Artist alley pricing help!

Started by oriphur, May 12, 2009, 06:09:25 PM

oriphur

I've been going to Fanime for 7 years, but never had enough money to spend on artwork so I'd just window shop. I'm totally clueless on prices as I'm getting ready to sell both at Fanime and Expo. My skills are pretty mediocre, especially when it comes to coloring so I know I can't sell for a whole lot.

I was thinking $5 for an 8x10 and $10 for a 13x19, plus a couple handmade books/shirts for $10-30. I'm printing at my university for 2$ and 4$ per print on quality paper. I don't want to lower my profit margin too much because the only way I can go is by earning back my hotel/travel costs (only reason I'm selling this year). Any opinions on the prices?

my lame site

Sorry it's not DA. I'm gonna work on getting mine updated eventually since everyone uses it...

There's a yellow tint to my pics on my school's pc, hopefully they don't look yellow to you. There's more non-yaoi stuff that I'm going to sell, not finished with em yet so they're not posted ;p

JTchinoy

How much are you paying to be in artist alley?
How many prints do you plan to supply of each paper?
And how much are you aiming to take home as profit?

I'm a business major so I'd only be offering advice based on numbers and equations.  =)

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

unicorn_lord

Quote from: JTchinoy on May 12, 2009, 06:51:37 PM
How much are you paying to be in artist alley?
How many prints do you plan to supply of each paper?
And how much are you aiming to take home as profit?

I'm a business major so I'd only be offering advice based on numbers and equations.  =)
I'm drawing everything when I get there. no prints to speak of for me.

Roguethe

For line art, I'd pay 8-10 for a commission from you.
:)
Maybe 12-15 depending on the detail.

I draw sometimessss

Pengin-san

Umm.  I'm sorry.  But your art is gorgeous and you should be proud.

In all honesty, I would seriously pay $15 for a comission by you.  Not only that, but your colored stuff is spiffy too!  I'll have to keep an eye out for you ; D.  Can't wait to see you there.

EDIT:  For pricing of the coloring, none of that is worth under $20.
I'm hosting a panel this year!  Come check out Visual Kei: More Than Music!  It will be filled with fun, glamor, and sheer awesome music!

imoto

umm i have to agree with Pengin-san
your work is very very nice and i would say to stick to the 8-10 range for line art and up for colors and commissions
good luck well see you at fanime ^.~

oriphur

Quote from: Rogue-Ayanami on May 12, 2009, 07:56:48 PM
Quote from: Pengin-san on May 12, 2009, 08:58:52 PM

In all honesty, I would seriously pay $15 for a comission by you.  Not only that, but your colored stuff is spiffy too!  I'll have to keep an eye out for you ; D.  Can't wait to see you there.

Quote from: imoto on May 13, 2009, 11:46:07 AM
your work is very very nice and i would say to stick to the 8-10 range for line art and up for colors and commissions

Any suggestions on how many prints to bring? I'm working on some fetish girls like a maid, nurse, loli etc. along with some yaoi pieces for the girls so I figure they're probably all going to be selling at the same rate. I think I'll have 15 pieces all together, so maybe 5 of each size?

For on site commissions, I was going to just bring my trusty pen, but should I bring my copics to slap on some quick color as well?

SukebeStudios

Wow...I think your artwork may be as good if not better than my favorite artist at the alley, David Wong. How can I find your table, I'm bring money and I promise to buy a comission from you!!

imoto

Quote from: oriphur on May 14, 2009, 02:36:18 PM
Quote from: Rogue-Ayanami on May 12, 2009, 07:56:48 PM
Quote from: Pengin-san on May 12, 2009, 08:58:52 PM

Quote from: imoto on May 13, 2009, 11:46:07 AM

Any suggestions on how many prints to bring? I'm working on some fetish girls like a maid, nurse, loli etc. along with some yaoi pieces for the girls so I figure they're probably all going to be selling at the same rate. I think I'll have 15 pieces all together, so maybe 5 of each size?

For on site commissions, I was going to just bring my trusty pen, but should I bring my copics to slap on some quick color as well?

i vote you bring a printer along and keep it in your hotel room and print on demand ^.~
but thats just what i would do if i was gonna sell prints

and yes bring everything you need to do commissions they sell better than prints do

also cauz i have to say it, any explicit materlas (anything 18+ or implying 18+) needs to be kept in a binder and you have to check id's. as well as any nudity must be covered (people usualy do this with sticky notes) and if any of the aa staff things something you have on disply is innaproprate we will ask you to slip it into that 18+ binder ^.~

~ Stacy
AA Head

unicorn_lord

what kinda of printer do you have?

oriphur

Quote from: unicorn_lord on May 14, 2009, 06:13:53 PM
what kinda of printer do you have?

Epson Stylus Photo 2200 at school, and a Canon iP6700D at home.

oriphur

i vote you bring a printer along and keep it in your hotel room and print on demand ^.~

and yes bring everything you need to do commissions they sell better than prints do

also cauz i have to say it, any explicit materlas (anything 18+ or implying 18+) needs to be kept in a binder and you have to check id's. as well as any nudity must be covered (people usualy do this with sticky notes) and if any of the aa staff things something you have on disply is innaproprate we will ask you to slip it into that 18+ binder ^.~

~ Stacy
AA Head

Already planning on having 2 separate binders for explicit images, though I don't think I'll have any actual nudity... mainly just filtering the bl from the normal stuff. My bl stuff isn't cutesy enough for kids to look at.

imoto

hehe i trust you ^.~
just be aware that we will be looking
cant wait to meet you at con
~ Stacy
AA Head

Quote from: oriphur on May 14, 2009, 10:53:28 PM

~ Stacy
AA Head

Already planning on having 2 separate binders for explicit images, though I don't think I'll have any actual nudity... mainly just filtering the bl from the normal stuff. My bl stuff isn't cutesy enough for kids to look at.

jAded

Since you'll be there for the full convention, I would bring more than 5 of each size. I've found in my experience that people like to spend on the smaller things. But like somebody said, if you're not completely sure, better be safe to bring your files and a printer (or be prepared to go to a print shop to make more prints 8D ) in the case that you do run out.

As for on site commissions, bring your copics. (: At least you'll have the option to add color to commissions and be able to offer more than one type of commission. Looking at your art (I've seen it before & your art is gorgeous), I'm sure you're going to do fine. You'll probably turn a nice profit. I'll be sure to make it out of my table and come say hello. (:

macaulayman

Nevr been tyher so I don't know But, Most large hoptels have a business center with a printer. Maybe you could bring a thumb drive and use thiers.

imoto

Quote from: macaulayman on May 17, 2009, 09:42:38 AM
Nevr been tyher so I don't know But, Most large hoptels have a business center with a printer. Maybe you could bring a thumb drive and use thiers.

they have horribal printers and crappy paper >.<

unicorn_lord

Quote from: jAded on May 16, 2009, 03:51:32 AM

Since you'll be there for the full convention, I would bring more than 5 of each size. I've found in my experience that people like to spend on the smaller things. But like somebody said, if you're not completely sure, better be safe to bring your files and a printer (or be prepared to go to a print shop to make more prints 8D ) in the case that you do run out.

As for on site commissions, bring your copics. (: At least you'll have the option to add color to commissions and be able to offer more than one type of commission. Looking at your art (I've seen it before & your art is gorgeous), I'm sure you're going to do fine. You'll probably turn a nice profit. I'll be sure to make it out of my table and come say hello. (:
I don't own copics, but I have color pencils. I'm actually someone better with them then markers.