Swapmeet 2010

Started by Jiraya, May 26, 2009, 11:24:09 AM

Jiraya

Would be very cool to do swapmeet Sat as well next year.
I seem to have more fun at the swapmeet as the swappers are usually keener on making deals as compared to the dealer room. Just my 2 cents.

J

RyuHayabusa

I have to agree on this too. Doing swap meet on saturday would be very awesome as well cause people want to buy stuff and whatever it doesn't get sold on thursday night and friday night, will be sold. Plus it something else to do as well. Been doing swap meet for years now and I would love to see it be done on saturday night as for something that people want to do instead of going to the masquerade or other events on the con. Please extend it to saturday night next year. Thanks.
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

sweetrinoa

i love the swap meet and would like to see it on Saturday.  The only problem about the swap meet is that alot of people are in their walking all directions and it becomes difficult to see what people have to sale.  I am a short person and almost got trampled while looking at stuff to buy. 

Kimiko

Yes I also would like a Saturday swap meet!~
2009 Costumes
Pita Ten ~ Shia
Rozen Maiden ~ Hina Ichigo
Gijinka Pokemon ~ Plusle
Salt5 ~ Abe Natsumi

bagfreak247

that would be cool too have Swapmeets all throughout Con. Just have them at specific timees like this year. Cuz i wanted to go to a swapmeet on sunday, but i noticed there werent any scheduled. So just have em everyday that con has. hehe

-AJ
"Whats not to like about anime, if you truly know what it's all about!"

GokuMew2

I think the problem is that swap meet could become competition for the dealers if it were more than two nights.
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

Steven McIntosh

Quote from: GokuMew2 on May 26, 2009, 06:38:24 PM
I think the problem is that swap meet could become competition for the dealers if it were more than two nights.
Then the dealers should have better stuff at their tables. Seriously, I didn't see anything I wanted to buy in the dealers room, but I made out like a bandit at the swap meet, both this year and last year. Also, they wouldn't directly compete if the swap meet was only scheduled after the dealers room closed, and remained a late night event.
1994: First Fanime
1999: Volunteer
2000 - 2001: Video Programming Head
2002: Video Programming Staff
2009: Stage Zero Staff
2013: Anime Programming Second

bagfreak247

Quote from: Tsuzuki on May 26, 2009, 07:01:44 PM
Then the dealers should have better stuff at their tables. Seriously, I didn't see anything I wanted to buy in the dealers room, but I made out like a bandit at the swap meet, both this year and last year. Also, they wouldn't directly compete if the swap meet was only scheduled after the dealers room closed, and remained a late night event.

Also, have BETTER DEALS! i know some of the tables had hella rip off prices! COME ON! Especially that DVD, MANGA corner! I saw most of the dvds i wanted for cheaper at Suncoast or Best Buy! Although some other tables DID have RELI RELI RELI good prices! like that one with $3 dvds and manga, I bought a butt load of stuff there xP

-AJ
"Whats not to like about anime, if you truly know what it's all about!"

abcbadcat

Saturday swap meet pleaseeeee!!!

Kimiko

Doesn't the swap meet usually occur when the dealers room closes anyways? If that's the case, then it shouldn't be too much of an issue. I noticed a LOT of people around that weren't at the masquerade and other events, so this type of thing would work out well if it can be implemented.
2009 Costumes
Pita Ten ~ Shia
Gijinka Pokemon ~ Plusle
Salt5 ~ Abe Natsumi

GokuMew2

Quote from: Kimiko on May 27, 2009, 04:34:26 PM

Doesn't the swap meet usually occur when the dealers room closes anyways? If that's the case, then it shouldn't be too much of an issue. I noticed a LOT of people around that weren't at the masquerade and other events, so this type of thing would work out well if it can be implemented.

I saw this coming.
The bottom line is that dealers are paying $1K+ to sell their stuff whereas swap meet sellers only pay $20 for a full spot.

As a swap meet seller, I wouldn't mind having swap meet every night either so I can unload all my stuff, but putting myself in dealers' shoes, I can understand why it is not. But who knows. I'm not the one who makes the rules so maybe staff who do will consider implementing your ideas.
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

Jiraya

I can see the dealers possibly getting slightly upset, but on the other hand the swapmeet is usually older used stuff. I think almost all my purchases at the various swapmeets over the years has been items no longer carried in the dealer room.
I do usually roll my eyes at the prices of DVD's if I can buy it for less at Suncoast or some other place it is laughable. I go for price over convienence. I try to support locals over online, but don't want to feel completely abused.

Kertus

I lol'd at some of the stuff in the Swapmeet.  $2 - $3 Pocky from some random person vs $1 new Pocky in the dealers room.  :P

I don't think the swapmeet really competes with the dealer's room much though, it's alot of games and cards and older random things that I don't see in the dealer's room. All the good stuff and good deals get bought up within the first 2 days I think.  At most I'd think swapmeet extend 1 more day.
Mario '06. Sven '08. Jared '09. Gai '10. Cobra '11. Kenji '12. Spike '13.
irc.rizon.net #fanime Click here to connect to IRC

Kimiko

I completely understand about the dealers and all that, but I don't compare them at all. At least at my booth, I have things you CAN'T find in the dealers room, like the Sera Myu stuff and Hello! Project cds (thanks to those who bought this stuff!).

I like to look for things at the swap meet go with my oooold collections and I just can't find them in the dealer's room at all.

Anyways, it's up to the higher ups and I'm completely fine with Thurs and Friday, but of course I'll be happy with Saturday as well :) No complaints here.
2009 Costumes
Pita Ten ~ Shia
Gijinka Pokemon ~ Plusle
Salt5 ~ Abe Natsumi

Tony

I hate to say it, but there CAN be too much of a good thing.

I'm not sure I want the fire hazard on our busiest day ^_^;;

The dealers are a huge issue, because they are very tightly regulated and it's very expensive. It's just hard to make the distinction between the two and enforce it, and there are some very loyal and hardworking people that we wouldn't want to offend - or put out of business.

Nor do I want it to become Dealers Room Jr. Jr. (There are already questionable vendors in Artist Alley; it's almost like Dealers Room Jr. And I could see people getting sneaky about Swap Meet.)

Lastly, when the facilities notice things getting popular, it makes less sense for them to be accommodating. Suddenly it'll be $40 a space, then $60, etc.  :(

But what the hell - I'll ask around.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

ewu

on my todo list.

I know that there are 1 or 2 dealers that think a swap meet is a great idea, but I am certain that there are more than 1 or 2 that think it cuts into their profits...
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Kertus

Quote from: ewu on May 28, 2009, 09:54:13 AM
on my todo list.

I know that there are 1 or 2 dealers that think a swap meet is a great idea, but I am certain that there are more than 1 or 2 that think it cuts into their profits...

Well the thing in the end the Swap Meet cuts into everyone's profits by the pure fact it exists and sells things, just like how people needing to eat and buy other things as the con goes on will leave con goers with less money to spend in the dealer's room.  I don't think the swap meet needs to be extended the whole con, buy maybe some time on Saturday would be good.
Would the dealers do anything if the swap meet was extended another day? Would they raise their prices or would some dealers be pissed and not come?
Like I can understand how some might not like it, but what're they gonna do? The con is 'by fans for fans' right? Not for dealers :P
Mario '06. Sven '08. Jared '09. Gai '10. Cobra '11. Kenji '12. Spike '13.
irc.rizon.net #fanime Click here to connect to IRC

nightlightning

I would say do the swap meet Thursday night and Sunday night.  Spaced out like that, it gives people a chance to still go to the dealers for the main days (Fri and Sat seemed the busiest in the dealers room).  Also, since many of the items sold by dealers are "grab bags" or boxed with 1 of X possible figures inside, etc.- a chance for some people to trade/sell the doubles they get on-site would be nice.  Monday should be avoided, since the dealers are making the last-minute sales then and really don't need the competition.

On another note- This is my first Fanime, and I was seriously disappointed with the lack of flexibility on the part of most dealers.  eBay exists, whether they like it or not.  They need to be realistic in terms of pricing on DVD and manga.  At every other convention (of different types) that I have gone to, a little negotiating is part of the whole experience.  I actually had a dealer verbally assault me when I asked him to go a few dollars lower on something.

Liquid

Quote from: nightlightning on May 28, 2009, 10:51:47 AM
I actually had a dealer verbally assault me when I asked him to go a few dollars lower on something.

I'm sure that is something that would be frowned upon. Depending on the content of the verbal assault, you could have brought that up for Rovers to look into.
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

Sen

Quote from: nightlightning on May 28, 2009, 10:51:47 AM
I actually had a dealer verbally assault me when I asked him to go a few dollars lower on something.

Care to elaborate with more details? You can PM me.
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07