The Art of the Masquerade Panel

Started by Kiara, April 28, 2009, 11:20:45 PM

Kiara

Name: The Art of the Masquerade
Time: Friday, 6pm-7pm

*Be aware that I'm not sure if this time/place is finalized. It may change. If it does, I'll let you know. I have no idea what goes on in the minds of the panel Gods.*

I'll be talking about how to make a successful masquerade skit. Is music a good idea? The ups and downs of pre-recording? Little ways to make your skit so much more impressive? I've got it all. I'll also talk about what NOT to do at masquerades. And of course, I'll spend some time talking about how to come up with a skit in 30 minutes. I tend to be good at that, so hopefully I can show some other people the tricks of the trade. I'll also talk about different types of awards, and what your skit should contain based on which award you're aiming for. Not everyone can grab the Best in Show spot, but with a few tips, anyone can snatch up a lower prize. There will be a question and answer period at the end too.

Anyone have any questions/comments/suggestions? If you plan on going, post here so I have a small idea of how many people I should expect.

Thanks everyone!
-Kiara

Cosplayer/Photographer in the East Bay.

Gadget

Ambitious! I finally made it to the boards and have been reading about panels. I cannot help but notice you are so ambitious about cosplay. That is very refreshing since some of my fellow cosplayers are beginners and these panels could be of use. My questions about this particular panel may be a little different since there are so many levels of cosplayers:
1.) Is the panel about how to win or how to be successful in cosplay in a performance? Within a group? Alone? with your costume? Your props? With judges?
2.) How genuine is the information? Is the panel created by a database of fact? Is it based on opinion?
3.) What credentials, experience and qualifications do the panelists have to obtain the stable ability to convey accurate and balanced instruction?

Kiara

I'll do my best to answer your questions!
1. This panel will cover it all. I'll talk both about how to make a skit that has a higher chance of winning, or a skit that's made not to reahc for the top prize, but just to entertain the audience. I'll spend some time talking about performing in both groups and alone. When it comes to costumes and props, I'll cover a little on the topic, but this panel is based more on the presentation/skit aspect.
2. This panel will have both fact and opinion, and I will be sure to state which is which during my panel. I've looked at many convention skits both in person and on YouTube, and noted what the winners did, and what skits had the biggest audience reaction, and other things of that nature. But yes, there will be opinion too, but I suppose you could say it's opinion based on observation.
3. This will be my first time giving a panel, and I've never been a judge so I suppose my qualifications aren't incredible, however I've been to over ten masqurades (And participtaed in most of them), and watched over 300 skits both at conventions and online. I've spoken with a few judges form different events as well, and I'll try to get some comments from a few more before Fanime.

Gadget

Great, thanks for the reply! That was very fast, you must be really on top of your game. You must have watched alot of Youtube. Will you have any of the masquerade winners at your panel? Have you ever won Best Performance or Best in Show? I am a vetran of Masquerades myself since 1999. What Masquerades, how many have you participated in? Any big official ones like AX, Comic-con or Fanime? Will you be covering those?

Kiara

Ah, you sure have lots of questions. I feel all intimidated now, lol. I try to check the forums as often as possible, and reply asap. I was at school, so that's why I'm only getting back to you now. Yeah, lots and lots of youtube. but if you think about it, 10 conventions and about 20 skits per convention is already 200. I attend a lot of smaller cons, and I youtube masquerades from large conventions all around the world, including the Cosplay World Summit. 1999? Wow! You're definitely more qualified than me to talk about this stuff then! I'm 18, and I've been cosplaying/attending conventions since 2006, so not too long, though I've youtubed skits from earlier than 2000. I plan on watching a whole lot more while deciding what important stuff to talk about during my panel. I don't think I'll have any masquerade winners presenting stuff at my panel because it's only an hour long. Since this is my first time giving the panel, it'll be really low key. If it gets a good response, maybe I'll try for a two hour panel with some masquerade winners giving their opinions, maybe even some judges if I can find any who'd like to talk about judging experiences. As for masquerades I've been in, I've participated in ever Sac-Anime masquerade since 2006, some AOD masquerades, JTAF, and smaller events such as Japan Town festivals and Cosplay Gatherings. I have to admit I don't always perform in the bets of skits, but my ideas are endless, as are my observations. I have won an Honorable Mention Best Presentation at Sac-Anime my very first time at the con, and a Best Presentation award with my current cosplay group. Fanime will actually be the first large scale convention I attend, but I like coming into things with a bang, thus the panels. I'll also be performing in this year's masquerade. Any more questions? I'm having fun answering them! Though I'm starting to feel so unworthy of this panel, lol.

macaulayman

Your panel sounds fun, I hope I get to see it.

Kiara

I hope so too! It'll be lots of fun. ^_^