First timer to fanime

Started by shogunboy, April 30, 2009, 09:10:35 PM

shogunboy

Because this is the first time I plan on going to fanime, I do have questions to ask for those who have been to fanime before.

1. Is it a bad thing if you don't have anything that is anime on you (shirts, pants, hat, costume, and etc)?
2. If your budget is like only about $50-100 dollars, how do you balance arcade time and Swap meets?
3. Is it true that going alone is on a epic difficulty?
4. If I don't go to the dealer's hall for this year, is that a bad thing?

Mango Bunny

1. No. Don't worry about that at all. I don't wear any of that, and neither do most people who aren't cosplaying it seems.
2. Well, I'd save a certain amount for each day. Make sure you have money for all  the things you NEED. Then check out the swap meet, the dealers' room, etc.
3. Going alone is fine. There are people everywhere. Just try to be social. I always wander around alone and I have fun just people watching (I'm sorrrrta shy.)
4. It isn't a bad thing. They have a lot of overpriced stuff, but some cool buys too. You can always just look. I don't buy a lot there, save for maybe a trinket or two for a keepsake.

PyronIkari

Quote from: shogunboy on April 30, 2009, 09:10:35 PM
Because this is the first time I plan on going to fanime, I do have questions to ask for those who have been to fanime before.

1. Is it a bad thing if you don't have anything that is anime on you (shirts, pants, hat, costume, and etc)?
2. If your budget is like only about $50-100 dollars, how do you balance arcade time and Swap meets?
3. Is it true that going alone is on a epic difficulty?
4. If I don't go to the dealer's hall for this year, is that a bad thing?

1. No, this makes you normal. Normal is actually a good thing. Strive to be able to not be an outcast, but enjoy your hobbies.
2. I don't buy stuff. There's no reason for me to, just be realistic with your money... like you should be.
3. No, it's easy to meet people(meeting social people that aren't idiots however... may be kinda difficult). It's more enjoyable to go with friends, but certainly not horrible to go alone.
4. I make one round in the dealer's hall every year at every con just to see if there happens to be something I like that I can't easily get online. Rarely do I find something.

shogunboy

Well, because its more getting lost than finding someone to talk to. I am going with friends and one of my friends has gone to fanime before.

Kyra_Maverick

If you're worried about getting lost in the convention, I wouldn't. There are info booths with maps all over the place, and if that fails you can always ask a fellow con goer.

If $50-$100 is your spending money and doesn't include food, then you shouldn't have too much to worry about. Especially if you're only going for a day or two. If you find something in the dealers hall, but don't have the money, grab one of the booth's business cards and look them up later. Chances are they have a store front or website.

Going alone is only difficult financial wise. The hotel can be pretty expensive to pay for all by yourself.

shogunboy

I may stay at fanime at most 2 1/2 to close to 3 days (saturday, sunday, and all of monday).

kuroi

1. Is it a bad thing if you don't have anything that is anime on you (shirts, pants, hat, costume, and etc)? Not at all! There are plenty of people who wander around in plainclothes. You're at an anime convention; that's enough to show the rest of us there that you're interested.

2. If your budget is like only about $50-100 dollars, how do you balance arcade time and Swap meets? If that doesn't include food, make a list of very specific things you're looking for or certain things you want to do/play. If that budget does include food money, set aside some (realize that convention center food is pretty expensive, but it is entirely possible to get a good, full meal for $5-$7 within a 10 minute walk), and go from there.

3. Is it true that going alone is on a epic difficulty? Not at all! I have never been to Fanime alone before, but I have been to many other cons that I consider much less friendly than Fanime alone for my first time attending them, and as long as you are friendly, people are friendly right back. Lines and gatherings are great to find people to hang out with. Also, the convention layout is pretty straightforward, and there are maps all over the place. And the rovers are usually very knowledgeable about where things are, and most of the con goers will know at least where rooms will be. But as I said, the layout of the con is pretty straightforward, thanks to everything being pretty much in one building. (aka, if you're going outdoors to get somewhere that isn't food or a cosplay gathering (okay, the masquerade is across the street, but that's pretty identifiable by the long line of people), you're doing something wrong [or taking a shortcut, but that's a different matter])

4. If I don't go to the dealer's hall for this year, is that a bad thing? Nope! Last year, I'm fairly sure the only things I bought at the dealers room were prizes for a panel I was running. No one will judge you if you aren't carrying dealer's room swag around with you. If there is something that you're absolutely looking for, then a swing through the dealer's room is probably a good idea, but if you're looking to save money, then it's skippable. Though it's fun to go through and see what kind of merchandise various companies are churning out. :D
2009 cosplays:
ahaha, so undecided
Chibitalia, Yanki!Souji, TYL!Irie Shouichi, Jack Bezarius, and Cool Lady!Tear Grants are most likely though

SukebeStudios

I'd like to refer you to my guide. It helps with advice for first timers at Fanime.

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,12154.0.html