Carpoolin' Idea

Started by Kertus, May 28, 2009, 10:16:54 AM

Kertus

I noticed near the end of the con that there were a few people who were without rides back home and I felt bad that I had no way of helping them back besides asking random people at the con if they were headed the same direction and had space.
I was just wondering if it would be possible to just setup a table or have the people at the info desk run something about this.  Like if you've been ditched at the con or for whatever reason have no way home that you can drop off some info like phone #, where you're headed and how much stuff you have.  Then if people have extra space and they wanna meet you before end of con they could call you and see if they'd wanna give ya a ride?
I'm sure the idea could be refined more, but I thought I'd put it out there since I dunno if it's been discussed before.  in b4 not enough staff
Mario '06. Sven '08. Jared '09. Gai '10. Cobra '11. Kenji '12. Spike '13.
irc.rizon.net #fanime Click here to connect to IRC

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Kertus

Quote from: ewu on May 28, 2009, 10:22:05 AM
sure, we also have this:
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,9506.0.html

Oh yeah I know about people gettin rides TO the con from where they live.  I'm talking about the people that have been marooned at the con and walk around desperatly asking people for rides BACK home.

Stythys

I think this is a good idea...I'd certainly take people with me if they had no ride
"We should not be less than what we are."

grimmjow925

that's sound great i could even help i have cars with lots of space ;D

Kertus

Woo, we've got a handful of people interested in this, we should start coming up with a system of sorts, I've already got some ideas. grimmjow925 do you know how to irc? Stythys and me are already in the #fanime channel on rizon.

OGIGA

What? I'm really confused. People go to this convention and don't have a way to get home? Huh???? Are some people really nuts?

Stythys

yes, yes they are. these are the people that make up fanime though =]

Kertus

Quote from: OGIGA on July 10, 2009, 07:33:40 PM
What? I'm really confused. People go to this convention and don't have a way to get home? Huh???? Are some people really nuts?

Well also the people who rely on whatever method they can even if it's a flaky friend to get them to the con and back, and then the friend flakes on taking them back.  Or if there's drama at the con and their 'friend' is a dick and abandons them. Or any number of things.

Stythys

exactly. unfortunately...life doesn't always go as planned

or is that...fortunately? it's an adventure!

BlueCharisma

There are also people that assume they are getting a ride back but never asked the driver beforehand.

I think this is a good idea. I just hope no one going to plan to use this for their way home.

KyraEnsui

I always carpool with my friends because it saves the trip for all of us plus the split with gas cost and if I feel tired, we can switch drivers.

I make sure to ask if they want a ride back and all. I like to make sure because I don't want my friends to be stranded. <3 Whenever you get a ride, make sure to ask for roundtrip. Easier. Just make sure you have room if you have lots of luggages and such.

grimmjow925

Quote from: Kertus on July 05, 2009, 06:35:41 PM
Woo, we've got a handful of people interested in this, we should start coming up with a system of sorts, I've already got some ideas. grimmjow925 do you know how to irc? Stythys and me are already in the #fanime channel on rizon.
not sure what that is can you explain it?

Stythys

Quote from: grimmjow925 on July 21, 2009, 01:54:37 AM
Quote from: Kertus on July 05, 2009, 06:35:41 PM
not sure what that is can you explain it?

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,12849.0.html

grimmjow925

oh i get it nowthanx!! pm me when you guys wanna discuss about this