Fanime/school research project!

Started by kgHapa, April 28, 2009, 09:03:19 PM

kgHapa

Hey everybody! So, as fanime gets closer and closer each day I had the inspiration to use it as a focus point for my thesis/research project for my senior seminar at UCSC (I'm graduating in June...assuming I dont screw up haha) Anyway the central focus point of my seminar is sound in culture, this can be anything from language, verbal exchanges, music, noise, lingo, etc. and I wanted to know if you guys had any good ideas or strong points regarding sound/music/noise/language at fanime and in the general otaku/japanophile subculture. Like I said this can be anything sound related, even just the use of verbal/non verbal language, the music at the dance, or subbing vs. dubbing.
Thanks in advance! ;D

BrightHeart76

The first thing to come to mind when I think about language is the word "Otaku" and the entire battle around it's use and misuse. 

However, for sound my favorite thing to do is listen to audience reactions.  Things like Masquerade, the showings for the AMV contest, Stage Zero have some really interesting audience responses.  Loud ones too, lol.  I'm sure there's some interesting sounds in the hentai rooms too..but I don't wanna know about those.   :P
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

JTchinoy

There's also the rampant verbal use of "lawl" and "zomg".  Don't forget anime opening songs as the trademark music of the fanime goers.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Sunara Ishi

You could cover how the fandom influences spending... how people behave in the dealer's room, swap meet, artist alley, arcade, etc. Reactions to and interactions relating to cosplay. Words used, body language, etc. Sounds in each of those places are different and lingo can be different when it comes to games. And I know the language fans use while excited is rather different than normal speech; I know I am guilty. >.>;

It sounds like musicfest might try to use the "Call" system so that might be good also.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula

kgHapa

these are all great ideas, thanks everybody! I'll definitely give them some thought. Haha I might even consider doing interviews or such so if you guys have free time during the week and don't mind me harassing you, let me know ;D

kgHapa

So, though I plan to ask around at fanime would anybody be willing to meet up in person or chat on the phone/aim for an interview?  ;D