What's the Best Way to Get a Series More Fans?

Started by angelidollinda, May 08, 2009, 05:16:47 PM

angelidollinda

I was thinking about his the other day. I'm really into a series called Lupin III, which used to air on Adult Swim a few years back but was taken off the air after 25+ episodes were shown (and Geneon dubbed 79 episodes before the company went down the drain). It's a great series, but no one seems to know about it (or care about it) any more, which makes me wonder:

What's the best way for a (somewhat)unknown series to gain a bigger fan base? Word-of-mouth? Internet memes? Discuss.

LordKefka

There is a difference between unknown series and series that have already been popular in the past but is no longer talked about as much (Lupin)...
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

PyronIkari

Quote from: angelidollinda on May 08, 2009, 05:16:47 PM
I was thinking about his the other day. I'm really into a series called Lupin III, which used to air on Adult Swim a few years back but was taken off the air after 25+ episodes were shown (and Geneon dubbed 79 episodes before the company went down the drain). It's a great series, but no one seems to know about it (or care about it) any more, which makes me wonder:

What's the best way for a (somewhat)unknown series to gain a bigger fan base? Word-of-mouth? Internet memes? Discuss.

You want to get a series that is over three decades old popular?

Hint: It's still popular and considered one of the major milestones in anime history. The comic is still popular, and they're making a special this season of Lupin the III vs Detective Boy Conan.

Momoi's favorite series of all time, and one of the most respected character of all times.

mDuo13

Well, to be fair, Lupin III is still ridiculously popular and well-known in Japan, but here in the states, it gets a lot less attention. I don't think there's much to be done in that regard aside from watching the show yourself and maybe encouraging your friends who haven't to do so.

PyronIkari

Quote from: mDuo13 on May 09, 2009, 01:34:58 PM
Well, to be fair, Lupin III is still ridiculously popular and well-known in Japan, but here in the states, it gets a lot less attention. I don't think there's much to be done in that regard aside from watching the show yourself and maybe encouraging your friends who haven't to do so.

Because it's 3 decades old...

DentyneIce408

It's actually really popular in the Phillippines, they even made a live action series for it! Maybe if they remastered the anime people may think it's new, like what Disney does to there movies.
- Shall I leave my mark whether it's good or bad?
- As long as people remember me famous or infamous,
- I  will remain and roam in this world Alive or Dead.

MaruChan

Telling more people about it. That's what I do.
If cosplaying was life, I would be so many nationalities and ages.

Yamitard

Quote from: PyronIkari on May 08, 2009, 09:47:59 PM

Hint: It's still popular and considered one of the major milestones in anime history. The comic is still popular, and they're making a special this season of Lupin the III vs Detective Boy Conan.

Momoi's favorite series of all time, and one of the most respected character of all times.

Halko Momoi?

PyronIkari

Quote from: Yamitard on July 21, 2009, 12:34:37 AM
Quote from: PyronIkari on May 08, 2009, 09:47:59 PM

Halko Momoi?

No, Sanchez Momoi... ... ..

AnimeEmperor

Considering that Lupin III is one of the most famous and most recognizable anime's there is i'm surprised it's used as an example.

However I would say that simply the best way for an anime to get more fans is....to be good. Good anime's will always have fans. Now if you want to help it along, then just spread the word to the people you know. And if it's good the fans will keep growing.

BunofGovt

word of mouth helps.  tell your friends, enemies, strangers, etc.  if you are a member of an anime club, see if you can show an ep or two at a meeting.  but please do NOT be gushing or overenthusiastic about it.  be honest in describing it, avoid words like 'awesome' and 'the greatest show evah'.

that's been the biggest turnoff for me, when my friends gush about a series they KNOW I will love just because they love/adore/fantasize about it.  even if it turns out that I like the anime after all, I still have that first negative response to it/their reaction and will delay watching it.   ;D
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Lucifargundam

Videogames... lots and lots of succesful videogames.    .Hack sold alot of games but would have been successful if the story had been more appealing to a larger circle.

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

david

Just have it about ninjas or pirates.  Instant hit.