Karaoke Contest Online Signups: Sunday, around 10PM

Started by Hank-KKD, May 01, 2009, 01:27:55 AM

Enkai

Are you kidding me?!?!  I get a freakin' headache and lie down and I miss signups?!?!

I think this is a sign: the contest ABSOLUTELY NEEDS to change its setups to allow for more interest.  Especially since it went up an hour before most people were expecting and it STILL filled up early.

I WILL be doing what I can to sign-up at con, but this still makes me mad.
#$!@#$!@#!@#

xXunyuuXx

Quote from: OpheliaCat8 on May 03, 2009, 10:16:29 PM
That's my hope too, but I don't think it's fair that they said 10:00 but it's been open for the past 25ish minutes, meaning people were singing up before 10:00!   And they only have 10 spots to sign up for at the con!!  What am I supposed to do now, not even been given a chance?

I second this. Got home in a hurry before 10PM and filled out the sheet as fast as I can but by the time I submit it, it was all over. ;o;

Nina Star 9

I agree that if the signups are supposed to open at 10, then they need to open at 10 everywhere and not early in one place. It gives everyone a fairer chance, you know? I feel cheated out of a place in the contest.

I'm still hoping that I can make at-con signups. Judging by the popularity of the contest and how many people here didn't get a chance to sign up, though, I'm not sure how likely that is.

Enkai

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on May 03, 2009, 10:36:52 PM
I'm still hoping that I can make at-con signups. Judging by the popularity of the contest and how many people here didn't get a chance to sign up, though, I'm not sure how likely that is.

Tell me about it.  I have to drive up from San Luis Obispo, so I've got an automatic disadvantage from the people who live in the Bay Area and can get there earlier.  I've already decided to skip classes that day (I'd have to skip at least one; it goes from 3-6), but suddenly I feel like I'm going to need to leave at 8 just to sign up for a stupid contest?

I don't even know why I'm so devoted to it.  Kami-sama knows I was definitely NOT a fan of the way things occurred.

Super Sheba

Quote from: Loco:Neko on May 03, 2009, 10:27:41 PM
That's my hope too, but I don't think it's fair that they said 10:00 but it's been open for the past 25ish minutes, meaning people were singing up before 10:00!   And they only have 10 spots to sign up for at the con!!  What am I supposed to do now, not even been given a chance?

While I know what the rules say, I have to agree with this statement.  The thread did say around 10PM.  In the minds of most (or at least in my opinion) that's usually a gap of 15 mins before or 15 mins after 10pm.  An hour before is kinda deceiving.  On top of that, there was supposed to be something on twitter.  I was texting on my phone while at work (bad me!) and I never got anything from Twitter.  I was working till 9:30pm and didn't get back home till 9:45pm. 

I dunno.  I'll place my hopes with At-con sign-ups, but I highly doubt i'll make it considering I won't get into San Jose till about 1pm on Friday.  Best of luck to the contestants.  ^-^

It didn't go up an hour before.  I was reading the threads and watching like a hawk, and it didn't go up on twitter until 9:45pm, which falls in your range.  I do understand all of your frustration, though.  I'm not saying it's all dandy, but I just wanted to point out that it the sign ups did not go up at 9pm, but actually they didn't go up until a lot later.  I was refreshing the page constantly.

Hank-KKD

Hi folks,

Thanks for your posts. We did put up the link a bit early on Twitter, at around 9:42PM.

Based on last year's turnout, I expected 4 or 5 people to sign up by 10PM. However, by 10PM, 21 people had already signed up.

We did not expect such a tremendous turnout- both the quick turnout and the responses over sign-ups filling up speak strongly for the increased interest in Fanime Con's Karaoke Contest. Next year, we will definitely be expanding the number of spots for online signups. Also, in the future we will open sign-ups exactly at 10PM.

As we get closer to the con, we will post more information on at-con signups.

Super Sheba

Quote from: GaleWolf on May 03, 2009, 10:52:25 PM
Hi folks,

Thanks for your posts. We did put up the link a bit early on Twitter, at around 9:42PM.

Based on last year's turnout, I expected 4 or 5 people to sign up by 10PM. However, by 10PM, 21 people had already signed up.

We did not expect such a tremendous turnout- both the quick turnout and the responses over sign-ups filling up speak strongly for the increased interest in Fanime Con's Karaoke Contest. Next year, we will definitely be expanding the number of spots for online signups. Also, in the future we will open sign-ups exactly at 10PM.

As we get closer to the con, we will post more information on at-con signups.

While as far as I know, I made it into the contest, I am so grateful for the enormous effort you are already making to fix next year's workings before this year's con has even begun. 

Milai Sapphire

Wow that was really fast....less than 25 minutes? o__o Think if I didn't take a break from my midterm studying to see what was going on I totally would have missed it...cause before I thought sign-ups would come on line exactly at 10 PM... :x

xXunyuuXx

As far as I know, those who sign up last year, some didn't even showed up so we still have a chance.

