Creepy or not? Cosplayer/Photographer pointers for photos & cosplay

Started by BSaphire, April 29, 2009, 08:50:48 AM

BSaphire

Hello there Fanime Cospeeps!
Please offer up advice to each other on cosplaying, posing, what to do, what not to do, tips for better photos, etc. Photographers please feel free to offer up advice also, maybe the link to where you post your cosplayer photos so the cospeeps can find them, or advice on posing or photography. Look to the second post for some lists of everyone's input, advice, or ideas.

Squidges
BSaphire

BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

BSaphire

Here is your lists:  ;D

Pointers FROM the photographers 8)

Cosplayer photo sites :)

Pointers for all Photographers: :)
1. Ask to take a photo first.
Please be respectful if they say "No" and don't try to sneak a shot anyway.

2. Present yourself respectfully and professionally.
You reflect on other Professional Photographers and it gets tiring apologizing for the mistakes of others.

3. Clearly state/Clarify who you are and what company you represent before hand and afterwords hand out your business cards.

4. When photographing children ask the parent/guardian/chaperon for permission to use those photos & ask them to hold the child's badge so that their name doesn't appear in the photo.

If they decline don't push it. Chibi characters are cute, but they are children and you could lead to a "bad" person finding them.

5. When photographing the younger females (under 18) please refrain from deliberately taking breast &/or underwear shots. Those photos could end up copied onto some pervs home computer and as the photographer you have the choice on whether or not to take those types of photos.

5. Please respect a cosplayer's personal space when taking your photo... that's what the zoom is for ^^) and it makes for better photos.

6. To take or not to take.
Many times I have seen photographers taking photos in really bad lighting/surroundings/or the area is just to busy. If you want a photo ask and tell them you would like to do it right over there just a few steps out of the way. This saves you from those people walking in front or behind your photo (most of the time they are unaware they even are). Or those white wall & outlet photos that can be better with a change of location and adjustment to the camera.

If you ask to take a photo and you are told "NO" or "Not right now" PLEASE respect their wishes. I have seen this time and time again and I will side with the cosplayers over a photographer. Once I even stood in the way as the person told "No" to tried to angle their camera to "Sneak" a shot. The group was eating lunch and wanted to do it later. I hope they didn't get anything good out of their attempt, but I got some great photos!

7. To flash or not to flash.
If your camera is set to automatic then it will try and decide for you. You can change that setting and adjust your camera for the lighting.

Know how far your flash falls. I have seen photogs taking pics during the cosplay masq with flash. With some cameras it is really pointless to use it because the flash isn't falling where you need it to. In fact I have had some really nice pics messed up because of another photogs flash bouncing off surfaces including my lens. Know the depth and width of your flash and by a few adjustments you could end up with some better shots without it.

Red eyes from your flash. Read your manual to know how to adjust this. Other light sources along with flash can cause this effect because of light bouncing off of surfaces or too many light sources.

Cosplayers ~ What to do: :D
1. Ask yourself: "Would I want insert name(s) here to see this?" and listen to your answer. If in doubt.... DON'T :)

2. Know your character & the personality before you cosplay.
This is more directed towards the female cosplayers but it is good for all cosplayers. If you want to cosplay a female character that is dressed provocatively or in very little know that you will get attention and it won't always be good.  Because of this I am posting it under what NOT to do also ^^)

3. Make sure your costume fits! This is already addressed partly, but make sure that your skirt/shorts don't ride up, your top doesn't gap, etc. Also know your body type and how to cover yourself, especially if you are busty and wearing something low-cut. If you don't have the right skills to pattern something that fits, then either alter it, get help (from a friend/parent/whoever or by commissioning that piece), or choose a new costume. You don't want too much skin showing because you didn't realize your skirt had ridden up or when you leaned over, your breasts spilled out.

- When in doubt, use bodytape. Even if something doesn't fit perfectly, this stuff can at least hold it in place to fake the fit. Plus, it prevents too much skin from showing.

- For added protection, shorts, opaque tights, and bodysuits can be worn. Again, you don't want to accidentally show too much. If you are afraid of a panty shot, then prevent one to begin with. This is especially important in short skirts with fullness (like a pleated sailor fuku skirt) and especially if it is full enough to require petticoats, because the swing the skirt and the skirt standing away from the body makes accidental panty shots really easy.(Nina Star 9)

Cosplayers ~ What NOT to do: :o
Guys:
1. Put some back on!
Make sure you don't "Fall/peek" out of your bottoms (especially those Spartans :) Get the right size to handle those "unexpected" moments.

So your friends talked you into this character but you don't really know it. Ask them for the info on the who, what how and why so that you can be better prepared. It makes for better photos and may explain some comments or attitudes towards the character your wearing...

3. Don't Assume She is like the Character she is wearing.
Though some girls want attention others don't. So if she is dressed as that sexy fighter character with the big breasts and seductive eyes don't think that the girl underneath is just like that. (Personally I would slap you if you thought & acted as though I was) so be careful when you assume because they may just be "Cosplaying".. you know Character Role Playing... and not really be that way.

Girls:
1. Don't "Janet Jackson" your chest :)
Make sure your breasts are secure in your top so you don't "accidentally" expose yourself.

So your friends talked you into this character but you don't really know it. Ask them for the info on the who, what how and why so that you can be better prepared. It makes for better photos and may explain some comments or attitudes towards the character your wearing...

This is more directed towards the female cosplayers but it is good for all cosplayers. If you want to cosplay a female character that is dressed provocatively or in very little know that you will get attention and it won't always be good.  ^^)

Make-up tips, tricks, advice, links and the like: ;D

1. Links that were suggested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nJXK5EJEQA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pceokOMQycY

Cosplayers ~ Pointers for Posing: :P

1. Do a test run in your cosplay.
Run through your character poses in front of a mirror, your friends, or other trusted person. Tell them that you want to make sure you aren't revealing too much (besides checking the poses for coolness :P ) so that you don't give out "Fan Boy/Fan Girl" service unexpectedly and have it caught in digital form FOREVER ^^)

2. Practice more than one pose.
When I shoot a cosplayer I normally want more than one pose when it is a single and when in a group it is nice to change it up. You should do some posing practice for a group shot because some will end up positioned lower and that may change how you pose.

3. Practice holding the pose.
Many times I watch walk-ons during the cosplay masquerade and they do not hold their pose long enough.

If you are posing for a photog out and about hold your pose for an eight count &/or listen to the photog to make sure they are ready so you aren't holding the pose forever.

When you do a walk on hold your pose for at least an eight count even to a twelve count. If you move to fast those images run the risk of being blurry. Cameras need to be adjusted and not everyone can do this quickly. During a masquerade the time is even shorter.

If you are with a group make sure you practice your group poses too. On stage or off time is of the essence and being able to hit your mark will help to make everything run smoothly.

4. If you need a break from the pose speak up.
Photographers are patient people and many times there will be a countdown to a break to stand and stretch out your body before doing the next shot. This is where practicing before hand really pays off by steadying yourself and getting used to holding it for longer periods. Knowing when and how to adjust without moving a lot.

What we can all do:

1. Step UP and lend a hand.
If you think something looks off or strange step up and make sure that person is ok by letting Fanime Staff know. I will have a table on the first floor of the Convention Center with a staff person there at all times during the day.

2. Ask for a friend or another cosplayer.
If you have read this and find yourself standing next to a "shy" or "new" cosplayer that doesn't know step up and ask the photographer questions. This will help the new ones learn how to protect their self and let the photographer know that someone is paying attention.

BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

BrightHeart76

Being a fat white chick...I'm pretty safe from the creepy people.  However, I'm still very careful because I do work in the education feild and I really don't need a picture of me on the internet having a Janet Jackson moment (you all know what I mean).

Because I cosplay Lady Tsunade a lot of poses can be revealing.  For me the question is always "would I want my students to see this?" for some of you it might be "would I want my husband/wife/children/parents to see this?"  if you have to think about it for more than 5 seconds don't do it.

