Marriott has poisoned water?

Started by Jelly Soup, May 26, 2009, 12:48:00 PM

Jelly Soup

This was my second time staying in the Marriott, but the fourth or so time for my friend. She always got sick during the stay when she was in the Marriott. This year, we narrowed it down to the water. That is, anytime she drank from the fountains, faucets or pool (in that case, the water just got in her mouth while swimming) her tonsils swelled up and her throat got very red. This didn't happen with the water in any other areas except on the Marriott property.

Which leads me to my question. Has anyone else had an issue like this? I was thinking it might just be whatever the Marriott uses to filter the water.

Barnes

I stayed at the Marriott AND I have a sore throat right now.
Maybe you are on to something afterall?  :o
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

tezarc

I stayed at the Marriott also, I remembered the ice from the ice machine smells a bit fishy but thought nothing of it... hmmm

Jelly Soup

Now that I think about it, I ate some of the ice and my throat got a little scratchy too. I figured it was just my allergies draining, took a shot of Robitussin and thought no more about it....

Kuudere

I heard that the water in San Jose isn't all that great, but I seriously doubt that Marriott specifically has bad water.

While I don't drink tap water, I did use it to brush my teeth, take a shower and wash my face and have had no reactions to it. My skin is pretty sensitive to a lot types of water, but I wasn't bothered at all by the Marriott's.

I think a more believable culprit for people's sicknesses is that we're at a convention with many, many people and a lot of germs are going to be spread easily.

codex biblio

The subject line seems to be somewhat of a misnomer. I don't think the Marriott ever had "poisoned" water. Unless you actually think it's next to a secret toxic facility that's leaking toxins into the water supply?  :P

Anyways, no, I don't think the Marriott's filtering system or water supply is that much different from the Hilton's/Convention Center's. I'm sick right now and I stayed at the Hilton. I've stayed at this specific Marriott before for another convention and didn't get sick.

Ice smelling "fishy" can also mean it's just "old" ice. Like it hasn't been refreshed for a while.  Ice easily absorbs smells around it, so it doesn't take long for it to "smell". (Wow! That's a weird explanation!)

As the previous post mentioned, think of this like a college dormitory. Lots of people crammed together, breathing the same air. And in this case, a lot of the attendees weren't even bathing regularly, so I'm sure they weren't washing their hands regularly either (which is the #1 germ fighting tip). Viruses (if they're present) are just going to be spread a lot quicker, that's all.

Of course, it is ALWAYS a possiblity that your friend is allergic to something specific on the Marriott property. So, maybe she should try the another hotel next year? Good luck!

M

I know that there were many people in the area who were getting hit hard by their allergies. There was nothing in common with these people except for the fact that they were in San Jose, attending FanimeCon, and were human. :P But seriously, it just seems that many people were getting hit harder with their allergies and this also includes people that don't even drink from the fountains.

Your title is a tad misleading, btw.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

G.I.R

If there was an issue of contaminated water, it sounds as if it were the ice.  Ice machines are bad about mold growing inside(yes even at those temperatures).

Xeluu

I stayed at the Marriott again this year: drank tap water, my sister used ice for a drink: no problems.

And I never had any issues with the ice, perhaps it was just the ice maker on your floor?
2016 Cosplay Plans
Gomamon/Gabumon - Digimon
Jolteon Gijinka - Pokemon
Oogie Boogie - Nightmare Before Christmas

Jelly Soup

Quote from: MPLe on May 27, 2009, 01:15:17 AM

I thought it would be the easiest way to get attention.

And some of the unseen reactions were probably hilarious.

G.I.R

Quote from: Jelly Soup on May 27, 2009, 08:03:57 AM

Your title tries to make it sound like it was fact.  Very misleading.  And saying that the water was poisoned  kind of incurs that someone intentionally did something to the water supply.

And you chose that title to get attention?  Be careful.  If you make baseless accusations like that in a public forum it could be considered slander.

Jelly Soup

Who locked my topic?  ???

Quote from: G.I.R on May 27, 2009, 08:26:51 AM
Quote from: Jelly Soup on May 27, 2009, 08:03:57 AM

Your title tries to make it sound like it was fact.  Very misleading.

Uh, no. The presence of a question mark indicates that it was a question.

QuoteAnd saying that the water was poisoned  kind of incurs that someone intentionally did something to the water supply.

Opinion. Unless you're insinuating that accidental poisonings due to mechanical malfunctions don't happen, in which case you're dead wrong.

QuoteAnd you chose that title to get attention?  Be careful.  If you make baseless accusations like that in a public forum it could be considered slander.

No. "They have poisoned water?" =/= "The water is poisoned!" Completely different connotations.

Lolita_Girl123

Quote from: Barnes on May 26, 2009, 12:50:41 PM
I stayed at the Marriott AND I have a sore throat right now.
Maybe you are on to something afterall?  :o
mabye ur allergic to something in the water or the filter...

Rodney_Pheonix

Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

EJAY420

simple solution: buy a case of bottled water. get some ice. keep it cold. if you have a hotel room. hotel water is pretty nasty. taste somewhat off.
Most Impressive.