eye contacts

Started by SavageRazr, April 30, 2009, 11:57:38 AM

SavageRazr

someone earlier asked about them, and i read that you need a perscription. does that mean if i wanted to get contacts, now i cant?

LastExile

I believe, if they're costume contacts, like for cosplay, you don't need a prescription.

Lexy

Just throwing this in there..

If you already do wear prescribed contact lenses, you can put the costume contacts over your own contacts. I did that two years ago and didn't have any problems with my sight, nor did it irritate me. I was also able to seperate them at the end of the day just by using solution.
Let's Play Channel
PSN: Lexy-

chanocular

Quote from: SavageRazr on April 30, 2009, 11:57:38 AM
someone earlier asked about them, and i read that you need a perscription. does that mean if i wanted to get contacts, now i cant?

Depends where you buy them. If the vendor is in the US, I think they will ask you to fax/email your prescription.

@Lexy

You are those fortunate people who don't get irritated by stacking contacts. It felt like there was sand in my eyes...and the tears...it was like a waterfall. Anyway, I say stack with caution and consult with your doctor.  :)

Roguethe

Last year and the year before, there was a contact seller in the dealer room.
She did not ask for perscriptions or anything.

I draw sometimessss

chanocular

oops...I just realized that the op is probably referring to the contacts vendor in the dealers room, hence this is why this thread is in the dealers room forums.  :-X lol

frumpy

FYI: The Contact Lense Company will be returning to FanimeCon 2009.
Camilla Wong
Dealers Dept '07-'12, 2014-current
Charity Auction '04, '09-'12
Video Programming '00-'04
Gopher Volunteer '98-'99

ELDEMONIO

Good thing I got cleared by my Doc to wear them. ;D

But alas, I don't plan on going their with red eyes. :(

ovtrlan

Ok, here's how it goes. Contacts with NO prescription, or plain-o's are legal to sell without a prescription. That includes no curves to fit astigmatism. I have four pairs, a wig shop near my place sells plain-o's
When I am done with my current project, it will be amazing! :D

Lucifargundam

I wish they were'nt soo expensive!

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

frumpy

http://www.exoticlenses.com/store/index.php

if anyone has questions, you can always ask them prior to con.
Camilla Wong
Gopher Volunteer '98-'99

Rodney_Pheonix

Quote from: frumpy on May 05, 2009, 10:09:13 AM
http://www.exoticlenses.com/store/index.php

if anyone has questions, you can always ask them prior to con.

So is that the group that's going to be doing the contacts booth for 09?
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

SavageRazr

thanks you guys are  a bigtime help!
but also i mentioned it to my cousin where my auntie was around to hear it, who is my eye doctor and she said that non prescription eye contacts are illegal period so i am all :/ on what to believe. so if any of you people are a doctor, someone who studies law OR an actual eye doctor helllllppppppp >.<

frumpy

Quote from: SavageRazr on May 11, 2009, 11:16:55 PM
but also i mentioned it to my cousin where my auntie was around to hear it, who is my eye doctor and she said that non prescription eye contacts are illegal period so i am all :/ on what to believe. so if any of you people are a doctor, someone who studies law OR an actual eye doctor helllllppppppp >.<

If they're illegal, how do Hollywood film studios get away with their costume props??
Camilla Wong
Gopher Volunteer '98-'99

Rodney_Pheonix

I think your auntie might be full of it on that note. If they were illegal do you think people would actually vend them with a license to do so on U.S. soil?
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

chanocular

My doctor told me the same thing. 9mmSfx.com told me this as well. "According to the law, contact lenses are medical devices and selling contact lenses without prescription is illegal in USA".

Kuudere

Quote from: Rodney_Pheonix on May 12, 2009, 09:58:51 AM

I think your auntie might be full of it on that note. If they were illegal do you think people would actually vend them with a license to do so on U.S. soil?

I think you are misunderstanding what her Aunt means. There is a lot more to prescription than just the power needed for vision. You also need the base curve and diameter of your eye measured. So even if you're getting plano (no added vision), you still need a prescription to fit them. They are not illegal to sell, but they are illegal to sell here without having that prescription made and proven by an eye doctor.

Yes, there are foreign sites who will allow you to buy them without this, but that's because what they're doing is unlawful and it's too difficult for the FDA to monitor something occurring in another country.

Yes, this vendor SHOULD be asking for a prescription from its customers. If they get caught, they will most likely get in trouble for it. But hey, if you want contacts without the hassle, they are offering that to you, at their own risk.

Also, as a side note, I do find it kind of unsettling that the website they have spells astigmatism as "agstigmatism"...an obvious mistake on a word that should be very familiar in the contact world...I don't know.

frumpy

Yes, this vendor SHOULD be asking for a prescription from its customers. If they get caught, they will most likely get in trouble for it. But hey, if you want contacts without the hassle, they are offering that to you, at their own risk.
[/quote]

According to the front page of their website, they DO require prescriptions:

"Please be advised that all orders submitted through this site are required to have valid prescription information submitted with it. All prescription information will be verified to make sure it is valid and up-to-date. If you have any questions please call our main office at (770) 298-2673."

Please read info responsibly ^_^;
Camilla Wong
Gopher Volunteer '98-'99

BlueCharisma

I make sure to check them out.

Kuudere

Quote from: frumpy on May 17, 2009, 08:10:57 AM
According to the front page of their website, they DO require prescriptions:

"Please be advised that all orders submitted through this site are required to have valid prescription information submitted with it. All prescription information will be verified to make sure it is valid and up-to-date. If you have any questions please call our main office at (770) 298-2673."

Please read info responsibly ^_^;

I didn't mean to say anything slanderous, I was simply taking what Rogue-Ayanami said as truth. She said the contact dealer did not ask for a prescription for two years. If that is really the case, then it is illegal. If not, then great. I really don't mind whether they ask for it or not, I'm just informing people on what is the law since there seemed to be a lot of confusion on the matter.