The hug line

Started by Dagger-6, May 26, 2009, 06:54:26 PM

jAded

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on May 28, 2009, 09:39:53 PM
I prefer my personal space and ability to walk to the other end of the CC without being harassed and having to spend quite a bit longer than I should trying to force my way through a crowd of people who want to touch me in ways I would not like to be touched by strangers.

I hope something is done next year. I have been going to this con for many years now, and while there are always been the "free hugs" people around, this year was probably the worst I have seen (or can remember, at least).

Agreed. I, too, liked my personal space. Bad touch anyone? D:

In response to an earlier posts about people not wanting random strangers to touch/hug them making them socially impaired, that's kind of insulting. I'm not a fan of hugs from strangers, and I don't have anything against those that do, but when it comes to the point where hug solicitors are getting aggressive and rude about you ignoring or denying them, that crosses a line. It made me really uncomfortable that I had walk through this corridor of people on both sides asking for hugs just to get into the dealers room. (That's why I'm also a fan of having more than one entrance into the dealer's room 8D )

As for searching for rovers, I couldn't spot them easily. Maybe I'm blind and that was just me, but if I had seen one or two, I would have said something. There was a guy asking for hugs with a signed shirt full of signatures. When I declined and he almost came behind my art table to hug me without my consent (that's crossing the line when I'm getting intimidated because I had declined). I had to cross my arms and say, I do not want to touch you.

About signs and people with signs:
Are they harmless fun? Yes and no

Are they annoying and kind of creepy? not necessarily the signs that make it creepy, its' how people handle/use signage

Are they fine, as long as we better kept people in check so that they didn't heckle or run up and jump on people? sure, i'm not against signs

Are people holding signs just bad to begin with? no. if people are respectful, it shouldn't really be a problem.

Again, if I could have avoided the hug aisle, I would have, and would have no beef with it. But I had to walk through it in order to get into the dealer's room, and that's where the problem came in. Give people who solicit hugs someplace to do their thing, I just don't think the hallway into the dealer's room was the best place to have it. If you enjoy and want your hugs, feel free. But as far as where I stand on hugs from people I don't want: Unwanted touching = sexual harrassament.

As to the post that whining after the con isn't going to change anything, the thread asked for people to list their opinions/experiences. I don't see how responding to that is considered whining.

EDIT:
Aside from that minor unpleasantness, Fanime was a blast. (:

asscrack

Quote from: kaizoku on May 28, 2009, 01:22:21 AM
I do agree that if huggers do hug you without your consent that is indeed inappropriate, but I don't think this should be banned because of a small group of kids misrepresenting another group.  You can't say all huggers are loud, annoying, and inappropriate because not all of them are.  That's just discrimination.
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

This is not discrimination.

As ridiculous as this may sound to others, hugs ARE considered sexual harassment whether it's consensual or not. Go ahead. Ask the HR office at ANY professional business when you get your @ss hired. They'll make you sit in front of a TV watching a video that explains what is considered harassment in a working environment and make new employees sign off as part of their training & introduction.

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=15463

Are we going overboard? Maybe. But it really depends on the person who wants the hug and if they can behave "appropriately". Personally, if some random stranger gave me a hug, that gives me reason to knock the f*ck out of them to the other side of the convention center since they touched me *first* - it's called self-defense.
Does my ass look fat?

BrightHeart76

The hug line was pathetic.  There, I said it.  It was pathetic.

Serioiusly, you're in the middle of what is basically an anime wonderland and you're holding up a sign asking people for hugs.  What is wrong with you?  Good use of the money you spent on that membership.  ::)

And if the chick who had her 6 year old daughter/sister/cousin/whatever go up to strangers and ask them to hug you to save Domo reads this...Shame on you.  Using a kid to try and get hugs makes you even MORE pathetic and is a really bad example for the kid. 
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Dagger-6

I understand that many people were displeased over the prevalence of people with "free hug" signs, but please try to avoid insulting and passing judgment on the people in the line and focus instead on the situation itself.

Remember we want to create a welcome and opening environment for all members on this forum and keep that in mind when choosing your words.

And also please remember the rules about no swearing.  Putting in symbols in place of letters is not an acceptable substitute.  You can get your point across without any sort of crude language at all.

Thank you again for all the feedback you are all providing.  It is very much appreciated.

kakashifangurl1

the hug line -sighs shakes head- i ran through that mess

Ten

Hugging: Ok
Crowding Halls: Not ok

Huggers alley should have a designated area, say outside or in a wider hall.
I had to swim through bodies as it is to get around -_-;
I did hug some lovely people, and it is nice to give affection/sympathy/frienship to people who may truly need/want/etc it.
I like how fanime is so open and friendly, I do not like waiting 20 minutes to get down the hall with the traffic flow being blocked by said sign holders.
Upcoming:
Cons-Yaoi con
Costumes-Taokaka
                 Miria Harvent
[email protected]!

