2009 Fanime Weapons Policy (read first post before posting)

Started by Steve.Young, May 10, 2009, 11:23:43 PM

Steve.Young

What EWU said is exactly correct.

The material of the weapon is one thing, however the realism of it is another.

A SJPD officer would need to be able to correctly identify your weapon as a prop from a distance of 20 feet in dim or bad lighting.

-Steve
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Dagger-6

These rules are only for on-convention grounds?

Is the fountain area outside the front of the building also subject to the convention center rules?

I remember hearing in passing before that you could go out there for pictures where you want to have prop weapons and whatnot that Fanime doesn't allow.

Steve.Young

Technically the fountains are on convention grounds...

But also technically it is public property...

On another technicality, we don't actually schedule rover patrols through that area...

Just saying...
Director of Marketing

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

Dagger-6

Cool, cool.

Just thinking about it because it'd be a shame to not be able to show off a prop that's pretty distinctive to a character, such as the Hellsing or DMC guns, especially if someone put a lot of time into it.

So it's nice to know that if you're outside, you can do what you want keeping in mind it's a public area, and you're responsible for your own actions and the consequences out there.  Just be sure to either leave them in your room when inside the convention center or go straight to the rover area to get them peace bound.

I think I remember this coming up from a discussion about why we don't have a special props/posing area set up.  There's no need to go through the logistics of setting up/staffing it when the pond area out front pretty much fills that niche.  Plus it's nicer looking that the hallways inside. =P

Oh man, I should go to sleep.  I need to pick up Zog tomorrow morning. -.-

Kyra_Maverick

Quote from: AbsolutelyCursed on May 15, 2009, 09:12:07 PM
What about a gun made out of wood with no orange tip or orange paint?
If its possible, I would make an orange ring that you can take on or off. A loop hole has already been discussed, so you'd only need them on when you're actually in the convention center.

AgehaMist

would a plastic baseball bat be ok?
i came home the other day and found that everything in my house was replaced with exact duplicates

ewu

Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on May 16, 2009, 09:40:31 AM
If its possible, I would make an orange ring that you can take on or off. A loop hole has already been discussed, so you'd only need them on when you're actually in the convention center.

umm yah....

Quote from: Steve.Young on May 10, 2009, 11:23:43 PM
non-removable orange tip
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

AbsolutelyCursed

So I should just paint the end of the barrel with a bright color (orange). Correct?

ewu

i believe so, but in the end it is up to the rover that is peace bonding it.

I am not in that dept and this seems to be a borderline case. I would recommend e-mailing them: roversATfanimeDOTcom.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Kyra_Maverick

Quote from: ewu on May 16, 2009, 11:22:09 PM
Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on May 16, 2009, 09:40:31 AM

umm yah....

non-removable orange tip
Ah... I seem to have read past that part.

bopx

what about a clear airsoft gun without the clip? it looks very simmilar to this one: http://www.bbgunworld.com/store/usrimage/cg32043.jpg

ewu

Guns and projectile weapons of any kind are not permitted.  Examples of guns and projectile weapons include, but are not limited to, live guns, live gun replicas, pellet, BB, airsoft, dart, water, blowguns, or crossbows.

Prop/Toys Guns
prop gun possess no moving parts

Please save my time and read steve's post before posting. It is ALL there.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Liquid

Quote from: ewu on May 18, 2009, 12:01:33 AM

Okay, so I have this prop weapon I wanna bring, but I don't know if I can or not. I don't want to have to read the main post. I'm lazy. Here are the details:

It resembles a danger to anyone, including law enforcement, from at least 20 feet away, under most conditions.

It is highly possible that it can physically harm just about anyone or at least cause people to think that it can hurt them.

I have been known to use it in a menacing manner, but I am very skilled with it, so don't worry.

Basically, it's two live guns with moving parts. It shoots real bullets. I attached sharp metal knives to the base of the handles to stab people with (don't worry these fold into the handles.) I also attached a large sword to the barrels to be used as bayonet/gun blade; it is retractable, like a giant switch blade. (When I swing it, it makes light saber sounds.)

The two guns are attached by a large metal chain. This is so that if I run out of bullets and I don't feel like using the sword, I can swing the guns around like nun chucks or a flail\mace. (I can add sharp metal spikes to the outside of the guns for this.)

Attached to my back is a small propane tank. This tank feeds gas via tubes to the base of both guns. This is to be used like a flame thrower. (Think Starcraft Firebat.)

I do plan to conceal these, mostly because I don't want to have to be peace bonded. BUT my real question here is, this all should be fine, right? I have created a composite drawing below. (FYI, I plan to paint the tips of the guns orange, if this helps.)

Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

deonchan

Quote from: Liquid on May 18, 2009, 01:06:43 PM

Okay, so I have this prop weapon I wanna bring, but I don't know if I can or not. I don't want to have to read the main post. I'm lazy. Here are the details:

It resembles a danger to anyone, including law enforcement, from at least 20 feet away, under most conditions.

It is highly possible that it can physically harm just about anyone or at least cause people to think that it can hurt them.

I have been known to use it in a menacing manner, but I am very skilled with it, so don't worry.

Basically, it's two live guns with moving parts. It shoots real bullets. I attached sharp metal knives to the base of the handles to stab people with (don't worry these fold into the handles.) I also attached a large sword to the barrels to be used as bayonet/gun blade; it is retractable, like a giant switch blade. (When I swing it, it makes light saber sounds.)

The two guns are attached by a large metal chain. This is so that if I run out of bullets and I don't feel like using the sword, I can swing the guns around like nun chucks or a flail\mace. (I can add sharp metal spikes to the outside of the guns for this.)

Attached to my back is a small propane tank. This tank feeds gas via tubes to the base of both guns. This is to be used like a flame thrower. (Think Starcraft Firebat.)

I do plan to conceal these, mostly because I don't want to have to be peace bonded. BUT my real question here is, this all should be fine, right? I have created a composite drawing below. (FYI, I plan to paint the tips of the guns orange, if this helps.)

Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

Nina Star 9

Err... odd question.

It's not really a weapon, but would an emptied spraycan be allowed? I assure you that it will be empty so no accidental spraying could occur, and I have seen cosplayers in the past with spraycans, but I'm just making sure that it will be okay. Is there anything else I can do to the can to make sure that it cannot spray besides emptying it (such as gluing the tip so it cannot move)?

short_storiesgl

Quote from: Liquid on May 18, 2009, 01:06:43 PM

Walltext.jpeg

but cool picture.
Dance Staff Second

Liquid

Bah. Nobody appreciates a good long drawn out joke these days. :-\
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

Kyra_Maverick

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Steve.Young

Some people didn't know it was a joke at first and was like...WTF OMG...

I've never had so many IM's and gmail pops regarding something on the forums before lol. *coughs* jemz *coughs*
Director of Marketing

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com