Anyone else feel lonely or got the blues?

Started by Purplebeaver, May 25, 2009, 11:07:42 AM

Purplebeaver

I was wondering if I was the only one who, during the last day, had no one to hang out with, no one to talk to, nowhere to go? I tried a means of meeting some people here and I was up til 5am in one spot waiting to see if anyone would come chat it up with me.

I'm just hoping I wasn't the only one who felt alone and depressed. =/    the whole event kicked ass, until Sunday night where I just had no one to be with.

HarpB

Maybe you should have attened "How to talk to girls"

adidurr

Or it's just a sign that fanimecon was a blast! 

AnimeEmperor

I'm always a bit lonely, i've seriously wanted to go to "How to talk to  girls" a bunch of times, but it always conflicts with something that has robots....

questionette

....seriously?

All it takes is a "hello" and you've just met a BRAND NEW NEVER BEFORE SEEN PERSON! 95% of people that are at fanime want to meet new people too, but they aren't always going to go out of their way to reach out to you...take some initiative.

I attended fanime alone, but wasn't alone when I didn't want to be.  It doesn't take that much effort.

PoisonFish

While there is quite a bit of fear of meeting new people, remember, If it doesn't work out talking to them, you only have until the next fanime where you don't have to awkwardly walk into them again.

Besides that, realistically fanime is a social event. Even with people who come in large groups, one goal for a majority of individuals is to run into others to meet. Be it one from the hug crowd that lines the way to the dealers hall, to just a few people playing a board game. So as long as they aren't in transit or are fairly static where they are, striking up a conversation is a fine idea if your feeling a bit ronery.

Tsu

I must agree. People at the con, without fail, are always friendly. Whether it's someone starting up a conversation in an over-packed elevator or a hug on the concourse, most of the people you encounter would be happy to chat, even if it turns out you don't have particularly similar interests.  But hell, at an anime con, the odds of that are reduced dramatically.  Sorry you felt lonely, though.  I was personally surprised to still see so many people around on Monday.  Last year it felt like a ghost town by checkout...
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

Purplebeaver

I tried to attend the several nerd-talk-to-girls panels but they were always full.

I was going through a fit of depression on Sunday primarily because I had some 15yr old mock me for still being single; at the time it didn't bug me because it was all in good fun while waiting for the Pokemon tournie to start, but I think that fact, losing the tournie, then the simplicity of not having any other event to go to to (totototo) keep my mind off it, everything seemed to just pool up and hit me.

Went back to my hotel to kill some time and ended up lost in thought for five hours in bed, moping. A friend came by and got me back into the fold of things, we went to go get something that would induce happiness, but it didn't work and just seemed to have the opposite effect, keeping me awake until 5am in the dining area.

I wasn't quite sound of mind and posted on Craigslist on the random chance of someone even checking.

So yeah, I had an awesome time at Fanime until things went downhill, I wasn't myself Sunday/Monday. x.x;

I partook of many hugs and conversations with random people, because yeah, Fanime was a gathering of my people; another possible reason I may have gotten down was because the last Fanime I attended was in the early-mid nineties. I was so not used to big groups of people, so I think I may have just had an anxiety attack or something.

Can't wait to come back next year though, thinking of going as child-eating Totoro. =D

codex biblio

This was my first Fanime and I went alone. I didn't even have roommates since I like having a room to myself. And I knew no one and really didn't go out of my way to talk to people. (I was more in observation mode) And I never felt lonely.

The nice thing about big gatherings is that you can be as social or anti-social as you want. There's so many people and activities going on that the choice is really up to you.

To the OP, it sounds like your depression was more of a personal issue with self-esteem or life issues and not really con-related. I hope you feel better at the next con, but that you choose to enjoy it more and not dwell on things that get you down.

SOawesomeness

Maybe you should staff in a department that sticks in a group, like infodesk or something. Usually you can make friends with a lot of people if you stay there for a while. ^^

I know that if in Reg (haha) and either worked in at-con or printing, it's super easy to make friends there. :D
And if in doubt, always volunteer if you have extra time on your hands and find yourself feeling lonely. ^^

I staff cos I don't really like Anime but I love to meet new people and see old friends.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

XpHoBiaX

I get a little bummed when I am aimlessly wandering by myself. :'(
I may join rovers, or staff so I can avoid downtimes like that.
Although this year, I couldn't avoid being recognized by my hair. (dreads FTW!)

2010 cosplay...?
Zero:80% Kadaj:?? Sisen:??

Dagger-6

Working on staff or volunteering is a great way to meet people, and I highly recommend it.  Also, feel free to just say hi if it looks like we're not terribly busy.  It's always nice to take a short break from staring at badges all day and meet a congoer for a few seconds.

And yes, XpHoBiaX is very, very recognizable.  I only saw one or two odd pictures from you on the forums, but every time I passed by, I thought "Hey, I know that person.  They're on the forums".  Except for about the 20th time I passed by at which point I thought, "Hey, I know that person.  I really need to stop thinking the same things in my head over and over."

Rainbow Ichi

I was a li'l lonely too, as I was just by myself all thru the con of friday and sunday (cousin came over saturday) but oh wells. My first Black and White ball attendance was nice, but I'm not too overly happy with it, especially that it was hard to ask guys/girls to dance with me (im a girl) plus I sucked at the dancing part, especially if you only attended 2 of the dance lessons out of the other dance lessions =_=
"Brevity is the Soul of the Wit"
"Pen and Sword in accord"

Rainbow Ichi's DeviantART Page:
http://rainbow010101.deviantart.com

SOawesomeness

I <3d the BWB. Went with friends and a date but ended up dancing with 4 other guys (srsly, all ya gotta do is look bored and not be in a group. o: ) and I went to two of the lessons as well, but it turned out that my date and a few other guys I danced with had to re-teach me which they didn't seem to mind too much of.
Ellie S.
Head of Registration
FanimeCon - "By Fans, For Fans"
FanmeCon: Twitter | Facebook

KillingYouGuy

I went with friends, but whenever I was at one of the dances I managed to meet some lovely lady.

OP - it is as easy as just saying hello, nine times out of ten. Hell, I asked a girl who I had never spoken to before to B&W by asking her what her favorite color was, and then following up by asking her. You can be a weirdo here- people get you for it.
I am great! :D

Jon-Jon

Yea, i was feeling rely down too on Monday. It was later in the day when they had started shutting everything down, and all my new friends had left :'(
But i got threw it and attempted to make the best of it javascript:void(0);

Dagger-6

There were so many girls just sitting along the wall of the B&W while guys sat along their wall...come on people!  I'm stuck working the whole time, what's your excuse? =P

Jon-Jon

Quote from: trooper715 on May 27, 2009, 08:56:36 PM
There were so many girls just sitting along the wall of the B&W while guys sat along their wall...come on people!  I'm stuck working the whole time, what's your excuse? =P

Excuse? i dont need one, i danced with alllllll the ladies :P

Dagger-6

Lucky you.  I spent half an hour just staring at two doors because we thought people were going in and out of them.  :'(

I did kind of do a little silly boogie dance thingy with a girl in a pretty dress who was resting by the door. ^^

The night was saved when Liquid said he could handle the entrance by himself and I got to take pictures of the Guests of Honor dancing all night. =D

But yeah, standing around staring at the doors, I was counting the number of ladies sitting around vs the number of gents...odds were definitely in the guys' favor.  Wish I had time to take the dance lessons and relax for a bit....well, maybe if they end up holding classes on Day 0 next year.

Raydere

Ray sometimes gets nervous trying to say hi to people that he finds to be cute. What if he scares him/her away?
Raydere / Raymoo, purveyor of crazy Japanese music games
Twitter: @Raydere | Tumblr: raydere2