more aggressive. The fact that people die from them are tragic yes. People die from the flu normally, I think the best thing to do, is get vaccinated and keep themselves sanitary.

What are the age groups this flu is affecting? I keep hearing different stories >.< I would like to know if I am actually in the age group that should be worried hahahaha
*voice of doom*
you're totally in the age group

Kuromi_Kat

Quote from: michiko nakano on November 08, 2009, 08:53:02 PM
Quote from: Kuromi_Kat on November 08, 2009, 08:33:43 PM

*voice of doom*
you're totally in the age group

even being 19 yearsold? O.O
I hear that it affects only certain age groups >.<

michiko nakano

eh, might as well just get vaccinated. It's ten bucks and you get a free bandaid.

michiko nakano

edit: some places do it for free, i think.

Kuromi_Kat

Quote from: michiko nakano on November 11, 2009, 10:33:07 PM
eh, might as well just get vaccinated. It's ten bucks and you get a free bandaid.

they said I didnt qualify T^T.

BUT that was when they had limited ammounts, so it cant hurt to go try again? XP they got more of it. hahaha. I mean I would rather be safe than sorry >.<. ten bucks? I thought it was more than that XD

I really do feel bad for the people that get it XP

michiko nakano

yeah i think it depends where you go, what the price is.

Liquid

I keep hearing it's most aggressive on young adults.
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

michiko nakano

*cough* your mom's most aggressive on young adults...

david

I know it affects people from 20-30 because some players on a soccer team I follow got it a few days ago.  And apparently someone in my niece's class got it.

But is it even a big deal anymore?  I mean, we have a vaccine now.  Every time someone gets it nowadays, they get the vaccine and take a couple days of rest, and boom, they're fine. 

PyronIkari

Quote from: david on November 25, 2009, 10:22:42 AM
I know it affects people from 20-30 because some players on a soccer team I follow got it a few days ago.  And apparently someone in my niece's class got it.

But is it even a big deal anymore?  I mean, we have a vaccine now.  Every time someone gets it nowadays, they get the vaccine and take a couple days of rest, and boom, they're fine. 

Uhm... You don't seem to know how vaccines work. Vaccines do not help someone get over the influenze. Vaccines are weaker forms of the virus that are injected PRIOR to getting the virus. This causes the body to create antibodies against the weakened form of the virus, so when/if the body gets infected with the full fledged form of the virus, antibodies are created more easily, causing the virus not to really take affect. That's why when you get flu shots, you tend to get sick for a short time after.

Is it a big deal? Yes... it is. Is it a big deal like how people are acting like it is? No, it's not. The reason why this flu is of concern is because it works SIMILARLY to the aids virus. In that, it cuases the problems with the bodies immune system which is hat causes death. The biggest risk are those with healthy immune systems in there 20's. Why? Because that is generally when the body is the healthiest.

How the H1N1 works is that it overloads the immune system causing it to overwork itself without actually doing anything. So the immune system overloads, and your body dies from getting a different infection/illness due to not being able to heal it.

Thought more people die from the regular flu strains every year, this one targets "healthy" people and kills them. That's why there was such a panic.

Seriously... I wish you people would atleast know what the hell you're talking about before you reply to threads in this section of the forum. This section isn't really about "opinions" more than it is about information and informed thought.

G.I.R

Quote from: david on November 25, 2009, 10:22:42 AM

You need to read up on how dangerous a Flu epidemic can be:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic

lunarknight

As long as people are careful they'll be fine. For the virus isn't exactly contagious to the point where it is an epidemic. Also for the most part people above the age of 25 are safe from it while everyone else below better take safety precautions.