The hug line

Started by Dagger-6, May 26, 2009, 06:54:26 PM

Rhornez

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

BunofGovt

Okay, so before the hug line, I did give and get a few hugs.  Once the hug line became the hugeness that it was, I did not give any more hugs.  But not because of the signs and peeps, etc.  No, it was because while I was walking around, a young lass held out her arms for a hug so I hugged her.  She immediately gave a thrust with her 'hip' and said, 'bang, you're pregnant, now pass it on.'  I laughed it off, but afterwards realized that it really bothered me that she would prank like that.  So I decided to be more cautious against getting pranked and decided no more hugs unless it was someone I knew.  Creepiness and invading my space I can deal with or ignore, but smart-assiness really bugs me.   >:(
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

anime4me

The hug lines seemed very annoying to me.  There were too many people in too small of a space.  If they want free hugs, maybe they could do it outside or something.  It also seemed desperate.  A few hugs is one thing, but I, for one, do not like huge mobs of people, however orderly and lined up they are, and feel entirely overwhelmed.  Mostly though, I think my boyfriend and I just laughed at a lot of them and spent a good hour psychoanalyzing the reasons.  So, my point is, hugs are fine, but not when it becomes crowded and creepy.
Sheena Fujibayashi: Did you see my attack?
Zelos Wilder: Oh yeah, baby, I was watching.
Sheena Fujibayashi: For some reason, I don't think that's what you were focusing on.

JTchinoy

This thread makes me laugh and frown at the same time.

Anti-Pocky Movement 201X

rude32

Quote from: JTchinoy on June 21, 2009, 02:38:58 AM
This thread makes me laugh and frown at the same time.
It makes me cringe
A hero forever loyal to the flames of war now rests in Outer Heaven

RUDE: Rub Up Desperate Elephants- Thanks shy-cosplayer

Liquid

Quote from: BunofGovt on June 20, 2009, 12:10:33 AM
a young lass held out her arms for a hug so I hugged her.  She immediately gave a thrust with her 'hip' and said, 'bang, you're pregnant, now pass it on.'

Wow, that is HILARIOUS! Completely wrong and against the rules....but HILARIOUS! :D
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

OGIGA

Oh dear, where was my mind? I didn't even notice the hug line. Where was it? I guess it didn't bother me at all.

I did get a few people who hugged me. Some asked if they could have a hug and some didn't. The ones who asked made it quite a nice experience. The ones who didn't ask kind of scared the heck out of me.

Rhornez

next year me and my buddies are gonna dress as the Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan guys and just do random poses in front of the dealers hall and gamers room just for fun while at the same time ima have a sign that says "Im really the leader the guy in the middle is a noob"

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

Ryo_Hellsing

The hug line was kind of fun. Every time I passed by I gave in to them because they would keep asking but other then that I loved it.

Everytime I was about to feel sad I just ran to the hug line and Bam! Instant hug full of wonderfulness. But that was just me. My friend Brent didn't really like them but I do get that after awhile it can get abit annoying.

ayame_nguyen

I thought the lines were fun. I didn't have a problem with it. but on Monday (2009) most people left and the line only had about 5 people. some of the guys were half dress and going a bit over board. they started yelling and like " aww come on . give me a hug " it was kind of akward . but the other days it was kind of fun. everyone in the hug like were by the wall and they weren't half dressed or anything and they stood there with open arms. they didn't say anything except thank you when you hugged them . People holding signs are fine.

Lucifargundam

I saw the line grow and such. I thought everyone praised it. I didn't participate(not enough time), but if it's there next year, maybe I will. I dont see a problem about it so long as people mind their own space and stay against the wall. Basic principles and whatnot. Like I said, it seemed to only be praised if anything at all. One girl walked around with a sign with a signature of every person that hugged her.

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

TC X0 Lt 0X

I don't think the lines were annoying or dangerous at all. It was just harmless fun. They always asked permission if they could hug you, at least when I was around. Loneliness aside, I think of it as a big part of Fanime for myself. It has always been there and has always been fun to grab all kings of hugs in route to an event in a hurry. Many pictures were taken.
I too saw the girl having people hug her and sign their names on her shirt. I made sure my name was BIG. Excellent, excellent.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Liquid

Rovers will definately be looking into putting a stop to anyone who is trying to give forceful hugs or jumping in front of people in the future. Personally, I do not see the Hug Line as an issue if those things are not taking place. However, we will have to discuss this as a group to decide what our plans will be in the future in regards to this. I will make sure this gets brought up as a topic at the future meetings.

I can promise though that we will break it up if those above things are reported and we will also break it up if it begins to cause traffic jams.
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff

Vensy

TT-TT'' I admit I ended up trying to AVOID that area after a while...because I would try to go somewhere and they kept hassling me for hugs... and I'm the kind of person who hates ignoring people and whatnot..so I'd feel so terrible for trying to ignore them to try to get to where I wanted to get to... >.> I mean it was funny when I first saw it..but yeah... they seemed to be like RAWR HUGS OR JOO EVIL...... yeah... gave off a bad vibe or somethin... D;
Go to http://vensy.net for cosplay and art updates! :3
2011 Cosplay: Miku Hatsune, Flandre Scarlet, Black Gold Saw, Suika Ibuki~~[/center]

AngelaSimple

It's been months since anyone has posted in this thread, but I'm just HOPING that there WILL NOT be a free hugs line at Fanime 2010.
I've been hugged without my consent, pushed into them, and forced into them although I've obviously stated I did not want to be touched.
It's annoying, aggravating, unwanted by many, and labeled as harassment. Please ban or keep heavy, heavy watch of these "free hugs" at
Fanime 2010 for the sake of other Fanime goers. Please.

PyronIkari

Quote from: xichisex on May 28, 2009, 02:56:54 AM
On Monday there was a line down by the Dealers Hall and I have to say that even though I like hugs, I avoided a few. [Some from some pretty unattractive hug givers]. However, I did hug this long line of really cute guys and two of them were shirtless! xD They weren't begging for hugs, but dammit to me - in my mind - they were screaming "HUG ME"! So my friend and I did. o_o And we went back and did it again. And then a third time. xD They were just so smexy. I say the 'FREE HUGS' signs are okay as long as you are cute enough to get one. Seriously. Some pretty ugly people had those and they smelt and looked pretty bad. =/ Ew. Also no 'AND/OR KISSES' signs. JUST NO!!

Wow... just wow.

"You shouldn't be allowed to do something unless you're at least this attractive". How absolutely shallow.

Jerry

Quote from: AngelaSimple on January 20, 2010, 08:28:14 PM
It's been months since anyone has posted in this thread, but I'm just HOPING that there WILL NOT be a free hugs line at Fanime 2010.
I've been hugged without my consent, pushed into them, and forced into them although I've obviously stated I did not want to be touched.
It's annoying, aggravating, unwanted by many, and labeled as harassment. Please ban or keep heavy, heavy watch of these "free hugs" at
Fanime 2010 for the sake of other Fanime goers. Please.

In Recent Years staff along with other Con-goers have expressed their opinion about the usage of signs. as well as their dislike for apparent " hug wall / line " last year.

Simply put - we are trying to avoid any type of " Solicitation " essentially a quid pro quo type of situation. - Basically asking someone to do something in return for something else.

The grey area [and sometimes also a liability issue] is when people advertise " Free stuff " - such as hugs, cookies/food, or art.

just remember that safety and all con-goers security is key to enjoying your Convention.

if anyone is harassing you or preventing you from walking down a hallway or the concourse itself and demanding unwanted physical attention the just let us know.

Some of our bigger menacing looking Rovers know how to disperse crowds with their angry eyes  >:(
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Liquid

As stated a bunch of times somewhere in this thread; we really have no reason to disperse the hug line unless people are breaking the rules (blocking pathways, harassing people, ignoring boundaries, etc.) We (we being Rovers) plan to keep an eye out for these sorts of things, but we can not be everywhere at once and sometimes things are missed. So, if you see anything questionable or are a victim of having your boundaries ignored or are being harassed, please do not hesistate to report it to a Rover. If you don't report it, we probably won't know about it. Telling us after the con on the forums isn't really going to help things get resolved during the con. :-\

In regards to 2010; I don't see us banning a hug line altogether (although it's not my decision to make.) However, I do see us dispersing a hug line if things get out of hand and become a problem for other con-goers. Personally, if I see a hug line I will try to make sure that they are aware of the rules and if I see anything questionable I will give out some warnings. If warnings are ignored, then it will be dispersed. :)
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff

Jerry

its just because you like getting hugs Liquid.  ;)

but we have to watch out for our more reserved and "please dont touch my bubble" folks.

not everyone likes physical contact. :P  To each is own.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Liquid

lol, so true. I love hugs. The hug line never gave me a reason to disperse them. I never really witnessed them harassing anyone and I was always asked for a hug before being hugged.

I can understand though that there are people out there who don't even want to be approached and asked for a hug. Because even though they don't want a hug they are generally good natured and will feel pressured to say yes. Personally, I'd like to see if we could keep the hug line against the wall and attempt to keep them from approaching individuals directly, to narrow down the awkwardness some feel. However, we will have to discuss this topic with the Rover heads at one of the next meetings for an official ruling.
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff