Masquerade feedback?

Started by sadistic-otaku, May 25, 2009, 08:07:14 PM

sadistic-otaku

I thought the masquerade was really awesome! Nothing was mentally scarring, and nothing too overdone. I thought it was really cool how a lot of attendees were still there for the last skit, since people usually leave halfway.

Anyone have videos?

slimchance

I thought the masquerade was not that good compared to last year. 

#1. the audio - a lot of skits I couldn't hear or understand anything.  I did enjoy some of the dance skit and I thought they were good especially the pokemon and kuroshitsuji skits.

#2. the winner of karaoke went on stage to perform wearing a short and tshirt like she just woke up.  I think that is no respect to audience at all.  At least put on a jean and looks a little more presentable. 

#3.  The masquerade was too long and way too boring.  A lot of the skits had no meaning. 

LunaNeko

What makes me laugh is that previous year people were complaning that masq was worse then the year before and year before that it was not...anyways, its same crap every year, Fanime audience is very hard to please and it seems like telling people to get on stage and make a difference does not work at all, they come back year after year and complain about skits. *sigh*
I personally thought masq was AMAZING this year, come on, Pokemon guys got standing ovation and show started on time!!!
I agree on karaoke winner not being dressed for the occasion, but its her fault, not masq staff, you can't tell people what to wear, lol.

Rette

No masquerade, at any con, ever, has consistently good audio. Some people just don't understand that if you record your skit with your cell phone through a tin can in a bathroom, it's not going to sound good. Albeit most people don't have access to nice recording equipment, but even your standard $20-$30 headset mic for gaming is better than the one built in to your laptop/phone/whatever.

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Member of Three Dollar Laugh Cosplay

Yoshi31

anyone have a video of the pokemon guys doing their thing?

Rette

~ Gaffer Tape is like the Force. There's a Dark Side and a Light Side and it Holds the Universe Together. ~

Member of Three Dollar Laugh Cosplay

kanauru

I'll be continuing to add more videos so stay tuned! I wanted to suggest having an audio file on the website so participants could compare their audio to the audio on the website and so they know whether their audio is too loud or too soft. Though preferably it should be available to those upon registering their group. But the problem is also that many people don't know how to do basic stuff like lower the volume etc. I believe #43 or one of the skits around that number made my ears bleed. It's never possible to have a perfect masquerade, but at least it wasn't full of hare hare yukais and carmelldansen!

Dracil

Kudos to the group with the title that Ric Meyers wouldn't say, which I somehow guessed almost immediately was gonna be based off of Tsurupettan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfUe2eckPFQ.

Asking the audience not to use flash, but letting people in the corralled off center front section still use flash is not very effective to get people to not use flash.

AnimeEmperor

I actually thought it was one of the best in awhile. I walked in a bit late, it looked like they got all the walk-ons done before the skits? Is that right? If so it was brilliant, those things always seemed to slow down the pace.

And there were several skits that were truly memorable, which doesn't always happen.

UsakoMinako

As always the masq was run wonderfully smooth and in tune! Marisa and her staff are very organized and are very solid. We had no problems with directions, the who what where whens and judging processes.
We love to see the same people commited to Marisa's team knowing that the masq is being run by dependable people!
The contestants were friendly and cordial to each other as well as supportive. Casey was especialy tolerant and very nice to work with considering the special requests ^_^
Wait! Any chance we can get the center of performing arts next year? That place IS SO COOL!

To those in the masquerade this year- YOU ROCK;D

Here's a video from bartboy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hMZzqk97xs

bahamutknightzero

I have to say that despite a few audio problems with some groups (granted, not everyone has access to good audio equipment or probably ran into some issues that led to some choppy/low volume recordings), that this year's Masq was good.

This year's theme seemed to be based on either (don't quote me on this, since I'm probably WAY off):

a) Dancing/Choreography
b) Tsubasa/CLAMP

It is probably due to last year's debacle with all of the Haruhi dance skits that everyone else wanted to step things up/try something different to make things a bit more interesting this year.

