Dealers Room vs Swap Meet

Started by Steven McIntosh, May 27, 2009, 02:06:20 PM

Which were you most satisfied with this year?

Dealers Room
12 (20.3%)
Swap Meet
47 (79.7%)

Total Members Voted: 56

abcbadcat

I usually don't step into the dealer hall until Saturday so I can see what is up in the swap meet first.

My friend picked up a Fatal Fury hat for $5 and I picked up a Mirror's Edge bag for $10.

The bag seriously made my weekend. I love Mirror's Edge!

ice queen

I liked the dealer's room a bit more just because I mainly bought clothes and goggles. >.>
2011 Cosplay for Fanime-
Kingdom Hearts - Riku 100% complete
Axis Powers Hetalia - Russia 70% complete
Black Butler - Agni 0% Complete

Dracil

I spent $0 at both the Swap Meet and Dealer's Hall.  Instead, I spent almost $200 at the Artist Alley.  Yay for unique stuff. (Touhou and Monster Hunter shirts and books)

Impulse

Even though I worked with the dealers the swap meet got me two items I wasn't expecting to buy. A certain beanie baby and a Densha Otoko manga (Wish the guy had the other 2 volumes to complete the set)
10':
Friday I encouraged some of the artists. Saturday I worked as a dealer. Sunday, I taught a few people how to Salsa. After midnight I played NINJA in a chair due to injury. Monday I worked as a dealer again and all through out the weekend helped ppl.

PinkHairSasuke

I liked both equally. I liked how I was able to find all the Death Note stuff I was looking for in the Dealer's Hall such as the Misa wall scroll and the entire series of Death Note. The Swap Meet was completely awesome though! The prices were reasonable and I was tempted to buy alot lol I was really happy since I got Naruto the Lost Story for only $1 ;D

.::midnight.maiden::.

I had never been to Swap Meet before, and this year was my first time. I was really excited for it, but I couldn't go Thursday because of school. However, I went on Friday...

and let me tell you, I was extremely satisfied!!! :D I think I went totally fangirly over the cheap prices. Even though these were used products, most of them were in great condition. The owners were very nice and they let you look through some things, and flexible, too. ^_^
Dealers Hall is still okay, but if I look at myself in future years, I'll probably be buying more from Swap Meet. However, Dealers Hall is still appreciated because of the new and shiny goods xD
Fanime Attendee - 2007, 2009-
Fanime Staff - 2008(Panels)
AOD - 2011-

Lizchan33

I'd say swap meet.... I spent 28$ total :D
I was selling and trying to get people to haggle with me but they didn't want to :/
Lots of shy people......

Shinsengumi

I spent around $50 at the swap meet this year. Dealers room I only check about half the stuff there I didn't buy anything this year at the Dealers room.
You tame a dog with food, you tame a man with money, but you can never tame the wolf of Mibu (Miburo).

LordKefka

I spent like $160 at swap meet. $54 in dealers room...
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

DarkFujin

Quote from: DTJAAAAM on May 31, 2010, 09:27:23 PM
Swap Meet. They had what I was looking for... video games!

Same here. I was looking for games, and the swap meet delivered. I did buy some things at the dealer's room though, like an Afro Ken plush and some Mario-related merchandise, but I'm pretty satisfied with my games and Phoenix Wright manga from the swap meet.

Ayanami Rei First Child

Quote from: Lizchan33 on June 06, 2010, 12:07:14 AM
I was selling and trying to get people to haggle with me but they didn't want to :/
Lots of shy people......
Well if you're selling and you don't care about people haggling with you...put up a sign. That'll totally attract attention.

I was wanting to get a small like 4" Street Fighter Figurine, and the guy wanted like $15+ for it! I mean for that price I got a 1' tall figurine/action figure thing! INSANE! 

Also this one chick was selling this shiny pink necklace...but she wouldn't drop it below like $35, or was that $30. I could find something that nice or better on e-bay for cheaper. Hell Lokisa sells some nice stuff for cheaper!

Lizchan33

Quote from: Ayanami Rei First Child on June 10, 2010, 02:58:09 AM
Quote from: Lizchan33 on June 06, 2010, 12:07:14 AM
Lots of shy people......
Well if you're selling and you don't care about people haggling with you...put up a sign. That'll totally attract attention.

