eGaming. Pre-2009 - Early-2010 Preparation Setup

Started by xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi), May 25, 2009, 05:34:27 PM

Xepherian

Alright u guyz. I'll bring my Xbox360 setup along with all my rockband stuff if you guys promise not to break/lose anything, kk deal?

-VIRUS-

Quote from: abcbadcat on May 25, 2009, 06:32:14 PM
I'm sorry but the SFIV tourney was a cluster-#*$&.

Standing around for four hours?
Getting into the third round w/o fighting once?

This seriously needs to be worked on for next year.
well look how many ppl we had over 100 plus ppl for that tournament. And keep this in mind we almost max out with 128 ppl. yes it was a long tournament.
<br /><br />IDV4 #1 Irohazaka Driver in the USA<br />Cappuccino Irohazaka DH dry 2\\\'44\\\'017 #1 USA Record, Irohazaka Reverse dry 2\\\'50\\\'064 #1 USA Record.<br />MR2 FT Irohazaka DH dry 2\\\'45

abcbadcat

Quote from: soakrates` on May 26, 2009, 09:37:50 PM
- Try to get more CRTs for fighting games. A lot of the HDTVs there had an assload of input lag.

- Logik is right about the lack of a Soulcalibur IV tourney. When the game was running, people were playing it almost 'round the clock. Hard to believe there wasn't enough demand for a proper tournament.

I was mentioning a SCIV tourney for at least a month prior to Fanime and I got nothing.

I used to be decent at SCIV but I got rocked this weekend but that just makes me want to get better for next year.

As for imput lag, I think the 360s needed to be calibrated on the console for HD and the AV adapters set to HDTV. (I don't know if any of the setups were running on HDMI or not)

soakrates`

Quote from: -VIRUS- on May 26, 2009, 10:03:48 PMwell look how many ppl we had over 100 plus ppl for that tournament. And keep this in mind we almost max out with 128 ppl. yes it was a long tournament.
There might have been that many sign-ups, but there were a TON of no-shows, which led to lots people waiting around for a very long time while byes were handed out like candy. I realize that the organizers can't force people to show up to their tourneys, but I think at least some of this could have been alleviated had they not skipped the check-in process.

Quote from: abcbadcat on May 26, 2009, 10:35:45 PM
I was mentioning a SCIV tourney for at least a month prior to Fanime and I got nothing.

I used to be decent at SCIV but I got rocked this weekend but that just makes me want to get better for next year.

As for imput lag, I think the 360s needed to be calibrated on the console for HD and the AV adapters set to HDTV. (I don't know if any of the setups were running on HDMI or not)
PS3 is the current standard for SC4 tourneys because it's the preferred platform for pad users. Input lag on LCD and plasma HDTVs (I'm not sure about CRT HDTVs) is pretty much a fact of life in my experience. Calibration or putting the TV in game mode can help minimize it, but in many cases it is still very detectable.

buzzsaw13

Quote from: soakrates` on May 27, 2009, 05:56:01 AM
Quote from: -VIRUS- on May 26, 2009, 10:03:48 PMwell look how many ppl we had over 100 plus ppl for that tournament. And keep this in mind we almost max out with 128 ppl. yes it was a long tournament.
There might have been that many sign-ups, but there were a TON of no-shows, which led to lots people waiting around for a very long time while byes were handed out like candy. I realize that the organizers can't force people to show up to their tourneys, but I think at least some of this could have been alleviated had they not skipped the check-in process.

It doesn't matter if there was a check-in process or not, even having a full 64 man bracket would have taken hours. You need to cut them some slack.

Logik

- Try to get more CRTs for fighting games. A lot of the HDTVs there had an assload of input lag.
OMG yes, I forgot about that. That brought great frustration to me as it threw off my timing for JFs among other things. Sure some of the less hardcore wouldn't care about such a thing, but I would still prefer it.
"All you can do is keep on keeping on, and try to believe that tomorrrow will be what it should be - even if it isn't what you expected." -Harry Dresden

Chloe

NO SOUL CALIBUR IV TOURNAMENTTTTTT.  Needs some VF too.
Cosplays for '10?  WHO KNOWS!?!

Raydere

Quote from: Logik on May 27, 2009, 09:29:21 AM
OMG yes, I forgot about that. That brought great frustration to me as it threw off my timing for JFs among other things. Sure some of the less hardcore wouldn't care about such a thing, but I would still prefer it.
I'd also like to see a widescreen CRT for IIDX. As I mentioned before, IIDX on a laggy TV is the worst thing in the world. You can use the timing adjustment option to fix this somewhat, but it doesn't do away with the delayed feeling.
Raydere / Raymoo, purveyor of crazy Japanese music games
Twitter: @Raydere | Tumblr: raydere2

soakrates`

Quote from: buzzsaw13 on May 27, 2009, 08:41:16 AMIt doesn't matter if there was a check-in process or not, even having a full 64 man bracket would have taken hours. You need to cut them some slack.
I know it would have taken a long time, regardless. Like I said before, the long waits weren't entirely their fault. I'm just saying things might have gone more smoothly had they tried to get a better idea of how many players would actually show up. This is what I presume the check-in was for before they scrapped it. There were several stretches of time where most of the stations went unused while they were calling out names and eliminating no-shows.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying their job was easy. I had a hard enough time running a 30-man tourney, much less over 100. It just seemed there was a lack of foresight on some things (see my mention of the console characters in an earlier post).

To their credit, the eGaming staff was otherwise pretty helpful. One helped us hook up a PS3 to a CRT when we got sick of playing on the laggy flatscreen monitors (at around 2 in the morning), and they were pretty good about letting me keep my friend's arcade stick for him when he went home without it.

Xepherian

Quote from: soakrates` on May 27, 2009, 03:05:46 PM
To their credit, the eGaming staff was otherwise pretty helpful. One helped us hook up a PS3 to a CRT when we got sick of playing on the laggy flatscreen monitors (at around 2 in the morning), and they were pretty good about letting me keep my friend's arcade stick for him when he went home without it.

I'm just a grunt, I could never do that. I didn't even know how to work a PS3 this year.. because I've never touched one until fanime.
I basically just try to organize shit in e-gaming, only to have it destroyed by the rest hours later. :(

so, never ask me anything regaurding games unless you're checking in or out stuff. (' )(' )

Taokakaftw

I know that Guilty Gear AC was in the arcade venue...

...but not GGAC+!  Next year - if you could be oh so kind - could you help keep the Guilty Gear tournament in tact? 
Nemui nya~su.

outcast

What i noticed is that a lot people huddled around GoW 2 when they set it up. Maybe for next year some one can set up a tourney for it.

otakuapprentice

Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Raydere

Quote from: otakuapprentice on May 29, 2009, 11:15:06 PM
Lack of shmups in the arcade.
Well then again, eGaming had its share of shmups too:
- Gradius 1 (NES), 3 & 4, 5, ReBirth, Gaiden
- Thunder Force 3-6
- Mushihimesama
- Radiant Silvergun
- Ikaruga
- Giga Wing 1 and 2
- and more...
Raydere / Raymoo, purveyor of crazy Japanese music games
Twitter: @Raydere | Tumblr: raydere2

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

Thanks for the feedback so far.  Still jottin all this down in the many pages of "what to do list".  XD

As far as people still bailing out on tournaments, it really can't be helped.  All we can do is reduce the number of no-shows to a minimum.  We'll figure out something for 2010.

As for those who are on the no-show list, we posted this on the forums, the eGaming info screen during FanimeCon, the mic announcements, our discussions with every competitor, multiple print-outs of signs of "please do not leave", and so forth.  We even did a final check-in to ensure that people do show up and those ho don't show up get booted off and get replaced by those on the reserve list...Yet we still get a plenty of no shows.
eGaming Head / FanimeCon, SacAnime, Y-Con, Kintoki-Con, Deceptikon
Tournament Director / AOD
Anime + Gaming Article Lead / GreenTeaGraffiti
Cosplays: Wii Remote, Pink DS Lite

javirimon

hey the tables games es cool but needed more video game for example: The king of fighters, rival schools , ::)ect.

soakrates`

Quote from: xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi) on May 30, 2009, 09:26:42 AMAs for those who are on the no-show list, we posted this on the forums, the eGaming info screen during FanimeCon, the mic announcements, our discussions with every competitor, multiple print-outs of signs of "please do not leave", and so forth.  We even did a final check-in to ensure that people do show up and those ho don't show up get booted off and get replaced by those on the reserve list...Yet we still get a plenty of no shows.
Just for clarification, I am only speaking from my experience in the SFIV tourney. I and quite a few others showed up to check in, and we were told that check-in was canceled to make time for more sign-ups. This is why I think probably more time was spent than necessary eliminating no-shows from the tournament. I can't speak for how the other tourneys went.

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

Quote from: javirimon on May 30, 2009, 09:49:03 AM
hey the tables games es cool but needed more video game for example: The king of fighters, rival schools , ::)ect.

We actually had those in our games list sheet provided in the front desk.  If you checked the list and wasn't listed, we'll definitely take a look upon that.

Some games couldn't be accommodated due to certain stations being used for tournaments.

Quote from: soakrates` on May 30, 2009, 01:56:11 PMJust for clarification, I am only speaking from my experience in the SFIV tourney.

From what the statistics received, the high bailout rate occurred to other tournaments as well.  It's more of a general statement than just one specific tournament.

Quote from: soakrates` on May 30, 2009, 01:56:11 PMI and quite a few others showed up to check in, and we were told that check-in was canceled to make time for more sign-ups. This is why I think probably more time was spent than necessary eliminating no-shows from the tournament.

Hmmm.

Based on the the procedures and announcements ffrom the tournament organizers, due to the overcrowding of the registration desk, we had to move all registries in the back side of eGaming to accomodate last-minute sign-ins so that people signing up for Left 4 Dead and DDR.  Naruto was being taken care of so that's out of the equation.  We barely hit the maximum entry mark (128) for Street Fighter IV.  Then afterwards, it was the check-ins.

I'll take a further look on this.
eGaming Head / FanimeCon, SacAnime, Y-Con, Kintoki-Con, Deceptikon
Tournament Director / AOD
Anime + Gaming Article Lead / GreenTeaGraffiti
Cosplays: Wii Remote, Pink DS Lite

OniCourseMusha

The ddr tourney went pretty good!  Except I decided to bail out due to waiting for the pad to be fixed took so long.  But that's okay I thought the tourney went pretty well and pretty close.  Depending on the schedule I wouldn't mind entering again.

complaints:  Yes I really agree wit the people saying that IIDX running on HDTV was a huge nono.  My friend had that issue wit that couple months ago so I was like "But why did you really do that!?" It was a waste to use such a really nice awesome controller on the tv that gives a huge lag...  But I played it on the non-HDTV machine instead and I had more fun on that one than the one on the HDTV.
FanimeCon E-gaming Room Staff
Kraken Con Staff

Cosplay: DDR Pad/Box, Brain Age, Andross (SNES), Formal Totoro, Master/Crazy Hand

soakrates`

Quote from: xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi) on May 30, 2009, 05:01:39 PMFrom what the statistics received, the high bailout rate occurred to other tournaments as well.  It's more of a general statement than just one specific tournament.
Understood. As long as they did as much as they could to minimize the complications caused by no-shows, I wouldn't even bring it up. I'm not positive it would have made that much of a difference, anyway. Hell, it wasn't even the most annoying part of the tourney for me. But for what it's worth, the crowd that actually showed up didn't even look close to 128 people. Not that I bothered counting.