Kupo

Admittingly, I was one of the people who were offering Free Hugs. I first stood near Artist Alley/E-Gaming with friends (they were waiting for someone), then a few hours later, took a break from shopping and decided to join the hug line near the Dealer's Room. Just wanted to try it and get some love.

Although I wasn't those people who kept yelling for hugs (I just stood there.), Sorry If I annoyed, angered anyone in any way.

It was my first Fanime. Go easy on me.  :(

idontknow

Quote from: Kupo on May 31, 2009, 02:18:23 AM
Admittingly, I was one of the people who were offering Free Hugs. I first stood near Artist Alley/E-Gaming with friends (they were waiting for someone), then a few hours later, took a break from shopping and decided to join the hug line near the Dealer's Room. Just wanted to try it and get some love.

Although I wasn't those people who kept yelling for hugs (I just stood there.), Sorry If I annoyed, angered anyone in any way.

It was my first Fanime. Go easy on me.  :(

don't worry; if you were just standing there it wasn't a problem for me :)
according to most of what the people said, they're just annoyed of the rude ones that yelled and blocked the walkway
:D

GokuMew2

I was not a fan of the hug line either.
They didn't bother me because I walked away from them, but them just being there is... yeah...

If they want hugs so badly, why don't they start hugging each other? :P
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

Knightfire

I have no problems with the hug thing when it's just one or two people doing it, when it's an entire wall of people then it's a problem. Sometimes I would not mind a hug, sometimes I'm not feeling to well, so a hug is not only not want wanted, I wouldn't want anyone else to fall ill. I also noticed that some people wouldn't give out free hugs to others, which is false advertising.

At least I didn't see much of those damn paddles this year.
Starting work for Fanime 2011

Liquid

Quote from: trooper715 on May 30, 2009, 11:27:46 PM
Putting in symbols in place of letters is not an acceptable substitute.

Bah....now I have some editting to do.

EDIT: Nevermind, that topic is locked. Oh well. :D
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

KitsuneOniko

Some fellow staffers suggested I also post pretty much what I posted in the Convention feedback thread here so here ya go:

Quote from: KitsuneOniko on May 31, 2009, 03:36:00 PM
Another thing I have to agree with all of you is the signage soliciting and the hug me/glomp me lines and ppl... We want everyone to have a good fun time @ con but remember ppl that safety, consideration/respect is always a must despite! While most of the staff usually don't mind the every so often friendly joking signs, remember that the city of San Jose does...and depending on what the signage says, can be considered soliciting.

A lot of us staff were talking about signs over the years that @ first seemed harmless but did amount to a few union rules and safety issues being brought up... the "What would you do for Pocky?" signs were silly fun... until we had catgirls and catboys suddenly suggestively dancing ON TOP of con tables and equipment... I have to bring up this matter because the space and equipment we use @ con actually belongs to the convention hall management ppl... NOT US... so we are liable for any damage and accidents that may occur due to such incidents... so for your safety please if you must "dance" for Pocky, preferably on solid safe ground? lol Please respect their convention hall space and equipment... They are nice enough to let us use and rent it every year so we can have our wonderful convention ^^ That also being mentioned... please NEVER tape or use stickers for your signs up on any of the column posts and/or walls of the convention space because like I just said... that's the convention hall's property... as we say in the staff meetings... If it ain't your's and especially if it's not union approved... don't put tape or stick anything on it please!

