Update Regarding Vocaloid Songs In Karaoke Contest

Started by Hank-KKD, May 11, 2009, 01:12:58 AM

Hank-KKD

After some additional research and discussion, for this year's Karaoke Contest we will allow Vocaloid songs that have been released in Japan on an official CD.

Fan-made or self-made Vocaloid songs are still not allowed.  In case of any dispute as to whether a CD is official or fan-made, CD Japan will be the deciding source. In other words, if the song is on an album that's listed on CD Japan, that's good enough for us.

If you wish to change your song choices as a result of this change, no need to tell us now- just tell us when you check in at the convention.

This change is on experimental basis- we will re-evaluate things after the convention.

AlexL55

YAY!!! Vocaloid songs.

So my next question then is about "official karaokes" for Vocaloid Songs. For example, Supercell by ryo is available from CD Japan. So, songs such as "Melt" and "World is Mine" should be valid entries for the contest, correct? The problem is that the album does not contain any karaoke tracks for any of the songs. However, "official" karaoke tracks do exist online. If you look at the official site for ryo's "World is Mine", it contains a download link that includes the karaoke version of the song. Technically this karaoke track is not fan-made, but it also isn't considered official based on the Fanime Karaoke Contest rules as it has not been officially released in CD format.

Therefore, are we forced to use vocal-damping for vocaloid songs despite the fact that "official" karaokes track do exist?

EDIT: I have an additional question about lyrics for vocaloid songs. Many alternate lyrics online are parodies, but there are a few that have been widely accepted by the vocaloid community. For example, Melt by ryo was officially release in on his Supercell CD. This version contains the female lyrics. Halyosy created male lyrics for the song. He and his band have even made a PV for the song. However, this version of the song has not been officially released on CD. Can those lyrics be used in the contest?

Another example is "World is mine" by Miku(Official by ryo) and Kaito(Unofficial by Anima)

Hank-KKD

Quote from: AlexL55 on May 11, 2009, 09:11:57 AM
YAY!!! Vocaloid songs.

So my next question then is about "official karaokes" for Vocaloid Songs. For example, Supercell by ryo is available from CD Japan. So, songs such as "Melt" and "World is Mine" should be valid entries for the contest, correct? The problem is that the album does not contain any karaoke tracks for any of the songs. However, "official" karaoke tracks do exist online. If you look at the official site for ryo's "World is Mine", it contains a download link that includes the karaoke version of the song. Technically this karaoke track is not fan-made, but it also isn't considered official based on the Fanime Karaoke Contest rules as it has not been officially released in CD format.

If it comes from ryo, it's fine. If it's made by somebody who's not ryo, then no.

EDIT: I have an additional question about lyrics for vocaloid songs. Many alternate lyrics online are parodies, but there are a few that have been widely accepted by the vocaloid community. For example, Melt by ryo was officially release in on his Supercell CD. This version contains the female lyrics. Halyosy created male lyrics for the song. He and his band have even made a PV for the song. However, this version of the song has not been officially released on CD. Can those lyrics be used in the contest?

The official lyrics only.

Chun

Official songs in my opinion would probably be simply the Re:Gratitude CD, the tracks provided in the Hatsune Miku Mixing Box, and associated PSP game (Project Diva) tracks. The rest of the fan community is humongous otherwise.

<Shameless Plug> Alex and Gale I'd love it if you could come to the Vocaloid panel.</Shameless Plug>

~Chun

Su-Cool. There's Not Enough Of It.
Fanime Panelist (Pangya: 2007, 2008; Vocaloid: 2009, 2010)

AlexL55

Darn, I'll have to relearn the female lyrics about pink skirts and makeup then. =(

oh well, I'll just do it at open mic then.

Meirin

The most notable VOCALOID artists I've found to be are livetune (kz), doriko, and of course, supercell (a.k.a. ryo). That being said, most people have only heard of supercell's miku songs in the first place, so the restriction it shouldn't be an issue.

Ryo's songs and miku miku ni shite ageru are the only songs I see at karaoke box/noraebang shops around the Bay Area. ;)
Fanimaid Veteran circa 2009