Also, speaking for Group 26 (the skit with Gendo/Bakura/Kiki/Xemnas),  I have to say I feel better for not screwing up like I did with the swords the year before as Zoro (sword was stuck). Anywho, I can't wait to see the videos for all the skits.

angeljibrille

hugs to all! Thanks for your feedback.

One thing that we will probably change next year is the length of the skit. You give people 3 minutes, and they ALLL want 3 minutes. It's just making the Masq drag in places. We are going to cut back to 2.5 minutes next year to try and keep the speed moving a little more briskly and to give us a little more time at the end to properly recognize the judges, the host, and the winners. We are set on time, and we really pushed it this year. We need to work a little more within our means :/

Also, we did have problems with AMAZING sets.... that took forever to set up. We have never really encountered that before, it's new to us, and we may have to figure out a better way of getting skits set up faster next year. We also had some issues with breakdown time backstage (these amazing sets also take forever to break down) so we will work on that as well.

Overall though, I was sincerely impressed by the high productions values for performances this year. Everyone brought a LOT to the show, and we really appreciate the contestants (and the audience too!).

Thanks everyone :)

Marisa, Casey, & the Cosplay Staff

Aishasama

Quote from: angeljibrille on May 27, 2009, 09:42:25 PM

One thing that we will probably change next year is the length of the skit. You give people 3 minutes, and they ALLL want 3 minutes. It's just making the Masq drag in places. We are going to cut back to 2.5 minutes next year to try and keep the speed moving a little more briskly and to give us a little more time at the end to properly recognize the judges, the host, and the winners. We are set on time, and we really pushed it this year. We need to work a little more within our means :/

I am not sure that cutting the time down to 2.5 minutes is really the best solution to the problem. As a point of reference, I'm a member of Minna no Nur Puppy, and I'm actually very active in following masquerades nationwide (I've gone through every video set ACP has ever posted and reviewed all of the winning ones, if that means anything to you.)

Anyways, here's what I think about a shorter time limit:

Pros:
-Can fit more skits in, if you really want to do so
-Groups with skits that "drag on" (from boredom or whatever) would be reduced.
-More time for awards, etc.

Cons:
-Groups with good skits become more limited in their presentations. Less time will make it more difficult to have skits with coherent, interesting plots. Time allowance for things like laugh pauses, moving from place to place, etc. must also be considered.
-Quality skits over quantity skits. Being able to fit 50 shorter skits is not as appealing as 30 fantastic ones. This year, when we hit skit 30 or so, it was very clear that the skit quality went more or less downwards. People who sign up later tend to be less prepared.
-Increased downtime:skit time ratio. It seems after this year groups focus more on their stage preparation than ever before (backgrounds, etc) and there will be downtime for that. Having increased downtime and a shortened skit time will make audiences impatient (waiting for prep, with only a short skit to begin with).
-If you cut 30 seconds from 45 3min skits (for a new 2:30 time limit), you gain less than 1/2 an hour of time. I'm not sure this will solve the issues.
-Audiences will leave the masquerade as soon as it gets dull for them. Even if it's a bit shorter, the people who leave early will always leave early, unless skit quality improves
-The pre-show is also very long! I was surprised the last few years, because most of the extra entertainment (karaoke, special performances) were before the show, not during the judging. Many of my friends were annoyed because they don't care for Haruhi. I think it leaves incentive for people to stick around if there are special performances later in the evening.

These are the biggest things I can think of. I know there are some things that are difficult to deal with (such as skit quality) but it might be beneficial for Masquerade staff to consider trying to mitigate some of these things. Can people deal with the 2:30 time limit? Probably. But will it make the masquerade better? I'm not so sure.

Anyways, thanks for putting this together, as always! We had a good time!

P.S. This has nothing to do with anything, but whoever decided prizes had a sense of... humor. PMX 2005 Program Guides? Manga volumes from the middle of a series? Really? (not that the prizes are what counts to me, I just find it hilarious)

kanauru

Quote from: Aishasama on June 01, 2009, 03:07:09 PM

-Quality skits over quantity skits. Being able to fit 50 shorter skits is not as appealing as 30 fantastic ones. This year, when we hit skit 30 or so, it was very clear that the skit quality went more or less downwards. People who sign up later tend to be less prepared.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but comparing the skit order and the registered order, it was completely different. Chief Pikachu and Charlie the Charmander were #34 on the registered list but was #12 in the actual skit order. Cossack Masters were registered as #12 but their actual number in the order was #26. Suupaa Kaizoku was registered #6 but ended up #22.

QuoteMany of my friends were annoyed because they don't care for Haruhi
Haruhi? I didn't see her in the pre-show. I must of missed something then lol

bahamutknightzero

Quote from: kanauru on June 07, 2009, 10:15:49 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but comparing the skit order and the registered order, it was completely different. Chief Pikachu and Charlie the Charmander were #34 on the registered list but was #12 in the actual skit order. Cossack Masters were registered as #12 but their actual number in the order was #26. Suupaa Kaizoku was registered #6 but ended up #22.

QuoteMany of my friends were annoyed because they don't care for Haruhi
Haruhi? I didn't see her in the pre-show. I must of missed something then lol

Cossack Masters wasn't group #26, Sinfully Delicious Players was group #26

The Haruhi thing was during the judging.

Moronlife

Hello all...

Don't have any video, but I do have a good slide show from the Cosplay Spectacular.

I was able to get most of the event up close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsGwXcXfyYY

Check it out.

kanauru

Quote from: bahamutknightzero on June 08, 2009, 05:25:04 PM

Cossack Masters wasn't group #26, Sinfully Delicious Players was group #26

gah, this is what i get when i don't upload my videos in order lol

Lady Saru

laaate feedback.

I think the Masq was pretty good. True, some things didn't work out, but overall it was decent.

Major props to Miss Marisa and everyone else for keeping everyone organized!

I am so coming back next year.
Cosplay:
Grell Sutcliffe
Marchesa version (B&W ball)

UsakoMinako

For time limit, it isn't a bad idea- But, fanime being the only masq in the area that allows 3 minutes gives hope to those who know that a shorter time limit may force a story arc or a TV version of music suffer at the loss of 30 seconds. In my experience, it becomes very hard to cut off music since alot of TV versions are slightly over 2:30 but mostly end around 2:40. The sections of music often have to be edited and mixed and its sooo hard sometimes to cut off  or find room the "awesome" part of the music or skit which may have to be sacrificed at a 2:30 time limit.  :-\ People who edit music for this sort of thing would know what I am talking about, even though to others the solution may be "just cut and paste it shorter". It takes days and a days and days sometimes to edit music to fit the time. :)

One thing I have seen is like at wondercon where if you have 1-2 people you get 1 minute and 30- as you add people the time limit goes up.
Making the time limit to 2:30 can work out as well. If your skit runs over a small amount of seconds that is within reason, the director may be lenient. If they are filled in on what you are trying to do, and why it may very well be a valid reason for a few straggling seconds. However, this consideration should not be abused! ^_^

When there is change, its kinda scary at times, but we all find a way to keep on going and bring great things!

BSaphire

Quote from: angeljibrille on May 27, 2009, 09:42:25 PM

I am not sure that cutting the time down to 2.5 minutes is really the best solution to the problem. As a point of reference, I'm a member of Minna no Nur Puppy, and I'm actually very active in following masquerades nationwide (I've gone through every video set ACP has ever posted and reviewed all of the winning ones, if that means anything to you.)
I don't know if ACP has any of AX 09 skits up, but for a reference to the time allotment that I am aware of: 

Anime Expo 2009
"Masquerade Contestant Rules
1.   All Skit entries must be 2 minutes or less and all Walk-On entries must be 1 minute or less. "

A-Kon 20 (2009)
"Time Limits: Each Walk-on entry will have 30 seconds to saunter across the stage, pose and depart.
Skits have approximately 2 minutes and 30 seconds."

I think 2:30 is a great time amount. I have seen skits that have fit that time allotment and 30 seconds into them I'm thinking "Gosh, are they going to be the whole 2:30?"

As a Former Cheerleading Coach I have had to cut audio to fit a time frame for everything from half time to special performances to competitions. You just pic out the parts that are important and blend it together. The more seamless the final product is the better. Rough transitions in any audio area are hard to listen to :P

my 2 cents
B
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC