Fanime 2009 Convention Feedback

Started by darkknightcecil, May 25, 2009, 04:42:12 PM

KitsuneOniko

Quote from: idontknow on May 31, 2009, 04:30:25 AM
Quote from: KitsuneOniko on May 30, 2009, 09:44:06 PM
Quote from: idontknow on May 25, 2009, 09:51:56 PM
Quote from: Tez Ryu on May 25, 2009, 09:32:50 PM
I REALLY dislike how our names are in bright white, large and on the top of the passes. Then our fan names were tiny and blue at the bottom? Does everyone really need to know your name? A bit of privacy would have been nice...

I got harassed a bit much (especially by this one really drunk guy) and I'd hate to think that anyone got away with my name...:/

i agree with the fan/real name on the badge thing. i mean, WHY even put a fan name if no one will notice it?? if you compare between the early and pre registration people, the fan name is more noticable on the early registration.

swap meet was good. although i would like to suggest someone to "enforce" spots. there was a big empty spot behind me so it would be easy just for someone to bring stuff, set it down, and start selling without letting fanimecon staff know.

not really a big deal but i think there should be more people "guarding" the artist alley. i left my artist alley booth early and left most of my stuff under the table. when i came back to get them there were 3 girls sitting at my table. i wasn't even at the end of the row and artist alley was still open. i really didn't mind them sitting there and if they stole something (they didn't, btw) i would of course blame myself for leaving it there. but it kind of showed me that the "only artists and/or their peers are allowed behind the table" policy isn't enforced.

at the stage zero today i thought one of the hosts wasn't really a "good" host. i'm sorry if you read this but this is what i think (feel free to bash me). i won't specifically say who but she kind of took things to the center and didn't really seem considerate about the people playing "jan ken pon". she wanted to use the players to demonstrate an example when they clearly didnt know how to play. when the other host said "no we should demonstrate it for them" she simply said "but it's funnier this way" or something like that. this is just one of the examples.

music selection at fanime ball. i already stated it in another post :P

i LOVE that there were so many kids and families this year. so many cute kid cosplays! (and no i'm not a pedo. haha)

so in general there were cons but they were for more "specific" things. i thought this fanimecon was a success :D

My apologies about that... this year @ Stage Zero, us original four hosts from the last 4-5 years were doin our best lol... we had A LOT of new on stage personalities being tried out this year. It's not their fault as they're new and were tryin out the ropes so to speak ^^; A lot of them aren't used to bein on stage  yet but hopefully they learned a lot and continue to grow with experience in with interacting with us original hosts/crew and the audience better :D

that's fine, hopefully her and any hosts auditioning for stage zero next year will improve :D i believe in you guys!! :D :D haha

Thanks ^^ After the craziness and seeming TONS of trial and error this past Fanime I think us OC Stage Zero hosts will probably be a lil more tougher with future try outs n what not... most anyone can just get up on stage n talk (or not XD) but it's the fact that CAN they entertain people? Are they exciting and engaging the masses? Are they able to work well and feed off of the original hosts like me and Wendell and Seanie AND our stage crew? Basically are they a crowd pleaser AND a team player? ^^
Fanime Volunteer 2003-2004
Fanime Dealership Staff 2005-2006
Fanime Live Programming Staff 2006
Fanime Programing Liaison 2006
Fanime Stage Zero Co-Producer 2006
Fanime Stage Zero Hostess 2007-Present <3

KitsuneOniko

Even as Stage Zero host/staff I have to agree with everyone on the crowd control issue @ our stage... With each year n more and more programming @ our stage I've noticed a massive increase in the numbers of people we attract and who want to see the craziness we have to offer @ Stage Zero. Of course us @ Stage Zero always welcome the masses to come and enjoy the con with us but it has been becoming even slightly also a safety issue lately huh? I remember @ one point during the Lokisa Fashion show we hosted last year that we had to rope off the back because the walkway was becoming crowded and impassable, which is also a fire hazard should there be any mishaps and/or accidents to happen (knock on wood we've been very lucky that no such serious event has ever yet happened @ our beloved con). Just to let everyone know it hasn't gone unnoticed by us and our fellow con staffers and logistics and such... it's a constant work in progress and if you guys have also noticed while the stage has remained mainly in the same place, over the last few years we've been rotating it slightly/turning off center/changing view facings in different directions to try to see what works best for maxium use of spacing for our stage set up, equipment, and audience sitting space... if you guys have any other suggestions please send them over to Wendell NacNac or Sean Barber of our Stage Zero producing crew... it be much appreciated... tho also keep in mind we too are also under budget and convention space union rules and etiquette so not ever suggestion might be doable ^^;

Another thing I have to agree with all of you is the signage soliciting and the hug me/glomp me lines and ppl... We want everyone to have a good fun time @ con but remember ppl that safety, consideration/respect is always a must despite! While most of the staff usually don't mind the every so often friendly joking signs, remember that the city of San Jose does...and depending on what the signage says, can be considered soliciting.