Know your cosplay, know how it moves with your body.  Before you walk out in public try posing infront of a mirror and/or friends to find out what looks appropriate to you.

Also, if those of us older cospeeps see something that looks like one of the younger generation being pressured by one of the creeps we should probably step up and ask the cosplayer if they're ok, if they know this person, if they want to stop/leave.  Just saying, we can all work together to keep the the fountains area safe.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

RaddaX2

lmao at EurobeatKing warning people about "creepy photographers".
It ain't the meaning of life but the feeling of it.

BSaphire

I updated the 2nd post to reflect some of your good points BrightHear76 :) Thanks for the input ^^)
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

heeroyuy135

When in doubt, ask for a business card. If somehow the final picture doesn't come out the way you intended it to be, you can always ask e-mail or instant message the photographer to take down that picture - they'll honor the request.
I plan to hand out my business card for that reason when I take pictures @ Fanime this year.

Eurobeat King

Quote from: RaddaX2 on April 29, 2009, 10:19:15 AM
lmao at EurobeatKing warning people about "creepy photographers".

are you trying to suggest something?   :P

"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

Neo-Zaku

Things for Cosplayers:

Practice more then one pose. It helps you keep from getting tired of posing and makes sure that not every pic of you on the net looks the same.

Like others have said. Practice moving in the costume and wearing it for as long as you plan to at con. It's amazing how hot something a simple as a wig can get after too long. (Found that out the hard way with my first costume.)

Not everyone is rocking a multi-hundred dollar camera that can shoot on the fly. Save that pose for once they have their camera up and ready. Makes things easier for you not trying to hold that pose for too long.

Know when to retreat.  ;D If you're tired then drop the pose, relax a minute and then resume if you want to.

Things for Photographers:

If possible try and not stop cosplayers in the dealers hall. It's often disruptive to the flow of traffic.

Make sure you have permission before taking a pic. You get better pictures and don't look like a creep.

Remember people can't hold a pose forever.

Group Meets are your friend. They tend to give you the best chance of finding a particular character from that series. That and they are usually pretty awesome.

Heh. I'll be attending Fanime for the 7th year this year and I am definately excited because this year I have a new camera for taking pictures with. Canon Rebel XSi if anyone cared.
There is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack is to be able to throw yourself at the ground...

...and miss!

Proud Member of TGC!

Eurobeat King

BSaphire: I deleted the thread that i made cos people there, mainly photographers, weren't taking the thread seriously.  :P So you can keep this thread going here. 

Yuu

Eurobeat King is  just another creepy otaku. Tne only difference is hes good at photography. The reason for his reknown is beyond me.

I also have a friend who is profesional. ( Not as bad as Eurobeat becuase he takes pictures of everyone) But perosonally, he is disturbingly obsesseed with the 'MOE" and has about every 'figureine' ever made.

This is anime, I dont trust any male photrographers and only cosplay as guys. If you dont want to be harrassed by them dont wear skimpy outfits. If you must, pose modestly. If THAT doesnt work, tell them go F-themselves.
" Your aren't taking sides if you spread out violence evenly"

bahamutknightzero

I had a feeling a topic like this would be like opening a can of worms

BSaphire

Quote from: bahamutknightzero on May 07, 2009, 11:28:06 AM

I know that there are always those wormy apples... :P

I was hoping that the seasoned cosplayers and common photographers out here would post some helpful hints and suggestions to the many new/newer cosplayers and help them out. I've heard it in conversation with so many of you through out the years, but I didn't want to make this thread based on what I have said... so how about some tips/pointers/suggestions cospeeps! Help each other out... ^^)

Arigato
B
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

Yuu

Quote from: BSaphire on May 07, 2009, 11:50:54 AM

I know that there are always those wormy apples... :P

I was hoping that the seasoned cosplayers and common photographers out here would post some helpful hints and suggestions to the many new/newer cosplayers and help them out. I've heard it in conversation with so many of you through out the years, but I didn't want to make this thread based on what I have said... so how about some tips/pointers/suggestions cospeeps! Help each other out... ^^)

Arigato
B

It isnt that I dont want to contribute constructivley,  I just dont know what spicific tips your looking for.

There will always be creeps and they will always hide behind a smile and a camera
Be weary and dont dress too scantly, unless you want pervy otaku snapping panty shots, then by all means.

I dont know what else can be said.
" Your aren't taking sides if you spread out violence evenly"

Eurobeat King

Some people just don't take the subject seriously enough..

There are just too many creepy photographers and pervs that outnumber the polite photographers.  That's the case at EVERY convention..

WrentheFaceless

Well with some of the outfits some of the females wear, I wonder why...

The-O

I feel left out not being in that list  :P

Anyways, if they're like our old badges from previous years, press badges are brightly colored green and stick out like a sore thumb so look for those.

It's good practice for photographers to hand out their business cards and to inform the person where they can find their pictures, though it's understandable it can be difficult when a cosplayer is being mobbed for photos.
We try out best to every year regardless at every convention.
The-O Network Online Executive Editor
Con Reports, Photos, News, Interviews, Reviews, and more!
www.t-ono.net

Tenchi Fan

Any advice for folks without press pass, well known, etc and how not to be creepy.  I took very few photos last year because I didn't want to be creepy. Cool thing is that I was contacted by a couple people for photoshoots after looking at my past cosplay event photos.

I usually wear a deviantArt cap or shirt and have the location of where my pictures will be posted on my camera straps. People at least know where to look, since I don't have business cards.

The-O

Always ask politely for permission to take a photo, and make sure to thank them afterwards.
Typically as long as you are polite about your requests, it should be fine, just try not to be nervous and have fun.
The-O Network Online Executive Editor
Con Reports, Photos, News, Interviews, Reviews, and more!
www.t-ono.net

quantbits

Quote from: BSaphire on April 29, 2009, 08:56:25 AM
Here is your lists:  ;D

Pointers on How to tell if a photographer is professional: 8)
1. Look to see if they have a "FANIME-CON" Press Badge.
Fanime-Con press badges are different from your attendee/staff/industry/guest/etc badges. They should say the name, company, badge number and PRESS on it. A press badge from Fanime means that person/company has met the business/convention requirements to receive a badge and doesn't mean you don't have to trust your gut... ALWAYS Trust YOU first!

This is inaccurate.

Obviously you haven't applied for Press badges. I always get turned away because
straight cosplay con photography doesn't count as official press, much less private shoots.

Just thought I should set that straight.
Don't believe me? Try asking AX for a press badge and see what happens.

If you can't control what's around you, start controling what you can to the degree you feel comfortable going to the con.
Whining about photographers isn't going to solve anything.

I should also add, if the photog wants to pose with you, that's NOT professional.
The only people I pose with are close people I've known for years, and those are crack shots at best.

Counter-points

1)
Creepy photogs? Sure they're in the wrong, but they're part of the con at this point.
It's part of the risk of going to the con. the photographer already can legally post it anywhere without your permission if he's not selling it (like flickr) legally - tough luck.
Walk away, dress more conservatively, get the boyfriend to be your bodyguard, etc etc. If you're that scared, then stop wearing the costume - just do something about it to end the uncomfortable situation.

2)
"guys are creepy" - I agree. But what about the girls what dress up in skimpy cosplay just for attention? Sexism goes both ways in any given situation.

Eurobeat King

Quote from: quantbits on May 08, 2009, 12:03:52 AM
This is inaccurate.

Obviously you haven't applied for Press Badges before.

You might want to show a little more respect to the moderator here, since BSaphire has actually run conventions so I think she knows how to handle Press Relations.

Quote from: YuuEurobeat King is  just another creepy otaku. The only difference is hes good at photography. The reason for his reknown is beyond me.

I thank you for the compliment about the photography.  However, I don't appreciate someone I don't know (or maybe I do know) calling me "creepy."  I'm sorry, but that's just disrespectful..  go do that in 4chan, but not here..