I was wanting to get a small like 4" Street Fighter Figurine, and the guy wanted like $15+ for it! I mean for that price I got a 1' tall figurine/action figure thing! INSANE! 

Also this one chick was selling this shiny pink necklace...but she wouldn't drop it below like $35, or was that $30. I could find something that nice or better on e-bay for cheaper. Hell Lokisa sells some nice stuff for cheaper!
I didn't have paper to write on ._.
But I told people walking up to haggle

sakurakiss

Quote from: Tsuzuki on May 27, 2009, 02:06:20 PM
Which were you most satisfied with this year, the dealers room or the swap meet?

Swap meet by far! Had better prices and more variety in my opinion.
앤지

BunofGovt

I like the swap meet better cause I could find older items that are available anymore (figures, things from older series or not so popular ones) and I found a cute little eyeglass cloth for under a dollar for my friend (she loved that it had one of her favorite characters in a bunny outfit) that I'm sure would have cost $5 or more if sold in the dealers' room.

But I'm usually in the dealers' room for manga and dvds.  I did get t-shirts this year, tho, two steampunk themed ones and a third one.

And re the Artists' Alley, my friends spent more time in there than I did, except for Monday, and I picked up quite a few nice pieces of art.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Nina Star 9

Quote from: Ayanami Rei First Child on June 10, 2010, 02:58:09 AM
There was at least one girl that I know who was selling some brand-name lolita items, so it is possible that the necklace really was worth that much. Of course, you probably could find something of the same quality for cheaper, but ~$30 seems about right for a brand plastic necklace. But then again, I've seen brand bracelets and rings go for more than ~$30, and necklaces go for about twice that.

Just because it's at the swap meet doesn't mean that it'll be cheap (or that you'll know what it is and why it is being sold for that much).

...Though, I did get my copy of Legend of Mana elsewhere for about $35, $15 less than it was being sold for at the swap meet. Just because it is worth a lot doesn't mean you have to sell it for the full price, since it is, after all, a swap meet.

Rin_chan

Hello there, this is my second FanimeCon and I didn't get to make it to the swap meet last year. Though I was happy with my purchases in the dealers hall, though I didn't shop much at all.

This year I'm looking for some Yu Yu Hakusho stuff, and a friend said I'd have better luck in the swap meet since the anime is a bit older. (It is from 92 ^^;) Does anyone have experience finding anything from this anime? It's my main goal for the entire weekend, besides meeting more awesome people of course XD

Thanks for any help!

mariotheotaku

Quote from: Rin_chan on March 20, 2011, 10:32:48 AM
Hello there, this is my second FanimeCon and I didn't get to make it to the swap meet last year. Though I was happy with my purchases in the dealers hall, though I didn't shop much at all.

This year I'm looking for some Yu Yu Hakusho stuff, and a friend said I'd have better luck in the swap meet since the anime is a bit older. (It is from 92 ^^;) Does anyone have experience finding anything from this anime? It's my main goal for the entire weekend, besides meeting more awesome people of course XD

Thanks for any help!

I remember seeing some Dvds and plushies last year but yeah, the swap meet is probably the better place to find stuff like that.

Hachimitsu

Thanks for any help!

hey rina, its not the same person as you are when you visited the AOD 2011 is it? someone did requested yu yu hakashu stuff as well and I was wondering who wrote the requests on the clip board for The our next swap meet holdings O_O!....

just wondering if it is you!... (im the guy who wears tom nook)

Rin_chan

Quote from: Hachimitsu-ink on March 22, 2011, 01:58:46 AM

Thanks for any help!

hey rina, its not the same person as you are when you visited the AOD 2011 is it? someone did requested yu yu hakashu stuff as well and I was wondering who wrote the requests on the clip board for The our next swap meet holdings O_O!....

just wondering if it is you!... (im the guy who wears tom nook)

sorry, wrong person here XD wish i could have made it to AOD though

Nina Star 9

Thanks for any help!
I have a figurine that I'm planning on selling at th Swap Meet. It has a stand and two figures, one of each of the forms of the baby guy (as a baby and as an adult). I'll have to look to make sure I have all the pieces, but I'm willing to sell it to you if you want. :D