Was this guide helpful to you?

EXTREMELY! Thank you!
Yes, very helpful.
Eh, it was alright.
Not very.
This was stupid!

SukebeStudios

A GUIDE TO A GOOD FANIME STAY

Well, last year went fairly well for me and my friends, especially on the food end. Here's my plan this year. NOTE, I'm getting help this year and a birthday present from the FPU (Female Parental Unit), seeing as Fanime is only 1 week before my birthday, (June 1st btw...I'm thinking of inviting people to out hotel room for a little mini-party) And this is more of a "What I'd do if I were you" guide.

Oh yes, I should mention that most of this would only work if you're staying in a hotel room.

FOOD

I was lucky enough to be a frequent visitor to Dave & Busters in Milpitas, CA, and saved up enough prize tickets to win a Rice Cooker. This turned out as a real godsend for me at Fanime, DEEPLY cutting down on the food budget, making dining out a luxury and a treat instead of a requirement. We would splurge at night and order a pizza from Round Table. Buying one meal a day is pretty good. If you get the chance, I HIGHLY recommend buying one. Then we buy a big sack of rice to last us the duration of the con, possibly more than one sack (just in case), and multiple bottles of soy sauce, or 1-2 big jugs of it. And if you plan on food as being not so high on your priority list, this is DEFINATELY the best way to go. BUT! Make sure you bring measuring cups and a cup or scooper for your rice. You can also use the water from the tap in your hotel bathroom. The water will boil in your rice cooker, and remove most if not all of any possible "funny" aftertaste for those that are really picky. Another recommendation for this is to bring your OWN flatware. This is mainly to avoid inconveniencing Room Service and asking them just to bring up a bunch of forks and spoons to your room, as well as bowls. BUY A LOT OF BOWLS! I recommend Target, and buy a lot of those disposable paper bowls, and plastic utensils while you're at it. It will cut down on tableware that needs to be washed. Another good thing about bringing your own forks, spoons, and bowls...you don't need to worry about the cleaning lady taking them away so you have to call to have more brought up. This is of course, assuming that they can get in at the right time when you're away and not sleeping, partying, gaming, or watching more anime.

All in all...I'm planning to pitch in about $25-$50 for a Food Fund at our hotel room. Just in case we wanna order another pizza, or go out to eat.

FINANCES

This year, my tax refund check was worth $300. All that went straight to my Fanime Fund Money, where I would not touch it, only add to it. Considering I have 1-2 more pay periods, I plan to add $100-$300 more to it, bringing the total up to about $400-$600. I don't plan on going to anything on Thursday, I'm budgeting for Fri-Monday. I'm planning to divide the money up evenly and spend about $100 a day, leaving me some possible elbow room if I plan to make a BIG purchase in the Dealer's Room, or something REALLY nice in Artist's Alley, such as a commissioned art piece.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
And as far as putting in for MY share of the hotel room, for my birthday, my FPU (Female Parental Unit) has graciously offered to pay $200 towards my part of the hotel room. That's the only reason I'm not taking the hotel room finances into account here.

HOTEL

This one should be short and easy. Depending on the size of the room you're getting, (we're staying at the Marriot right AT the con) however many nights you plan to stay, my recommendation is to get minimum, one person for every day. If you're staying from Thurs-Monday, then get at least 3 other people so there's 4 of you. Then each of you pays for one night's stay. And if someone wants to add INTERNET ACCESS, then THEY have to pony up the extra dough! (It's a good idea to get it though, that way you can look up titles listed in the Video Room schedule to see if you'd be interested in seeing it). Now I only say MINIMUM, because if you get more people to crash and chip in...then the cost is divided further, so less each person has to pay. Of course, the Hotel will only allow so many people to the room OFFICIALLY. So keep in mind, you're only going to get a certain amount of room keys. If you don't have one, then you're just going to have to hope someone is in the hotel room, or you're buddy-ing up with a roommate. As far as sleeping arrangements, I recommend double beds instead of one large bed. A large bed SOUNDS like a good idea, but here's why I advise AGAINST it. My friend who's putting the money on his card...is nice almost to a fault. If he meets someone that desperately needs a place to sleep, he'll let them crash for one night...then the next...and so on. I don't mind, I like making new friends.