A lot of us staff were talking about signs over the years that @ first seemed harmless but did amount to a few union rules and safety issues being brought up... the "What would you do for Pocky?" signs were silly fun... until we had catgirls and catboys suddenly suggestively dancing ON TOP of con tables and equipment... I have to bring up this matter because the space and equipment we use @ con actually belongs to the convention hall management ppl... NOT US... so we are liable for any damage and accidents that may occur due to such incidents... so for your safety please if you must "dance" for Pocky, preferably on solid safe ground? lol Please respect their convention hall space and equipment... They are nice enough to let us use and rent it every year so we can have our wonderful convention ^^ That also being mentioned... please NEVER tape or use stickers for your signs up on any of the column posts and/or walls of the convention space because like I just said... that's the convention hall's property... as we say in the staff meetings... If it ain't your's and especially if it's not union approved... don't put tape or stick anything on it please!

Also on the topic of hugging and glomping... it's all good natured fun for most but remember to be RESPECTFUL about it too! Just because someone or a group of people also REFUSE to hug/glomp back doesn't mean you should be rude and insult them back... This con is meant to be a fun and comfortable environment for all who attend it. Tackle glomps were also a safety issue on many occassions... Need a remind some fellow con goers and fellow staffers of a few small incidents we've had throughout past years? Was talking with some of my friends who are also staff and we were reminded that one year a random otaku tackle glomped a Yuna cosplayer out of no where (no, they didn't know each other) which caught her off balance and her staff prop hit another group of people & cosplayers who just happen to be walking past at that same moment? A lot of our extremely dedicated cosplayers often carry heavy props and put A LOT of hard work into their costumes to proudly show off and share with us all every year and I am sure would be very upset if it were to get ruined in one blow by an infamous flying tackle glomp... Not just cosplayers but regular attendees also get bothered by inappropriate glompage... Now I know A LOT of people want to say that they got to hug/glomp a bunch of cute girls and guys during con but remember to be considerate of the "receiving" person and/or party... I get several complaints and concerns from many of my younger new staffers and friends that attend these cons (especially if it's their first time @ a con) that they feel uneasy about these kinds of things (especially because they're new to this high "hug/glomp" environment guys!). In fact... my friend Steph, whose 1st Fanime Con was this one was just walking around and trying to find me as she borrowed my sunglasses earlier that day, wanted to return them to me and right before she found me @ my stage, out of no where a "creepy fat" otaku came flying out and pretty much tackle glomped her from behind or the side from what I was told... Now she is a very cute asian girl and I know a lot of guys want to hug cute asian girls @ this con but please be mindful of how these things can be taken! Not only was she made uncomfortable but also my E3 sunglasses were broken/crushed in his "embrace"... NOT COOL... While she was a little more lenient and let this one slide... other people @ our con don't let things like that go as easily... in fact during another incident I had to step in because it involved some of my younger minor new staff we had to eventually call in the San Jose PD to ban this guy off the con site because he had made my staffers very uncomfortable to the point that the girls were nervous and near scared to tears. I know many glompers/huggers are quite persistent to get their glomp hugs but YOU DO NOT pursue the "target" if they are obviously not feeling comfortable.... This guy FOLLOWED my girls all the way to their hotel room and floor! He kept trying to talk to them and engage them in conversation when they obviously were busy and trying to walk away... what's more he then reached out to grab and held one of the girls, hugging/glomping her and wouldn't let go of her even after her repeated "please let me go"... Turns out later also he didn't even have a badge at all of any sorts, was telling ppl he was "press" when he wasn't and taking random shots of people throughout con (which he tried to show the girls too)... I am going to stress this:

INAPPROPRIATE AND UNWANTED TOUCHING OF ANY KIND (INCLUDING GLOMPS AND HUGS) CAN BE CLASSIFIED AS SEXUAL HARASSMENT

I am not saying there is anything wrong with glomping and hugging... Heck, even us friends and staff like the occassional glomp n hug ^_^ BUT please be respectful and considerate... as much as possible, especially if you don't know the other person or persons, please ASK if it's alright with them ok? We want everyone to enjoy their time @ Fanime Con so in order for that we need to look out for each other and everyone around us too. Remember that Fanime is "By Fans, For Fans"... We can have our fun but be safe and mindful and remember that not everyone will respond to certain things the same way... you wouldn't want your con time ruined and cut short because someone made you feel violated or because you were accused of sexual harassment by another attendee(s) despite your good intention and good natured joking...
Fanime Volunteer 2003-2004
Fanime Dealership Staff 2005-2006
Fanime Live Programming Staff 2006
Fanime Programing Liaison 2006
Fanime Stage Zero Co-Producer 2006
Fanime Stage Zero Hostess 2007-Present <3

Ayanami Rei First Child

I want to say while I don't really mind the signs...I DO agree that NOBODY should be FORCED to participate! ALWAYS ask about hugging/glomping people FIRST! I remember seeing one guy who would hug people on sight, WITHOUT anyone's permission! That is NOT cool and it makes people FEEL BAD! This Con is about FUN! So if you have a sign, USE COMMON COURTESY!!

Also I'd let to give a shout out to Mr. Wendell for making an AWESOME Stage Zero!

I also want to give a shoutout to the staff that did an UNofficial Cosplay Jesus panel. That was rather interesting with the Q&A and I'm curious to know about the suggestion made about making it official for next year...

jinnai_animexcalibur

Quote from: Ayanami Rei First Child on June 01, 2009, 01:20:24 AM
I want to say while I don't really mind the signs...I DO agree that NOBODY should be FORCED to participate! ALWAYS ask about hugging/glomping people FIRST! I remember seeing one guy who would hug people on sight, WITHOUT anyone's permission! That is NOT cool and it makes people FEEL BAD! This Con is about FUN! So if you have a sign, USE COMMON COURTESY!

Next year, I'll just have a sign that says "No."

Simle as that. :3
Official Katsuhiko Jinnai Myspace Page

Katsuhiko Jinnai "The Anime Convention Experience" - NEW ORIGINAL CD - COMING SUMMER 2009.

AnimE'xcalibur/Shinoda Sound Recordings

www.shinodasound.com

Jerry

Quote from: jinnai_animexcalibur on June 09, 2009, 02:58:03 PM

sounds like something Registration that should put into the bag of goodies when you get your badge...

i could see it now, everyone carrying little speech bubble like signs that basically say [ Yes , bubble says DO WANT ] or  [ NO, bubble says DO NOT want ]

i wonder if publications as the budget for throwing that into the fanime goodie bag :P
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Stormfalcon

Quote from: Jerry on June 09, 2009, 03:20:10 PM
Quote from: jinnai_animexcalibur on June 09, 2009, 02:58:03 PM

sounds like something Registration that should put into the bag of goodies when you get your badge...

i could see it now, everyone carrying little speech bubble like signs that basically say [ Yes , bubble says DO WANT ] or  [ NO, bubble says DO NOT want ]

i wonder if publications as the budget for throwing that into the fanime goodie bag :P

IIRC, this was discussed before and was shot down because it would imply some level of approval of the huggers/glompers on the part of Fanime, and thus inviting a legal mess as a result.
My Cosplay Photography gallery, including FanimeCon 2001-2014:
http://stormfalcon.smugmug.com/CosplayPhotography

My DeviantArt Page:
http://stormfalcon.deviantart.com

marisuga

Only complaint I really have is that the panel descriptions were in alphabetical order. I wish they would have been put in the order that they were happening. Also, it seemed like not all the panels even HAD a description in the program...

I also kind of wish that people could enter the masquerade even if they didn't make their costumes (as long as they didn't try to get a workmanship award) I know some other cons that allow this...

PyronIkari

Quote from: souseiseki on June 25, 2009, 07:34:23 AM
Only complaint I really have is that the panel descriptions were in alphabetical order. I wish they would have been put in the order that they were happening. Also, it seemed like not all the panels even HAD a description in the program...

I also kind of wish that people could enter the masquerade even if they didn't make their costumes (as long as they didn't try to get a workmanship award) I know some other cons that allow this...

The issue with this is that they only have so much time for the masquerade and by allowing "anyone" to enter the already limited slots... it may cause people that want to enter for craftsmanship to not be allowed to enter. This is one of those things that exist so that the people that really do work on their stuff can be recognized over someone that just wants to enter. Doesn't always work out like that, but that's the idea.

Vensy

I know this has been mentioned in the thread, but I want to put extra emphasis on it....

nickname should be larger than your real name on the badge!  I don't like people knowing my real name because I'm paranoid about it... >w< so the fact that my real name was so large and my nickname did not like overpower it.. yea... ;w;...
Go to http://vensy.net for cosplay and art updates! :3
2011 Cosplay: Miku Hatsune, Flandre Scarlet, Black Gold Saw, Suika Ibuki~~[/center]

apsykes

Pros: First Con Expirence: Excellent!
Allowed to stay overnight in convention center floor XD (NO SLEEP FTW!)

Cons: Initial D 4 Systems Kept Crashing!
I TALK LIKE A TOYOTA, I DON'T WANNA STOP!

Jelly Soup

Huh. I looked for this topic after the convention last year, but couldn't find it. Obviously I've found it now, so I'll go ahead and voice my single complaint:

In the Friday reg line, there was one particular staff member who was waddling around barking orders and snapping her fingers for attention at just about everyone in line (one guy she snapped at looked like he was seconds from decking her). I'm sorry, but that is just flat out inappropriate behavior, especially so when a hostile environment is being created. As a staff member, you are there to help things go as smoothly as possible, ensuring that everyone (including yourself) has a great weekend....not power trip.