Also on the topic of hugging and glomping... it's all good natured fun for most but remember to be RESPECTFUL about it too! Just because someone or a group of people also REFUSE to hug/glomp back doesn't mean you should be rude and insult them back... This con is meant to be a fun and comfortable environment for all who attend it. Tackle glomps were also a safety issue on many occassions... Need a remind some fellow con goers and fellow staffers of a few small incidents we've had throughout past years? Was talking with some of my friends who are also staff and we were reminded that one year a random otaku tackle glomped a Yuna cosplayer out of no where (no, they didn't know each other) which caught her off balance and her staff prop hit another group of people & cosplayers who just happen to be walking past at that same moment? A lot of our extremely dedicated cosplayers often carry heavy props and put A LOT of hard work into their costumes to proudly show off and share with us all every year and I am sure would be very upset if it were to get ruined in one blow by an infamous flying tackle glomp... Not just cosplayers but regular attendees also get bothered by inappropriate glompage... Now I know A LOT of people want to say that they got to hug/glomp a bunch of cute girls and guys during con but remember to be considerate of the "receiving" person and/or party... I get several complaints and concerns from many of my younger new staffers and friends that attend these cons (especially if it's their first time @ a con) that they feel uneasy about these kinds of things (especially because they're new to this high "hug/glomp" environment guys!). In fact... my friend Steph, whose 1st Fanime Con was this one was just walking around and trying to find me as she borrowed my sunglasses earlier that day, wanted to return them to me and right before she found me @ my stage, out of no where a "creepy fat" otaku came flying out and pretty much tackle glomped her from behind or the side from what I was told... Now she is a very cute asian girl and I know a lot of guys want to hug cute asian girls @ this con but please be mindful of how these things can be taken! Not only was she made uncomfortable but also my E3 sunglasses were broken/crushed in his "embrace"... NOT COOL... While she was a little more lenient and let this one slide... other people @ our con don't let things like that go as easily... in fact during another incident I had to step in because it involved some of my younger minor new staff we had to eventually call in the San Jose PD to ban this guy off the con site because he had made my staffers very uncomfortable to the point that the girls were nervous and near scared to tears. I know many glompers/huggers are quite persistent to get their glomp hugs but YOU DO NOT pursue the "target" if they are obviously not feeling comfortable.... This guy FOLLOWED my girls all the way to their hotel room and floor! He kept trying to talk to them and engage them in conversation when they obviously were busy and trying to walk away... what's more he then reached out to grab and held one of the girls, hugging/glomping her and wouldn't let go of her even after her repeated "please let me go"... Turns out later also he didn't even have a badge at all of any sorts, was telling ppl he was "press" when he wasn't and taking random shots of people throughout con (which he tried to show the girls too)... I am going to stress this:

INAPPROPRIATE AND UNWANTED TOUCHING OF ANY KIND (INCLUDING GLOMPS AND HUGS) CAN BE CLASSIFIED AS SEXUAL HARASSMENT

I am not saying there is anything wrong with glomping and hugging... Heck, even us friends and staff like the occassional glomp n hug ^_^ BUT please be respectful and considerate... as much as possible, especially if you don't know the other person or persons, please ASK if it's alright with them ok? We want everyone to enjoy their time @ Fanime Con so in order for that we need to look out for each other and everyone around us too. Remember that Fanime is "By Fans, For Fans"... We can have our fun but be safe and mindful and remember that not everyone will respond to certain things the same way... you wouldn't want your con time ruined and cut short because someone made you feel violated or because you were accused of sexual harassment by another attendee(s) despite your good intention and good natured joking...
Fanime Volunteer 2003-2004
Fanime Dealership Staff 2005-2006
Fanime Live Programming Staff 2006
Fanime Programing Liaison 2006
Fanime Stage Zero Co-Producer 2006
Fanime Stage Zero Hostess 2007-Present <3

Mr. Wendell

I'm indifferent towards the hug line.

However, if Fanime attendees made a Soul Train line, count me in!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wv3ha5qJSo
They hate this awful face, gonna cause **** in this place.

Mr. Wendell
Head '24, Host w/ the Most, Stage Zero, FanimeCon '06-'24
Life of the Party, (insert convention here)

Kazuko

Soul Train \o/

In my opinion the hug line was more of a roadblock with a touch of creepy/annoyance. Going from Maid Cafe to Stage zero on Saturday to do fanimaid*live was like walking through a mall during a day after thanksgiving sale.

The late nights are what get really scary. There aren't much people but it was a little scary I was literally GRABBED by the wrist and forced a hug since I said no the first time. Thankfully a rover came over before it got any more creepy ;^;

Its all about consent, If someone says "No" then respect that wish and don't pester them after that. If someone from out of the blue runs up and hugs/glomps you its considered harassment since both parties did not come to mutual agreement and the person who did the action can get into serious trouble like a lawsuit. No one wants one of those on their hands

BSaphire

Quote from: Kender on May 27, 2009, 05:52:15 PM
Maybe we need to make "If you have a problem, find a Rover!" better advertised XD? 
Now there is a sign I would like to see on parade around con :P

Quote from: KitsuneOniko on June 02, 2009, 03:37:57 PM
Some fellow staffers suggested I also post pretty much what I posted in the Convention feedback thread here so here ya go:
Quote from: KitsuneOniko on May 31, 2009, 03:36:00 PM
... Another thing I have to agree with all of you is the signage soliciting and the hug me/glomp me lines and ppl... We want everyone to have a good fun time @ con but remember ppl that safety, consideration/respect is always a must despite! While most of the staff usually don't mind the every so often friendly joking signs, remember that the city of San Jose does...and depending on what the signage says, can be considered soliciting.....  .... Remember that Fanime is "By Fans, For Fans"... We can have our fun but be safe and mindful and remember that not everyone will respond to certain things the same way... you wouldn't want your con time ruined and cut short because someone made you feel violated or because you were accused of sexual harassment by another attendee(s) despite your good intention and good natured joking...
Many good points here KisuneOniko ^^)  ... go to the post to read all of it :)

The following is only my point of view on the matters discussed in this thread. My point of view comes from many areas (Mother & grandmother, staff & attendee, photographer & journalist, cosplayer & costumer. I am a Criminal Justice Major with a minor in business and currently hold Associate in Science in Law Enforcement & Legal Office) Just so that everyone is clear as to where my points of view are coming from.