But I digress...

Let's say you get a...somewhat larger sized room with two beds. If you don't mind being mildly cramped, you can fit at least, 8 people. 2 on each bed, 1 in between the beds, 1 possibly in that space between the bed and the wall with the window, 1 at the foot of one bed (at both beds it's stretching it, because there HAS to be a way to get up for the bathroom), and for someone wanting to be by themselves, 1 person can sleep in the closet, as long as you take your suitcases and/or travel bags out first.

Seriously, no joke...the closet. One night two years ago, I went to sleep when nobody else was there. I woke up...and there was a Ranma-chan cosplayer sleeping under the desk, and I could see a pair of feet belonging to someone sleeping in the closet. Both girls...so color me AWKWARD PINK!

HOTEL ROOM GAMING

Now this issue has been subject to many questions (including one thread on this board as far as I know). Are the TVs able to be plugged into for gaming? I'm not sure currently, or about the Hilton, having never stayed there. But we were able to hook up my Playstation 3 to the flat screen TV they had. Although this was after much confusion, and having to ask the Marriott to send up a handyman to help us out.

HERE WAS THE END RESULT!

We were able to get connectivity, but only by using the component cables (YRB). Even though the TVs had an HDMI input jack, we were unable to figure out how to use it, and I believe the handyman told us we were unable to use it because of the way the hotel had it set up. It might take some playing around with...but it CAN be done. Although, if you want to avoid the hassle...and are a complete jackass...you can bring your own flat screen from home. I HIGHLY advise against this, even IF you have a lot of protection for transporting it. There are so many variables that can happen to damage the TV from your home all the way to your hotel room. Think about it...

Room in your house--->Vehicle--->Hotel (trolly maybe)--->Hotel Room--->TV stand

And this is assuming that the room you're staying at has ROOM to put the TV in! So unless you're bring a normal boxy tube TV, leave it at home. The hotel won't pay for it even if their bellhops accidentally let it fall from the trolley.

Ok...now that all THAT is out of the way...I can recommend stuff to do while at Fanime.

WHAT TO DO

As I said before, chip in for the High Speed Internet access to your hotel room. I'm doing it this year. That way I'll be able to gather information on what's going to be shown in the Video Rooms. Otherwise, I'm limited to watching what I've already seen, parodies, or being lucky enough to have something catch my eye as I'm walking past an open door. But don't spend ALL your time in video rooms. Myself, I only spend a limited amount of time there.

Probably one of the main reasons I come to Fanime is to shop. be honest...that's what most of us like to do. As for what to buy...here's my RULE OF THUMB. If you see something you REALLY want and fall in love with at first sight...and you have the money to get it...BUY IT. Treat yourself to something nice if it doesn't put you over budget. But I'd try to limit that practice to things like figurines, clothing, weapons...mainly import stuff. Probably the only thing I wouldn't practice that with is DVDs. You can buy anime anytime online, so what I'd advise is to hold off on buying anime till maybe last 2 days of the con. But then again...it's a suggestion. You might find something you haven't seen in years.

Also, visit Artist's Alley! You will find some unbelievable treasures here. There are so many awesome artists that come to Fanime every year to display and show off their work. And it's not all just pictures and drawings. A lot of them sell their published mangas, or little knick-knacks with their art on it. And if you HAPPEN to have money to burn, you might find an artist there that does commissions. If you pay them enough, they might finish it before the con is over too!

Cosplaying is probably one of the biggest parts of Fanime. everywhere you go you're going to see cosplayers, hell, you might even be one yourself! Bring a camera, preferably a digital so you can take many pictures. A side note...Some of the Guests of Honor may be seen walking the floor outside of their Panels, but these tend to be the REAL geeks. You may want to bring a sharpie pen just in case you get a chance to ask for their autograph.