Enkai

Quote from: xXunyuuXx on May 03, 2009, 11:09:07 PM
As far as I know, those who sign up last year, some didn't even showed up so we still have a chance.

That's my hope too, but judging things according to how they were last year is part of how I got into this situation in the first place.  ("Signups actually being on time?  Never!  I should be fine lying down rather than staring at a pain-inducing white screen.")  In retrospect, it probably would have been a better option to just take some painkillers then.

Loco:Neko

Quote from: Super Sheba on May 03, 2009, 10:47:37 PM
Quote from: Loco:Neko on May 03, 2009, 10:27:41 PM

While I know what the rules say, I have to agree with this statement.  The thread did say around 10PM.  In the minds of most (or at least in my opinion) that's usually a gap of 15 mins before or 15 mins after 10pm.  An hour before is kinda deceiving.  On top of that, there was supposed to be something on twitter.  I was texting on my phone while at work (bad me!) and I never got anything from Twitter.  I was working till 9:30pm and didn't get back home till 9:45pm. 

I dunno.  I'll place my hopes with At-con sign-ups, but I highly doubt i'll make it considering I won't get into San Jose till about 1pm on Friday.  Best of luck to the contestants.  ^-^

It didn't go up an hour before.  I was reading the threads and watching like a hawk, and it didn't go up on twitter until 9:45pm, which falls in your range.  I do understand all of your frustration, though.  I'm not saying it's all dandy, but I just wanted to point out that it the sign ups did not go up at 9pm, but actually they didn't go up until a lot later.  I was refreshing the page constantly.

I dunno.  All I know is that I never got anything from Twitter and the thread for the link says it opened at 08:57: 07 PM  and ended at 09:06:42 PM. I dunno.  Maybe my computer is stupid and telling me the wrong time. MEH!!!  Whatever.  If I get in yay, if not life goes on.   Gotta roll with the punches.  Hopefully the waitlist isn't CRAZY long by 1pm on Friday.  *crosses fingers*

Enkai

Loco:Neko --
I think something's up with the display time.  I see all posts as an hour earlier than they actually occurred.  Check the one on your most recent post, it probably says 10:17.

PrincessCake

are you kidding me? I had just got back home and now i can't sign up for the karaoke contest?
Cosplays for Fanime 2009
- Sei from Burst Angel
- Sailor Mars
- Yoruichi from Bleach
- Lolita
- Team Magma Grunt from Pokemon Hoenn Season
- Rave/Dance Outfit

Kimiko

I never got anything from Twitter either, but I still saw the sign-ups ,and hopefully made it in time.

This just shows how much the karaoke is growing at Fanime and I'm hoping a lot more groups get in this time, so that they will eventually open up a solos and groups category. But if it's only 35 acts total, it's hard to determine if there ARE enough groups too. But last year, there was only 1 group in the whole batch of soloists and that was mine. And our "group" is only a duo!
2009 Costumes
Pita Ten ~ Shia
Rozen Maiden ~ Hina Ichigo
Gijinka Pokemon ~ Plusle
Salt5 ~ Abe Natsumi

Quote from: Enkai on May 03, 2009, 11:24:45 PM
Loco:Neko --
I think something's up with the display time.  I see all posts as an hour earlier than they actually occurred.  Check the one on your most recent post, it probably says 10:17.

Haha!  Ya!  I just figured it out.  Sorry about that GaleWolf.  And thanks Enkai!   ;D

PrincessCake

its going to be nearly impossible for me to sign up at fanime too. God this sucks!!!! I really wanted to be apart of this.
Cosplays for Fanime 2009
- Sei from Burst Angel
- Sailor Mars
- Yoruichi from Bleach
- Lolita
- Rave/Dance Outfit

Maybe we should make up some kind of spiritual dance to increase our chances of getting in.   ;D  LMAO!

If not, for me camp out in front of the Karaoke room.  I'll bring chocolate and marshmallows!   XD

PrincessCake

or maybe he should open up like 2 more spots because i've been watching this thread for weeks now. and i missed it by one hour because me and my girlfriend had to go and pick up her damn roommate.
Cosplays for Fanime 2009
- Sei from Burst Angel
- Sailor Mars
- Yoruichi from Bleach
- Lolita
- Rave/Dance Outfit

Eh!  It is what it is.  The contest always fills up fast.   :D  I'll just set my hopes for the at-cons sign ups.  I already told my friend we're camping out in front of the Karaoke room.  I'm driving so she has no say.  MWAHAHAHA!  Anybody wanna join me?  Just look for the psycho Chinese girl.  That'll be me.  ^-^

PrincessCake

Cosplays for Fanime 2009
- Sei from Burst Angel
- Sailor Mars
- Yoruichi from Bleach
- Lolita
- Rave/Dance Outfit