Row Row Fight the Power! Gurren Lagann Gathering 2010

Started by redroses3164, May 27, 2009, 12:03:45 AM

redroses3164

"Don't underestimate us! Whether it be time, space, or alternate realities; they mean nothing to us. We will pierce the path and methods you've chosen! That is who we are, The Dai Gurren-dan!"

Information
Day: Saturday
Time: 3:00 PM
Meeting Place: Fountains in Front

Characters: ~ Last Updated: 4/28/10 ~ Count: 20 ~
Adiane: Azylion
Boota: PacificPikachu
Kamina: tickyhead's friend ?; Hime no Toki's friend
Kittan: Ginryuu/Ginryuu
Nia: Hime no Toki; call_me_canada/call_me_canada (Messenger)
Rossiu: Neo-Zaku (Time Skip)
Simon: tickyhead's friend ?; StarAssassin; konata00/konata000 (Commander or Garlock); God91125; havocluver ?
Yoko: redroses3164/RedRoses; tickyhead ?; hunnybunny666; Vensy/Vensy; jinglebooboo (Starboob); kuroikouma; havocluver ?
Zorthy: Barnes

Key:

• Fanime forum accounts / Cosplay.com accounts
  • ? = people who are unsure.
  • (alternative outfit). If it's their signature/default/pre-timeskip outfit, then it will be unlabeled.

Disclaimer:
Fanime will be taking group pictures during the gathering this year. If you do not want to be included in those pictures please step aside for those photos. By remaining with the group when the pictures are being taken you give your consent to be photographed.

Other Links:

Barnes

I suppose I'll give cosplaying a try next year. I just don't know who to go as.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

tickyhead

Me and a few friends are likely going as Kamina, Simon, and Yoko (me!) next year. I'll try to get them to come to the gathering, but at the very least I'll try to be there (depending on the day and time, of course).

Barnes - There's a slew of characters in Gurren Lagann to choose from. I'd like to see some of the less cosplayed side characters roaming around, personally.
あんた の 靴様 は 今 何処だ!?

redroses3164

Did you guys like having the gathering at 4:30 on Saturday? Not that it is set in stone yet, but I'd like opinions on what day/time we should get the gathering. I thought the gathering for Fanime 2009 was quite nicely sized for that particular day/time.

I'll start editing the list above with potential people and corresponding characters.

@Barnes: Have a picture of yourself online? We can help you choose if you want assistance. :)

@tickyhead: Do your friends have fanime/cosplay.com accounts or should I just label them "tickyhead's friend"? That's what I'll put for now.

tickyhead

Neither of my friends have accounts, they're even more antisocial than I am. They'll have to remain as "tickyhead's friends" until I can get them out from under their respective rocks...

Also, 4:30 works fine for me, I think.
あんた の 靴様 は 今 何処だ!?

Barnes

Quote from: tickyhead on May 27, 2009, 11:52:17 PM
Barnes - There's a slew of characters in Gurren Lagann to choose from. I'd like to see some of the less cosplayed side characters roaming around, personally.

If you say so, then I'll try the cigarette guy (Zorthy?)

Guess I better start shopping then.
Yay, Haruko.

redroses3164

@Barnes: There are plenty of minor characters you can cosplay as.

Here's a picture of some of the side characters.

From left to right (err if I remember their names correctly... spelling is difficult):
Kidd Coega
Zorthy Kanai
Attenborough Cortitch
Iraak Coega
...guy with glasses... dunno his name.
Jorgun and Balinbrow Bakusa
Gabal Docker

Other side characters that are guys (unless you wanna crossplay?):
Dayakka
Makken
Old Coco

And not quite main characters but more than side characters:
Kittan
Leeron (<3)
Rossiu

Barnes

Zorthy wears sunglasses? I'm convinced.  ;D
Thanks for the image.
Yay, Haruko.

Neo-Zaku

Well I play on being there again as Time Skip Rossiu. And next year I'll be bringing the sign again as it seemed to amuse many people.

I would also like to thank everyone who came to the gathering this year. I wish I had gotten the name of the very nice woman who let us pose around her very awesome car so I could thank her too. Lastly, I would like to thank everyone for putting up with me (dressed as Rossiu) playing the part of organizer and cooperating very nicely for the various shots and poses.
There is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack is to be able to throw yourself at the ground...

...and miss!

Proud Member of TGC!

redroses3164

I'm planning to bring a cd/radio/some type of sound system to play the soundtracks that is packaged with the LE DVD Part 3. I think there should be some bumping music dontcha think?

@Barnes: No problemo! =3 So can I put you down as Zorthy for the gathering next year then?

@Neo-Zaku: I'm really happy that you made the gathering last Fanime. It would have been uber disappointing if there wouldn't be one because TTGL is so big and yet there may not have been a gathering in the first place. So thanks! :) And I love your sign <3.

Barnes

Yep. I better get started then.
*Tries to bend a cigarette* Oh yeah, now I remember how.

EDIT
Quote from: redroses3164 on June 02, 2009, 06:08:21 PM
I'm planning to bring a cd/radio/some type of sound system to play the soundtracks that is packaged with the LE DVD Part 3. I think there should be some bumping music dontcha think?

I forgot to mention that the GL themed car had music playing from it's sound system. Maybe that will happen again next year? Worst case scenario is that I could bring a boombox thing from my house.
Yay, Haruko.

redroses3164

Fantastic~ =)

It did? Awesome. If the people who brought that car come again, it'd be perfect! I wasn't personally there when the car was parked yet (since I practically ran past the gathering last year to do the Anime Vice panel) so if it happens next year, uber-awesome. :)

Is your boombox loud? I'll have to dig for mine since I have no idea where it is hah.

Edit: Which Zorthy will you do? Pre-time skip or that uniform one?

Pre-time skip:

Look at the very left. He's wearing a pink shirt.

Or the uniform one I posted earlier:

And just for a cool shot of the uniform one: click here
(It's a bit big so I'll just link to it)

Barnes

QuoteWhich Zorthy will you do? Pre-time skip or that uniform one?

Sorry that I took so long to answer, but I'll do pre-time skip (the outfit looks easier for me to make. I'd like to keep it simple is all)
And 4:30pm on Sat sounds okay, so long as Fanime doesn't do something like:
Play the second GL movie at the same time. XD

Edit:I was about to suggest something to do with the "Hellfire Challenge" at Smoke Eaters (formerly University Chicken), but then again......Maybe I'll do that on my own. XD
Yay, Haruko.

redroses3164

Okay dokie. Since it's pre-time skip, I won't have to change anything in the list then. :)

Oh man that would be funny if they played the second movie at the same time just like last year XD Hopefully the panel organizers will look at the gathering list and see it shouldn't be near the GL cosplay time slot.

"Hellfire Challenge?" I assume it's spicy chicken wings and you gobble as much as you can until you are about to pass out? That'd be a pretty manly challenge haha. Maybe we can buy a bunch and have a contest? It'd be neat.

Barnes

Quote from: redroses3164 on June 21, 2009, 11:13:49 AM
"Hellfire Challenge?" I assume it's spicy chicken wings and you gobble as much as you can until you are about to pass out? That'd be a pretty manly challenge haha. Maybe we can buy a bunch and have a contest? It'd be neat.

Yep. Here is what I'm talking about: Hellfire Challenge Manliest/Bravest cosplayer contest, anyone? XD
This is only a suggestion that I'm throwing out. Nothing more.
Yay, Haruko.

redroses3164

It seems quite fitting for an epic event at the Gurren Lagann gathering though. If there is interest in it (heck I'm interested in it but I suck at eating spicy things), then it can be an event after photos (wouldn't want anyone fat before pictures right hehe). Well first thing first is to have a larger cosplayer list than this... but hey we'll see.

We have plenty of time to plan this thing but I am digging that suggestion (oh bad Gurren Lagann pun is bad but the opportunity struck).

hunnybunny666

Count on me being Yoko pre timeskip despite my lack of humongous boobies. =) This will be my first convention/cosplay. I got a lot of work ahead of me!

redroses3164

oooo first convention and cosplay? Awesome. I can't wait to see. :] I've added you on the list.

Barnes

Quote from: redroses3164 on June 03, 2009, 07:19:08 PM
Edit: Which Zorthy will you do? Pre-time skip or that uniform one?

Hmmm, either in the black/gray pants, or the purple swim trunks (ep 12)
Pants it is!

On an off topic note, I can't find jacquard textile paint anywhere offline. I like to use it for custom t-shirt making. A friend of mine has some, but she hasn't talked to me about where to find it. Better get used to online shopping then. XD

*Makes a t-shirt, version 1.0* (I know that Zorthy doesn't wear a white t-shirt, but I made one for the hell of it. distance shot)
Yay, Haruko.

redroses3164

You can't find jacquard textile paint offline? Shouldn't your local craft store have it (or off chance maybe a home improvement store)?

I've wanted to get into custom making t-shirts for a long time now though I'm more into the graphic design stuff than text. I'm not clever enough to make a witty t-shirt design like the ones I see online.