eGaming. Pre-2009 - Early-2010 Preparation Setup

Started by xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi), May 25, 2009, 05:34:27 PM

Radical edward

Better late then never I guess. Just back from CA and on a working comp with interwebs.
The l4d tourny was a cluster fuck due to miscommunication, it was always set up to be a 2v2 because we didnt have the games for it, but that never got communicated right. We upped it when we found a fourth copy thanks to an awsome con-goer.
RPC was canceled due to lack of show due to fubar.
As for the character bit about SF4, I'm unsure why the extra characters weren't banned anyways because as far as I knew they aren't in the arcade game, but I do agree we need a more dedicated tourny staff (I vote JT! :O Only cause its fun watching him spazz)

I wanna know if we can get more older systems hooked up next year :( I'd love to have a goldeneye tourny yaknow?

Badge-art done by my lovely friend para
I'm not always this stressed I swear... What's sleep?

JTchinoy

lmfao.  I'd enjoy cussing you guys out more if I had a megaphone all weekend.  Provide me a megaphone all weekend next year and I'll gladly disqualify as many people as possible.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Reikon

The L4D tournament was always supposed to be 4v4. We didn't have the equipment for it, but it was originally planned as 4v4. Look at all our planning files. They say 4v4.

And maybe we should work out a deposit system for tournaments. They don't get their money back until they're officially out of the tournament or whatever (or at least tell us they're backing out). It should reduce the amount of random people dropping. Though handling money would make the insanity even worse.
2008-09 E-gaming staff

JTchinoy

i don't think we're allowed to take money nor are we allowed to take their badges.
You'll need a different plan.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

Reikon

2008-09 E-gaming staff

Knightfire

There was no Unreal Tournament from what I saw. What gives?
Starting work for Fanime 2011

AmazingKenchan

Quote from: JTchinoy on June 02, 2009, 12:26:14 AM
lmfao.  I'd enjoy cussing you guys out more if I had a megaphone all weekend.  Provide me a megaphone all weekend next year and I'll gladly disqualify as many people as possible.
This can be arranged... :D
2004-2005 Logistics Staff
2007-2009 eGaming Staff
2010-2012 Arcade Head

Skyline

As long as it doesn't end up in the same state as that air gun... :-X
FanimeCon: eGaming Staff, 2009-2011
Sac-Anime Summer/Winter: Console Game Room Staff, 2009-2011
SNAFU Con: Console Game Room Co-Director, 2010-2011

Polysynchronicity

Quote from: Spiritsnare on May 26, 2009, 09:52:41 PM
Quote from: Skyline on May 26, 2009, 03:33:32 PM
Quote from: kollunz on May 26, 2009, 01:47:10 PM
where was melty blood??

Melty Blood Re-ACT Final Tuned was running periodically on the laptop setup next to IIDX...

To my knowledge, they were playing MBAC PC. I don't see why they'd be playing FT.

That was my copy of Melty Blood Act Cadenza Ver. B 1.03, running off of a Flash drive that I'd brought with me. Next year I'll see if I can swing a laptop so we don't have to borrow the SWR players' laptop.

It seemed pretty popular when I set it up - maybe not enough for a tournament, but I'm pretty sure a station with MBAC running would be fun for a lot of people.

I'll also see if I can swing a copy of Melty Blood Actress Again for next year - either under PCSX2 (which would be nice for the stick and keyboard players) or running on a PS2 if that doesn't work out.

;)

As far as e-gaming in general goes, I didn't enter any tournaments but I really appreciated all the machines that were set up for "free play" - Ikaruga, TGM, the SWR laptop, Beatmania (which I sucked at), etc. Having more of that kind of thing would really be nice.

I'd suggest, though, that games which take a long time per game be discouraged - I know at one point people were playing Left 4 Dead on two of the Xboxes, and those games would go on for an hour or more with only 5-6 people getting turns at the controllers. There's a lot more players than machines and controllers, so games which everyone can take a crack at are great. ;)

Also, more chairs, for the love of God.

ruby19_4

I walked away from the tournament when i first time sign in. I didnt know what kind of lvl will the pokemon suppose to be. Mine pokemon was around lvl 60. I heard from the players that it will be lvl 100 that I need to battle with. Is it true?

Batman77

:) hope I don't sound like a jerk and not sure if someone brought this up already but the left4dead tourny needed major work. I don't know if it was a miscommunication within staff or what but our team had to get in line 2-3 times after signing up to change teams because they kept changing the teams from 4 to 2 to 4 to 2 to 4 again.  ??? That was the start of the frustration. The tourny started late really late and it seemed like the set-up or how the tourny was going to be run was not already set-up or communicated with staff so I don't know what they we're doing for a while but having a good lay out on how the tourny will run before hand would be a big help and time saver and communicate with that with as much staff as possible so it hopefully runs smoother next time. When our team actually got to play I honestly can't remember the time but it was at least 2 hours if not more after from when the tourny was suppose to start.

