2009 "Arigatou" style prize distrubution event

Started by Jidai Geki, May 10, 2009, 11:15:46 PM

Would you like to see an "Arigatou" style prize distrubution event at fanime?

Yes
20 (90.9%)
No
0 (0%)
Undecided
1 (4.5%)
Don't Care
1 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: May 19, 2009, 11:15:46 PM

BrightHeart76

Quote from: Jidai Geki on May 17, 2009, 12:15:01 PM
With great disappointment this event has been cancelled due to a serious medical situation with a parental family member.  My attendance at the Con looks doubtful as I will be assisting with out-patient recovery.  This could all change if there are signs of major improvement***... But, only time can tell.

Forgive me for raising all of your hopes, but family comes first regardless... I hope you all understand.
With sincere apologies,
Robert K. (Aka. Jidai Geki or B)

*** If I'm able to attend, I'll conduct the prize distrubution on Sunday, May 24th.  Starting at 11:00a and ending when all prizes are distributed.

I'm sorry to hear your family is having medical problems.  It's very hard when family is ill.  I hope things work out.

Don't worry about the prize stuff, frankly we'll all be fine.  Focus on your family.  I hope things work out and you're able to make it on Sunday just so you can relax a little.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

SimaSeph

Quote from: BrightHeart76 on May 17, 2009, 03:36:04 PM
With great disappointment this event has been cancelled due to a serious medical situation with a parental family member.  My attendance at the Con looks doubtful as I will be assisting with out-patient recovery.  This could all change if there are signs of major improvement***... But, only time can tell.

Forgive me for raising all of your hopes, but family comes first regardless... I hope you all understand.
With sincere apologies,
Robert K. (Aka. Jidai Geki or B)

*** If I'm able to attend, I'll conduct the prize distrubution on Sunday, May 24th.  Starting at 11:00a and ending when all prizes are distributed.

I'm sorry to hear your family is having medical problems.  It's very hard when family is ill.  I hope things work out.

Don't worry about the prize stuff, frankly we'll all be fine.  Focus on your family.  I hope things work out and you're able to make it on Sunday just so you can relax a little.

Agreed. This is perfectly understandable. Your family really should come first, and I'm sure we'll all understand. I hope things get better soon. Take care of your family, and take care of yourself. :)
Fanime 2010: Sima Yi, Sergei Dragunov, and Sephiroth.
A man's life is but 50 years. It is but a dream - an illusion in the great order of things. None given life in this world can escape destruction.

Jidai Geki

Quote from: SimaSeph on May 17, 2009, 03:43:58 PM

Agreed. This is perfectly understandable. Your family really should come first, and I'm sure we'll all understand. I hope things get better soon. Take care of your family, and take care of yourself. :)

Thank you all for your well wishes... My mother was discharged from Kaiser Santa Clara yesterday after a week in a recovery ward... Well, minus one kidney... The other one is only working at 60% efficiency...  the results from cancerous tumors...  One will never no just how valuable a parent is until they get seriously ill... So please, when you get home from FanimeCon, tell your parent or guardian, "Thank you for being there."

On another note, I, being of 1/2 Japanese descent, do not like to give in so easily... And I'll feel bad if I don't even try to meet my commitments... So, I'll be at FanimeCon this weekend, but on a limited schedule...  I would like to conduct a limited test on Sat. (FanimeCon's busiest day)... I know I first said Sun., but I figure that more of you would be there on Sat.  I apologize for the confusion.  This test will be smaller than originally planned... I want to see what kind of reactions I get from the Con attendees.   I will let you all know how it turns out.

Jidai Geki

Well... It didn't go as planned... What I thought would only take an hour or two to do started at 11:00a Sat and ended up finishing at 8:00p Sun. night.  I limited the area of play to the upper concourse of the convention center.  Saturday I patrolled as a Yakuza Yojimbo.  I thought these were easy categories to award (Taking into account non-cosplaying attendees), but they were far from the truth.  As I started the giveaway, it took 45min for someone to ask for a picture of me, then an hour after that to find a manga reader... You kind of get a picture what I went through.  Sunday, I was cosplaying as Tuxedo Kamen and still had problems awarding prizes.  
      As for the winners, the typical response was first skepticism, then disbelief.  I mean telling someone that they just one a prize for reading MANGA, well... They just look at you funny. After explaining what it was for, the response changed to that a con should have more random secret suprise giveaways like this.  This Idea still needs a lot of work, though, but I'm happy with the results of this small test...  On a lighter note, I'm glad not one person yelled out. "Hentai!" then slap me with their Con program.
     The dealers I selected for this test were very helpful to the cause.  Once I explained what I was doing and why I chose their business,they were more than willing to participate.  So thanks to FAR OUT TOYS, PURPLE PLUM/THEANIMESTORE, and NEMU-NEMU for participating and allowing the winners to choose from their variety of merchandise.

Here's a summary of the prize distrubution:The first person found...  
Maido-san Cosplay. (Awarded $20 cash)
Pre-'90s Cosplay.  (Awarded $20 cash)
Tokusatsu Cosplay  (Awarded $25 buying credit @ Nemu-Nemu)
Reading Manga (Awarded $20 cash)
That asked me for a Photo (Awarded $25 buying credit @ PurplePlum/TheAnimeStore)
Drinking a Japanese Beverage (Awarded $20 cash)
To mention the word "Steam-Punk" (Awarded $25 buying credit @ Nemu-Nemu)

Prizes Not Awarded:
(1) $25 buying credit @ Far Out Toys
(1) $20 cash

Not located at Con during Event Window:
Playing a Crimson Nintendo DS
Wearing a Japanese Rush Hat

LordKefka

Do it next year and come to up. I'm the asian with the glasses...oh...crap...-_-;
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor