Dealers Room vs Swap Meet

Started by Steven McIntosh, May 27, 2009, 02:06:20 PM

Which were you most satisfied with this year?

Dealers Room
12 (20.3%)
Swap Meet
47 (79.7%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Steven McIntosh

Which were you most satisfied with this year, the dealers room or the swap meet?
1994: First Fanime
1999: Volunteer
2000 - 2001: Video Programming Head
2002: Video Programming Staff
2009: Stage Zero Staff
2013: Anime Programming Second

Steven McIntosh

To answer my own question, I didn't find anything I wanted in the dealers room, but landed myself the original NES Zeldas I and II practically brand new in their boxes at the swap meet.

Barnes

I'd say Swap Meet, but overall I really liked the Artist Alley.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

Knightfire

Swap meet, snagged alot of toys there :D
Starting work for Fanime 2011

Roguethe

I did not really get to browse the Swap-Meet much, as I was busy selling like crazy in there. XD
But I did find some promo bleach posters and things you wouldn't find in the Dealers room.
Unfortunately I missed out on another seller who had Hetalia figures! D:
By the time I was able to get away from my spot to look, none were left. (Wa-Wa-Waaaah.)
Over all, it's a tie this year. But maybe next year, Swap-Meet will win as I'll have more time to shop myself.

I draw sometimessss

Jiraya

While I saw some cool things in the dealer room, I generally choked on the prices. I do regret not picking up some of the $20 boxset DVD's, but the apathy and looks I got when asking about getting a break on buying 2 or 3 together generally turns me off. I enjoy seeing and would pay for the rare and unusual, or a really good price on something more common.
the dealer room is fun and low key, buying video games, or the Milk Chan dvd's at a good price made the whole event that much more fun.
So much better to get a percieved deal over being able to brag about how much I paid for something.

TC_TROOPER

dealers room for me, got some nice figures for cheap on sunday/monday. swap meet was kinda meh for me.

Airi

Swap Meet. I found tons of mangas for a very good price, also got a cheap Sora figure as well :D

This year at the Dealers Room wasn't that interesting. It was pretty much the same as last year, and that shop at last years con, with the SEX POT ReVeNGe clothes, wasn't there this year, which I was hoping it was D: But, some stores were selling lots of new stuff, so that was fun XD

oriana3k

Swap meet.  I got 8 volumes of Kindaichi Case Files for $25, and for that, the seller owns my soul.  Love you man!  :D

bahamutknightzero

For me, both were pretty equal

Dealers: Managed to find some items that I liked and were a bit unexpected to find (two doujins from artists I liked, Sailor Mercury plushie, mini replica Shiki sword from Samurai Shodow series)

Swap Meet: Though most of what I saw I didn't buy, I did see some nice stuff (like the guys that were selling some japanese game books/mangas/non-h doujins). Plus deals are nice (a free small pack of Pocky for any purchase from one dealer)

Steven McIntosh

At last year's swap meet, I got the entire original Escaflowne VHS box set, practically brand new (the first three volumes had been watched once and not rewound, and the rest were still in shrink wrap), for $5.

Nina Star 9

I liked them both, really.

Swap meet: I got some harder-to-find and cheaper things (ChuChu Rocket, first half of Red Garden for $15), but most of the things there I had no interest in. Good for people who like more niche items and better prices, but there are no guarentees as to what you will find.

Dealers room: I got all my usual cutesy things (at the booth that at half off all Sanrio merch <3), which I'm happy about. Also, the Celga booth was <3, even if I totally can't afford brand. Still the same crop of merch for the most popular series and overpriced items (and some bad loli clothes...), but I got what I went there for.

Raydere

Swap Meet. Found some Dreamcast shmups for very reasonable prices, and I found a Dreamcast fight pad.
I also picked up 4 volumes of Evangelion Angelic Days (a $40 value) for $15.

But Dealer's Room was okay too. Picked up a Saturn for $55!
Raydere / Raymoo, purveyor of crazy Japanese music games
Twitter: @Raydere | Tumblr: raydere2

redroses3164

I absolutely without a doubt loved the Swap Meet more. I didn't sell as much as I wanted to but I sold enough to make me content. While walking around on Thursday's Swap Meet, I got Yuki Nagato nendoroid AND figma figures for only $20 total! And they're legit too~ I was happy to say the very least.

The Dealers' Room was okay. I got some Gurren Lagann stuff and random plushies but they're just things I'd normally get online anyway so it was decent-ish. The only "deal" I liked was getting the GL keychains/phone charms 3 for $10.

And even though it wasn't an option on this poll but I liked the Artist Alley more then the Dealers' Room. There were tons of prints I wanted to get but I didn't have the budget (or wall space) so I ended up getting one print and one original water colored piece. Both are gorgeous~

Kazuko

I was not a big fan of dealers because I went to the Celiga booth and for USED tea party shoes they charged waaaay too much for them not to mention the bunny bear bags (the really small one) was overpriced as well. It goes for 40 market wise

thats my only gripe lol

Dracil

The problem with the Dealers' Room is that they just charge the same price as their online price + tax + shipping so they aren't really worth it except from an instant gratification point.

i.e there were no real deals to be had.

Shinsengumi

This year I was able to find some good stuff at the Swap Meet than I did in the Dealers room this year. This years dealers room was ok, I like the Swap Meet more.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

Ayanami Rei First Child

Quote from: Dracil on June 01, 2009, 12:00:43 AM
The problem with the Dealers' Room is that they just charge the same price as their online price + tax + shipping so they aren't really worth it except from an instant gratification point.

i.e there were no real deals to be had.

I was able to find a nice price for my Cammy Figurine, and I saw some Ayanami Rei bedsheets that were pretty awesome. Although I WILL admit that many of the prices could have been more competitive with what you can get off Amazon or E-Bay. ^^; I also really love my cat ear hat, which is totally spiffy, and I've gotten some great compliments on my wings...although in retrospect I'd say those Large Wings WERE a bit overpriced considering they were made of foam >.<

I remember at the Swap Meet I got like a 4"-6" Figurine for only $10 total! I mean that's the kind of bargains I want! I also got a Menchi Plushie for only $16. That's the kinda of stuff that the dealer's room should have!

Lucifargundam

Swap meet::: I wanted to buy this light-up platform thing that one uses to trace drawings on. I want to bring some of my stuff for next time!! I got a great deal on an Invader Zim dvd as well.

Dealers room:::  great finds but i wish the prices were lower >.< i only got a few things this time.

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: TC_TROOPER on May 27, 2009, 09:40:42 PM
dealers room for me, got some nice figures for cheap on sunday/monday. swap meet was kinda meh for me.
Your not allowed to speak.

I got most of my stuff out of the dealers room.
I got a few cool things out of the swap meet, but nothing much.

More importantly though...
What is up with this Thread Necromancy!?

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.