With all the problems in this tourny our team had like hours before our next match so our 1st match was around 11pm, 2nd match was around 1am, 3rd match was around 3am in the morning  :'( . So our team was tired in our final match and we ether made it to the semi-finals or finals (I don't remember kind of tired around that time of 3am-4am) and then our team got kind of tired because the tourny was so long and late and there were times no team was playing and I honestly have no idea what was going on with staff or whatever the problem was.

Left4dead is a great game and when we actually played the matches they were really fun  ;D but there needs to be some major work on this tourny for next time. I'd recommend more set-ups so it goes faster but I know that's hard to do with xbox 360s and all. Also make sure every game staff member or at least the ones running it know fully whats going on with the tournament b/c getting in line multiple times after signing up is a huge bother. Please start the tourny earlier or put it on a different day or something because I don't think a tourny should run till 4am or later.  :-[

Again this my take on it I'm sure someone else felt the same or similar.

Batman77

:D O another thing was with the smash tournies. I love that fact that you guys had both 1 vs 1 and FFA. I was fun while we actually got to play. But for the FFA tourny needs a little more organization b/c I signed up but was in the tourny and had to use my friends name because was not in it even though I signed up earlier (not sure what happened there). Also I understand there's a lot of people and all and you want them to stay there but the tourny runs for a long time and it would help greatly (for both if not all big tournies at fanime it's self) Please make the brackets visible or turn the computer around every now and then or have another computer for that to show the brackets of the matchs so people have a better idea of when they're up. That way people can see when they're up or at least see if they're some where close to coming up soon so that if they want to use the bathroom or whatever they can do so because they're not up anytime soon at all.

I know you did call the next couple matches before they started which was good but if the people could see the bracket that would help out so much for when people need to go some where else real quick or something. For example is the tournament just started and it's a 128 person bracket and I'm like # 110 or 120 that means I'm not going up or coming close to going up for probably an hour and that could make it so that I can leave and enjoy the convention more  ;D and come back with in an hour my match still might not be ready but I got to enjoy the convention it's self more rather then stay standing in line watching matches for an hour straight till my match starts. If I miss my match when I come back lets say 2 hours later that's on me for not checking back in or looking at the bracket or listening to matchs being called. I think this would help out greatly. I think this would also help out a lot for the Street Fighter 4 tournament and any other tournament at fanime as well.

Also you might want to make a line with chairs or caution tape or something away from the people playing before the tourny starts so that that runs smoother and makes who is playing or on deck more clear.

TC X0 Lt 0X

I must admit that the Tourmanets were slow and ate far too much time.
At the Halo3 Tournament I had to wait a good hour for my second match, and by the 3rd I was so exhausted that I had no wish to win, knowing i would have to wait another half hour. I missed many panels I wished to go to because if it as was not satisfied at all.
The tournaments need to be faster paced. Even having a 2nd or 3rd set up for a Tournament would be nice, cutting the wait time in half and saving everyone time.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

We are aware about the issues that happened in various tournaments.  We have been working on more methods to ensure future tournaments are ran more smoothly, more visibly structured, better communication, less time filler, and a lot more entertaining.  And yes, we are taking consideration towards the replies in this thread.

We also plan on running more Free Play games to give the fans what they want.  We will work on a more detailed list of games that we plan to bring.

Just out of curiosity, when do people actually have free times for big tournaments they are interested in?  Though it be difficult to please everyone due to the amount of stuff that FanimeCon has to offer, a general time line never hurts to know.  :)

In the meantime, we are already planning on our lineup of games to run for next year, including the new games coming out this year or next year.  Some of you would predict already, but feel free to mention the games anyways.  :P
eGaming Head / FanimeCon, SacAnime, Y-Con, Kintoki-Con, Deceptikon
Tournament Director / AOD
Anime + Gaming Article Lead / GreenTeaGraffiti
Cosplays: Wii Remote, Pink DS Lite

JTchinoy

I think people should pay attention more.  I remember that kid in the front of the brawl crowd and we called his named like 20 times.  Then after we DQ him he's like, I'm here. -_-

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: JTchinoy on October 08, 2009, 10:05:21 AM
I think people should pay attention more.  I remember that kid in the front of the brawl crowd and we called his named like 20 times.  Then after we DQ him he's like, I'm here. -_-
It's true.
Though half of the people that got DQed probably left out of Boredom.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on October 09, 2009, 06:25:30 PM
It's true.

The people who left got DQ'ed because they weren't taking the tournaments too seriously (I'm looking at the people who left the tournaments because they got lured in watching the Masquerade) or were just intimidated by the competition.

I remember talking to some FanimeCon attendees in Spirit of Japan who knew who some of us were.  Here were some of what they said:
- They had their friends enter some of our tournaments and they said that after seeing the competition, they couldn't bear how good some of these people are.  I told them that we encouraged people to stay and let people know that despite the competitive mindset, we are very cool and nice people wanting to help the fans.  :(
- Some of their friends didn't know the Masquerade was happening at the time of their tournaments, so they left without notification.  I told them that while the people enter these list of tournaments we have to offer, I did advise them on a plan to organize their next visit at FanimeCon.  Hopefully, they listened.

Time to provide multiple megaphones in high volume (or Autotuned mics).  :P
eGaming Head / FanimeCon, SacAnime, Y-Con, Kintoki-Con, Deceptikon
Tournament Director / AOD
Anime + Gaming Article Lead / GreenTeaGraffiti
Cosplays: Wii Remote, Pink DS Lite

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi) on October 09, 2009, 10:23:44 PM
Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on October 09, 2009, 06:25:30 PM
It's true.

The people who left got DQ'ed because they weren't taking the tournaments too seriously (I'm looking at the people who left the tournaments because they got lured in watching the Masquerade) or were just intimidated by the competition.

I remember talking to some FanimeCon attendees in Spirit of Japan who knew who some of us were.  Here were some of what they said:
- They had their friends enter some of our tournaments and they said that after seeing the competition, they couldn't bear how good some of these people are.  I told them that we encouraged people to stay and let people know that despite the competitive mindset, we are very cool and nice people wanting to help the fans.  :(
- Some of their friends didn't know the Masquerade was happening at the time of their tournaments, so they left without notification.  I told them that while the people enter these list of tournaments we have to offer, I did advise them on a plan to organize their next visit at FanimeCon.  Hopefully, they listened.

Time to provide multiple megaphones in high volume (or Autotuned mics).  :P

I wouldn't know about the competition in the other Tournaments, but there was not much in the Halo3 tournament. Though I was one of the better players. The only guy I know was better then me was Monk Inc, and he used to be Semi-pro at Halo and is top4 in Gears of War 2 MLG Pro League.
All I know is that I was about to leave because of Boredom. Too much wasted time. Again I can't say anything for the other Tournament, but the H3 tournament had no reason for anyone to be intimated and did not deserve any seriousness at all really.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Batman77

Quote from: xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi) on October 05, 2009, 11:58:16 PM
Just out of curiosity, when do people actually have free times for big tournaments they are interested in?  Though it be difficult to please everyone due to the amount of stuff that FanimeCon has to offer, a general time line never hurts to know.  :)

In the meantime, we are already planning on our lineup of games to run for next year, including the new games coming out this year or next year.  Some of you would predict already, but feel free to mention the games anyways.  :P
;D Thanks for listening. Big tournys like smash and SF4 I think should start around 12-3pm so there's plenty of time to finish. I don't mind having a tourny start at 8-9pm but it shouldn't run or have to run till about 3am b/c then most people are too tired to play and have as much fun. One thing thats kind of good and bad w/ fanime is there is so much going on at once w/ the con in general. So sometimes I have to decide if I'm I going to enter this tourny or go to this panel or stage zero for some event or band or big event ext. lol but I'd rather have options then just one thing.

;D Games that I STRONGLY think should be in for tournys is
Blazblue
STREET FIGHTER 4
Tatsunoko vs Capcom (US version should be out buy then.)
Naruto Ultimate Ninja 5 (If it comes out to us this year which it might)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Smash Bros. Brawl (free for all or FUBAR was fun)
Rock, Paper, Scissors  :D (maybe not at the same time as a big tourny like smash)
Tekken 6

Tournies I would like to see as well.
Naruto Ultimate ninja 4
Naruto Ninja storm
Gears of War 2
Marvel vs Capcom 2

Tournies that probably won't see happen but I'd still love to see
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3
Guilty Gear: AC or AC plus
Virtua Fighter 5

As for the competition it doesn't seem too fierce to me. It seems fine it's not really all pro and it's not really weak so I'd say it's a good mix/variety. Of course there' going to be a few or some really good people in some tournies b/c the convention it's self is huge w/ over like 10,000 people or something so of course there going to be a few really good people. Some actually come to the convention just for the game tournies.  ;D

TC X0 Lt 0X

Lulz CoD:MW Tourny...
Sorry extremely spiteful to the game and those who think it is worthy of being competitive.  :P

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.