Fanime provides a service in the entertainment industry. Are we not entertained for the weekend ^^) To do so they must "Rent" space to have the event (as a whole) so they contract with an event space provider. With that agreement there are rules, guidelines, and regulations on what is and is not allowed with in the space provided that Fanime (or any event) must follow in order to have that event there. Summary: Convention Center Rules/Guidelines/Regulations

So that Fanime can have a fun filled entertaining weekend they also provide rules, guidelines, and regulations for all attending the event to be safe and enjoy the time that they are there. These are listed in the Program guide that each person is given at Registration when they "Purchase" their membership for the time they will be there. (Fanime 09 Program Guide pg. 16 & 17... Code of Conduct & Weapons Policy)

To help assist in any problems that do develop they have a department called "Rovers." These people are there to do MANY Jobs for the whole weekend & Like CON Ops they are never appreciated enough for all that they do.

Fanime Con Program Guide ~ Page 16, second column third bullet:
"Please do not harass others. Please do not threaten, bully, stalk, or mob people. Please respect other people's private space."
Summary: Fanime Con Rules/Guidelines/Regulations

Now every business must function within the Rules/Regulations/Guidelines of the United States of America, and for Fanime (or any other convention in the San Jose area) the State of California, the City of San Jose, and the county also have Rules/Guidelines/Regulations to adhere to.
Summary: MORE Rules/Guidelines/Regulations

Are you starting to see a theme here? So each person who bought their "Membership" was given the knowledge on how to conduct themselves and how others should conduct themselves. If it became a problem then you contact "Rovers" so that they can make sure a fun time is to be had by all. BFFF :P Goooo ROVERS!

Signage and the use there of in this case is allowed by Fanime and like a "drivers license" it is a privilege. Though we are granted "Freedom of Speech" in the US Constitution, I don't think most of you are aware of the "LIMITATIONS" that even that Freedom has on it today. (Sexual Harassment, Verbal Domestic Violence, and new laws are being created to cover the use and wordage on the internet that all are Limitations of the broad topic of Freedom of Speech)

Reasonable signage has been accepted by Fanime in years pass, but if it is severely abused then I could see them putting direct limitations on it. I personally don't want to see this happen because I have found in the past five years some REALLY Great signs and some creative ways to get attention. I have photos somewhere :P In order to prevent this from happening we must govern ourselves and act appropriately to each other. If in doubt, talk about it to the person and if they don't listen or you don't feel safe in doing so... Call ROVERS :P

So as a whole I felt it was creepy to see a group that big with signs and some were a tad aggressive. I just walked down the center of the concourse to avoid "having" to hug any. When I got past them I felt sad and not because I didn't hug any of them. I do like to give hugs and I give hundreds over the weekend at Fanime, but it was so "IN my face" that it made me standoffish and go against what I do... Squidges (my term for hugs and found in the movie Hook with Robin Williams & Dustin Hoffman) So due to my flaw at seeing so many I apologize for NOT hugging any of you, but I would appreciate a much better approach so that I feel the desire to "give you a hug."

This is only my opinion

for those I didn't get to Squidge over the weekend... SQUIDGES ^^)
Love to all
BSaphire

BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

KitsuneOniko

Quote from: Mr. Wendell on June 03, 2009, 12:44:08 AM
I'm indifferent towards the hug line.

However, if Fanime attendees made a Soul Train line, count me in!!!

lol you know we'd even bring that up on our stage Kuya! XD

KitsuneOniko

Thanks for even more elaboration and insight of several points there B~! :D And btw it was awesome to always see you again this year and every year! ;D

Rhornez

ya all the hugs i got people asked and i approved of with a steady silent as i was cosplayed as Near  :P and also mello from death note also hugged me even thought were rivals hehe

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

deonchan

Calvin...

Rovers
Suits
Musicfest
Ops Div

DentyneIce408

^Thats a good one LOL. I'd freak out too, if I get hug by someone like that. By the way got anymore?
- Shall I leave my mark whether it's good or bad?
- As long as people remember me famous or infamous,
- I  will remain and roam in this world Alive or Dead.