BRING A COMPUTER...but leave it in your hotel room. Yes there is free internet access in the hallways...but why do you want to lug your laptop around wherever you go?

WHO TO SEE

This is the section where I "advertise" for people I like.

A gaming store near my house, Play N' Trade, will be manning a booth in the Dealer's Room. I go there mainly because they have so many retro games in their store from PS2 and XBOX, all the way to NES and Sega Genesis. The ones I met at the store are ULTIMATE geeks and one in particular loves to talk shop and knows MASSIVE knowledge about old school gaming. Check them out, and give'm a holla!

David Wong...the man...the myth...the legend. I met this guy at the very FIRST Fanime that I attended in 2001. My dad found an article in the paper about Fanime and asked if I wanted to check it out. I went for a day, and was amazed. I went to Artist's Alley (which at the time was in a hallway, so the name was appropriate. I saw David Wong's stuff and was fascinated. Ever since then I had to visit his booth every year, and every year I leave with more than one piece that he's done. And hell, he doesn't mind chatting it up with you if he's got the time. This guy is a total class act, he can talk vulgar and obscene, and has a heart of gold. He's funny as hell, and is about guaranteed to make you laugh. He also does great commissions, and is almost always willing to negotiate the price. I overheard him say once to a customer, "If we sign a contract saying you have to bring a doughnut to my house every morning for two weeks, then that's what the price will be." And just like the sign at his booth says..."Will draw anything...YES, EVEN THAT!"

Well, that about covers everything I can think of now. If you have any questions or things to add, post! Please post! I want to hear your reactions. Anyways...so long, and SEE YOU AT FANIMECON 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

abcbadcat

Pretty comprehensive guide you got here

:D

kuroi

Very, very much second the "only having to splurge and eat out for one meal a day really saves your ass" sentiment. To add onto the "save money for food by bringing outside food" thing, most grocery stores sell cheap packs of instant noodles. I know this is most definitely not a healthy choice (rice is much better, but alas, not everyone is lucky enough to be blessed at Dave and Busters' games to get tickets or have a rice cooker that is younger than their mother is), but it is a very cheap one. Especially as said large packs are usually 12 cups for under $5. Flats of water are also an excellent investment. Bottled water around the convention area is one of those harder-to-find commodities, and in-convention is just insanely expensive. And staying hydrated is more important than anyone can stress, especially since it is usually rather warm Fanime weekend.

I fully second everyone else this guide mentions, but do want to add in, maybe plan to set aside some money to tip the cleaning service. Because over the weekend, especially if you have more people coming in and out of the room than the hotel officially allows, you will need new towels. Which means the cleaning staff will need to navigate around the costumes, luggage, dealer's room or artist's alley swag, napping people, etc strewn about the room to do so. It just means a little bit nicer service and that the staff doesn't shoot us death glares in the hallways. (or at least shoot fewer of them)
2009 cosplays:
ahaha, so undecided
Chibitalia, Yanki!Souji, TYL!Irie Shouichi, Jack Bezarius, and Cool Lady!Tear Grants are most likely though

XpHoBiaX

I think we may be roomates again. LOL

I have taken care of the food arrangements. XD

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

PyronIkari

Most of this is just general and I don't see the point of it, but I'm going to have to say...

ABSOLUTELY NO

about the food thing.

One meal a day, and rice+soy sauce the rest of the time IS AN ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE IDEA. Yes, it will sustain you, but it is hardly healthy, nor will it give you decent nutrients for an overactive weekend.

EAT... REAL... FOOD...

If you can't afford to eat for 1 weekend, FRANKLY, YOU SHOULDN'T BE GOING TO FANIME.

If you would rather eat rice and soy sauce for a weekend, so you can buy a 60$ figure... YOU ARE AN IDIOT.

There is a refrigerator in the hotel rooms(ask to be sure). If you want to save money, that's fine... but bring food that will appropriately sustain you. Rice and a rice cooker is fine, bring cold cuts, and vegetables to eat with it. A banana is incredibly healthy cheap and gives you a lot of energy. Asian pickles and rice are much better for you, than just rice and soy sauce. If you don't want to eat AT the convention, you can go and eat at one of hundreds of different places around there. There's a good Mexican place where you can get a meal for under 5$. Hell, even JITB or McDonalds, is better for you than just eating rice.

If you're young, here's some advice. Ask your parents to help you budget and plan. When the schedules come up, LOOK AT THEM, AND PLAN WHAT YOU WANT TO DO. Budget your money and spend appropriately. It's really not that hard. Be realistic. Don't spend money you don't have. Don't over exert yourself. Rest, eat, drink, sleep etc. when you need to. Every year, every con, an ambulance or 5 visits the convention to pick up an attendee that didn't eat, or overexerted themselves, or didn't sleep. Don't be one of these idiots. Take care of yourself, enjoy yourself, but take care of yourself.

SukebeStudios

Quote from: PyronIkari on May 01, 2009, 08:00:29 PM
Most of this is just general and I don't see the point of it, but I'm going to have to say...

ABSOLUTELY NO

about the food thing.

One meal a day, and rice+soy sauce the rest of the time IS AN ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE IDEA. Yes, it will sustain you, but it is hardly healthy, nor will it give you decent nutrients for an overactive weekend.

EAT... REAL... FOOD...

If you can't afford to eat for 1 weekend, FRANKLY, YOU SHOULDN'T BE GOING TO FANIME.

If you would rather eat rice and soy sauce for a weekend, so you can buy a 60$ figure... YOU ARE AN IDIOT.

There is a refrigerator in the hotel rooms(ask to be sure). If you want to save money, that's fine... but bring food that will appropriately sustain you. Rice and a rice cooker is fine, bring cold cuts, and vegetables to eat with it. A banana is incredibly healthy cheap and gives you a lot of energy. Asian pickles and rice are much better for you, than just rice and soy sauce. If you don't want to eat AT the convention, you can go and eat at one of hundreds of different places around there. There's a good Mexican place where you can get a meal for under 5$. Hell, even JITB or McDonalds, is better for you than just eating rice.

If you're young, here's some advice. Ask your parents to help you budget and plan. When the schedules come up, LOOK AT THEM, AND PLAN WHAT YOU WANT TO DO. Budget your money and spend appropriately. It's really not that hard. Be realistic. Don't spend money you don't have. Don't over exert yourself. Rest, eat, drink, sleep etc. when you need to. Every year, every con, an ambulance or 5 visits the convention to pick up an attendee that didn't eat, or overexerted themselves, or didn't sleep. Don't be one of these idiots. Take care of yourself, enjoy yourself, but take care of yourself.

I'm sorry, everything he says makes me laugh, as I can't possibly take him seriously.

PyronIkari

Quote from: SukebeStudios on May 01, 2009, 08:02:27 PM

I'm sorry, everything he says makes me laugh, as I can't possibly take him seriously.

Irony... good advice makes you laugh, what does that say about you?

Also... why would you use tickets at Dave & Busters to get a rice cooker, doesn't that show how you're bad with money?

You can get a decent rice cooker for 10-20$ at an asian market, or even like, walgreens.

Fanime is recreational and fun. If you can't afford it, you shouldn't go... this goes with almost everything though. If you can't afford a room or to room comfortably with others, if you can't afford to eat well the entire weekend, you really shouldn't go. If you are more concerned with buying toys or posters over eating and having a place to sleep... you are an idiot and I honestly hope you don't go to the con, because people like this give cons a bad name.

SukebeStudios

Quote from: PyronIkari on May 01, 2009, 08:15:47 PM
Quote from: SukebeStudios on May 01, 2009, 08:02:27 PM

Irony... good advice makes you laugh, what does that say about you?

Also... why would you use tickets at Dave & Busters to get a rice cooker, doesn't that show how you're bad with money?

You can get a decent rice cooker for 10-20$ at an asian market, or even like, walgreens.

Fanime is recreational and fun. If you can't afford it, you shouldn't go... this goes with almost everything though. If you can't afford a room or to room comfortably with others, if you can't afford to eat well the entire weekend, you really shouldn't go. If you are more concerned with buying toys or posters over eating and having a place to sleep... you are an idiot and I honestly hope you don't go to the con, because people like this give cons a bad name.

XD Like you could or WOULD do anything if I went. Look, what's good for you is good for you. Just not the way I do things.

PyronIkari

Quote from: SukebeStudios on May 01, 2009, 08:21:16 PM
XD Like you could or WOULD do anything if I went. Look, what's good for you is good for you. Just not the way I do things.

Huh? How does this apply at all to anything that was said.

You wrote a guide to advise people, and in that you gave some really bad advice. I pointed out how it's bad advice and an alternative. You actually gave some potentially bad advice that could cause harm to some people. I love how you turn anything said by me into something personal, it's kinda cute.

Knightfire

Rice and Insta noodles isn't enough to sustain me. If you are on a food budget, go shopping before the con. I'm buying my food ahead of time, getting the most food for my buck at the grocery store. And water. Your body needs it.
Starting work for Fanime 2011

SukebeStudios

Quote from: Knightfire on May 01, 2009, 08:46:47 PM
Rice and Insta noodles isn't enough to sustain me. If you are on a food budget, go shopping before the con. I'm buying my food ahead of time, getting the most food for my buck at the grocery store. And water. Your body needs it.

AH! You're right! I forgot one important part to add to the guide!
BTW, in a way, Pyron was right. Let me ADD TO the Food section.

STAY HYDRATED! Before the con begins, or at least after you check into your room, go to a supermarket and buy many cases of bottled water. But try to buy the store brand, unless you have a particular taste. (Water tastes the same to me...unless it's Arrowhead...tastes like dirt) If your room DOES have a fridge, and you are willing to spend a bit more, buy other foodstuffs that will keep. And if your room also has a microwave, then by all means, buy some TV dinners or other foodstuffs that are easy to nuke and eat. Also, you can keep your bottled water in the fridge. Some cosplayers get hot easily and this would be a good idea for you. If your room DOES NOT have a microwave, but DOES have a fridge, then buy bread, cheese, lunch meat and mayo/mustard/whatever to store in there. Sandwiches may be a better alternative for most people.

The only reason I was saying the rice and noodles and stuff...(Honestly, I don't remember mentioning noodles), is cause personally myself, I'm not picky about food, and at Fanime, food isn't my main priority. As long as I have something in my stomach, I can sacrifice "proper" sustinance for a limited amount of time. And if you are going to attempt the "rice diet"...then it's probably best to do it for only 1-2 meals a day. At least 1 meal should be a real one. You could use the previously mentioned sandwich as your 1 "Real Meal" if you want to save some more.

Mango Bunny

I'd say take some apples. I usually do. Bananas also keep without a fridge. There are oodles of healthy things you can bring that don't need a fridge even. Just think..... things you took to school in a brown bag. PB+J, anyone?

PyronIkari

Quote from: Mango Bunny on May 01, 2009, 10:44:35 PM
I'd say take some apples. I usually do. Bananas also keep without a fridge. There are oodles of healthy things you can bring that don't need a fridge even. Just think..... things you took to school in a brown bag. PB+J, anyone?

I still stand by "If you can't afford food then you shouldn't be going". If you are bringing food to save money or for convenience that's fine, but the people that starve themselves or live off things they shouldn't so they can even attend, or buy random toy from the dealers room, really shouldn't be going. These people are clearly not responsible enough to be going out and spending a weekend without supervision.

Mango Bunny

Quote from: PyronIkari on May 01, 2009, 10:51:41 PM

I still stand by "If you can't afford food then you shouldn't be going". If you are bringing food to save money or for convenience that's fine, but the people that starve themselves or live off things they shouldn't so they can even attend, or buy random toy from the dealers room, really shouldn't be going. These people are clearly not responsible enough to be going out and spending a weekend without supervision.

.... Not that I disagree, but I'm sure a lot of these people who are living off of air, water, and a pack of instant ramen aren't just the kids. >.o

To add, if you don't have a fridge in your room, bring a cooler if possible. That helps too.

EDIT:

A short list of healthy snacks:
Dried fruit
Apples
Oranges
Bananas
Almost any fruit ever
Any veggie that can go unrefrigerated for a while
Nuts
HEALTHY trail mix
Pita chips
Air-popped salted popcorn (from a bag)
PB+J
Granola/a Granola bar
Pretzels
Rice cakes (Add peanut butter!)
Dried peas
Cherry tomatoes

And there are oodles more if you had a fridge. Hummus, carrot sticks and dips, yogurt... Easy-peasy. And also cheaper than buying a lot of the food, orrrrr just good for snacks. KEEP HEALTHY, KIDS. Man is not meant to live on french fries alone.

Kyra_Maverick

Food wise, I've always done a mixture of bring it yourself and eating out.

I always go with about 3 or 4 other people. We all chip in for a flat of ramen, 2 cases of water, and healthy snacks like granola bars and fruit. These are used as snacks! As anyone who has had to live on ramen or spaghetti or mac & cheese will tell you, it sucks. Even if you are just doing it for a weekend.

Buy food to take with you, and safe an extra $15 or so each day for food. If you have leftover money at the end of the weekend, then all the better.

LordKefka

I honestly don't know why this is so complicated. I also don't know anyone who is so poor they have to eat ramen or just rice (or even think about doing so) when you can just hold back on buying a stupid plushy or boxes of Pocky in the dealer's room... Finally, I don't even want to list all the places there are to eat but I can safely say if you have $30-$40, you can get through 4 days (lunch and dinner) easily.

Oh, I also forgot one thing. You don't need CASES upon CASES of water. 6-8 will get you through... That's it. I mean unless you're literally running around the con...-_-;
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

SOawesomeness

There are... you know, water dispenser thingies with cups all around the SJCC...
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

LordKefka

I heard some bad news about those things though that's why I avoided mentioning it in case I get sued  ;D
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: PyronIkari on May 01, 2009, 10:51:41 PM

Some people will live off of Fast Food weather they go or not, simply because. There's no point in stopping them of thats  what they will do no matter what. Though it is a good idea to stop them from suggesting it to others.
But I agree with Pyron. At the very least bring something healthy to eat with that rice. On it's own it will barely sustain you if at all. Keeping a assortment of things like bananas and such is a much better idea then solely rice. Water is also important, though a simple bottle will do as hotels have sinks and unless it's different this year there will be water on the Con floor. No need to buy bottled water.

As for this guide. I found that it really did not help with much. As clearly stated the food guide is horrible. The rest of it was barely useful and trailed off into personal experiences more then half the time. The guide should be helping others. I'm reading it and I'm wondering, "Why is he stating that he is not including his hotel room spending simply because his mother is paying for it?" We don't need this. We need the facts. It's okay to comment on something here and there, but past that you should not. It would be great if you set up a chart on how much money one should have for the convention. Otherwise information could be lost in the wall of text.

Now the other half was all right. I still think you trailed far to much and deluded some of the points trying to be made. Again, you should chart stuff out on a list. For instance:
Hotel Room suggestions:
- Bring Sleeping Bags
- Set Showering schedules
- Make sure everyone pays beforehand
- Don't let the hotel find out about the real number of occupants (jk, but not really =P)
-etc, etc

Doing this is simple and helps localize info for the readers. You can start a small rant about the things that would be to complex and such to list in this fashion, but this will make it easier to use.

I believe this guide should be drastically edited.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: LordKefka on May 02, 2009, 12:04:03 AM
I heard some bad news about those things though that's why I avoided mentioning it in case I get sued  ;D
Oh really =0?
I don't see how you would get sued, but whatever.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.